09-08-16, 07:39 PM   #1
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Need help becoming deaf

Ok, I give. After a dozen years listening to the same idiotic gossip hello/goodbye from overactding NPCs, I'm giving in: I need help going deaf.

It seems to be the only solution.

I've tried everything I can think of to stop, interrupt, over-write, distract, pacify, or otherwise shove a sock down their throats and I've gone up dry.

Is there a way to shut them up? Pleeeese??

Or an index of sound/voice files for race/char/something so I can carpet-bomb null.oggs on them?

It's that or an ice-pick in my ears.
09-08-16, 07:48 PM   #2
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

I personaly use this and mute everything that normal NPCs say ingame: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...WoWSounds.html
09-08-16, 10:17 PM   #3
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

That nixes the gossip speech too? It doesn't say that in the description; or I'm blind and missed it. Guess I'll have to take a peek. Thanks.

Edit: Maybe I am blind but I can't find any files in that package that would cover the gossip speech (e.g., "I have sacrificed everything, what have you..." that the Illidari say every time acknowledge their existence)

Last edited by VincentSDSH : 09-08-16 at 10:23 PM.
09-09-16, 02:24 AM   #4
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

You can use the GOSSIP_SHOW event to temporarily mute the Dialog channel using SetCVar("Sound_EnableDialog", 0). All those sounds the NPCs use is on the Dialog channel.
09-09-16, 08:59 AM   #5
Lombra
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
You can use the GOSSIP_SHOW event to temporarily mute the Dialog channel using SetCVar("Sound_EnableDialog", 0). All those sounds the NPCs use is on the Dialog channel.
I don't know that this will work very well, as I'm pretty sure greeting speech is initiated by the client when you click on an NPC, while you have to wait for server response for the GOSSIP_SHOW event to fire.

Originally Posted by VincentSDSH View Post
Though, how does one get a list of the sound files? They don't dump along with the Art, iirc.
You need to examine the data files. You can use this, although I don't know if it's updated for Legion.

Originally Posted by VincentSDSH View Post
And, now that I think about it, is there a way to get the "<[text here]>" data from NPCs? (What would be a guild name in a player)
Scan the tooltip. It should be the second line or so.
09-09-16, 01:53 PM   #6
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
I don't know that this will work very well, as I'm pretty sure greeting speech is initiated by the client when you click on an NPC, while you have to wait for server response for the GOSSIP_SHOW event to fire.
It doesn't. There's a substantial delay so you hear them start talking and if you turn it back on on Gossip_closed, you hear none of the closing speech. If you put in a timer delay (say, 3 sec) you'll often catch some of the longer openings.

You need to examine the data files. You can use this, although I don't know if it's updated for Legion.
Thanks for that. I remember this thing -- explains why I had issues with MPQ.

Scan the tooltip. It should be the second line or so.
Thanks; I was hoping to shut down the talk just on the Illidari but, as you can see above, it's still problematic for nixing just a portion of the greeting/endings.
09-09-16, 06:14 AM   #7
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

I can but try -- I don't think I tried that CVar (shutting off all game sounds was just to jarring).

Not as good as nixing the really jarring/out-of-context ones individually but I'll take it for now.

Thanks.

Though, how does one get a list of the sound files? They don't dump along with the Art, iirc.

And, now that I think about it, is there a way to get the "<[text here]>" data from NPCs? (What would be a guild name in a player)

Last edited by VincentSDSH : 09-09-16 at 06:34 AM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Need help becoming deaf