05-20-10, 01:35 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
AVR Mod Broken in 3.3.5

Bashiok posted Blizzard's plans to disable the ability for mods like AVR to exist, as of 3.3.5:

This is a notice that we’re making changes in 3.3.5 in attempts to break the ability for the AVR (Augmented Virtual Reality) mod to continue functioning. For those unaware, this mod allows players to draw in the 3D space of the game world, which can then be shared with others who are also using the mod. In some cases this manifests itself through drawing/tagging/defacing the game world, but more popularly is used to give visual guides for dungeon and raid encounters.

We’re making this change for two reasons. The invasive nature of a mod altering and/or interacting with the game world (virtually or directly) is not intended and not something we will allow. World of Warcraft UI addons are never intended to interact with the game world itself. This is mirrored in our stance and restriction of model and texture alterations. The second reason is that it removes too much player reaction and decision-making while facing dungeon and raid encounters. While some other mods also work to this end, we find that AVR and the act of visualizing strategy within the game world simply goes beyond what we’re willing to allow.

The change we’re making in attempts to break the functionality is light in its touch and approach. When blocking any functionality we run the risk of affecting other mods, but we’ve targeted the changes as carefully as possible. If we find that the AVR mod (or any mod attempting to replicate its functions) are usable after 3.3.5 we will take further, more drastic steps.

The original notice is here.

Last edited by Cairenn : 05-20-10 at 01:43 PM.
05-20-10, 03:24 PM   #2
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ahhh - blizz delaying the enevitable...let folks do things now, that in a few weeks, the ICC buff will let them do anyways...

Marth

05-20-10, 03:37 PM   #3
Ither
A Firelord

YAY about time. Why the hell would I want something to tell me how to play? Addons are great, but those that "tell" you what to do is unwanted.

I want to enjoy the game, not be an autonomous robot.
05-20-10, 05:11 PM   #4
Thomdril
A Murloc Raider
I actually agree with you Galtar and feel the same, how ever, I recognize that what you and I may consider fun is different for someone else. The parts of the game that challenge us is fun for us, for others it may not be...so I'm sad to see Blizzard taking this stance.

Last edited by Thomdril : 05-20-10 at 05:30 PM.
05-20-10, 06:08 PM   #5
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Galtar View Post
YAY about time. Why the hell would I want something to tell me how to play? Addons are great, but those that "tell" you what to do is unwanted.

I want to enjoy the game, not be an autonomous robot.
Except that no one makes you use any addon at all. I'll assume that you wanna get rid of buff-helpers (Pallypower, etc), and item comparison mods that make it easier for you to compare the stats between 2 items...it's "making a choice" for you, by your definition, right?

Sad thing is, AVR is an addon that used the information already sent to the client to display stuff. Wonder when they are going to break AH mods so it's not as easy to list auctions.

Or click-to-cast mods so you can't click to cast anymore....or HUDs...<shrug>

They all make it easier.

(edit here) p.s.: If you raid, and use any sort of raid boss addon, I'll expect you to stop using it as well, based on your logic, as it tells you when things are happening, instead of you paying attention to the mob itself and making choices yourself based on what you, yourself, see, hear, etc...

Marth

Last edited by Marthisdil : 05-20-10 at 06:11 PM.
05-20-10, 06:25 PM   #6
Ither
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Marthisdil View Post
(edit here) p.s.: If you raid, and use any sort of raid boss addon, I'll expect you to stop using it as well, based on your logic, as it tells you when things are happening, instead of you paying attention to the mob itself and making choices yourself based on what you, yourself, see, hear, etc...
I love people like you, you make me rich off your stupid assumption. A+ DUDE!

Yes. I raid with no addons! I'm elite like that! (That was sarcasm if you don't know)

DBM is not AVR.

Item comparison is not AVR.

Pally Power is not AVR.

Telling you where to stand because your stupid, is well stupid! DBM advises us on what is coming. It doesn't necessarily give you a big damn arrow or draw a circle on the 3d world saying "GO HERE IF YOU WANT TO LIVE IDIOT!"

There's a HUGE difference in advising, and TELLING. AVR was a mod that TOLD you what to do. It essentially took quick reaction and thinking out of the game. DBM still requires you to utilize what little pea size brain you have to go "Hmmm, what exactly does Inhale Blight do?"

You an argue the point all day long because you are just FAR superior than I, but frankly you just made an ass of yourself. If you want to talk, make sure you know what the hell your talking about.

I still stand on my grounds, AVR was a mistake and I'm truly glad to see Blizzard lock it down! Before you know it AVR mods WOULD have found a way to make it automatically control your character. Hell, anything is possible right? God, could you imagine raiding and doing nothing more than just staring at the screen while AVR makes your toon move from one highlighted spot to another?

PS. If you are threatened or butt hurt by my response, I apologize. I'm German and I don't really care about your feelings.

05-20-10, 07:03 PM   #7
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Let me just jump in here to Marthisil's defense. Not everyone who plays is as elite as you proclaim yourself, Galtar.

Not everyone is as experienced in raids and dungeons as you seem to be.

Not everyone will know precisely where to stand or what to do at any given moment.

An addon such as AVR can and I'm sure is helpful in gaining some knowledge of what to do and when to do it.

Does a need to gain knowledge make a player a "stupid idiot" as you put it?

i don't think so...

Does insulting other people who post in this thread lamenting AVR's numbered days make the troll that throws the insults out like yesterday's trash make the troll a stupid idiot?

Quite possible...

Oh, if you can't tell, I'm not German, but I don't really care about your feelings either.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
05-20-10, 07:29 PM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Well, you guys had damn well better care about mine.

Behave. All of you. You are out of line and you know better. If this is going to turn into another flame fest, it's getting locked.
05-20-10, 09:39 PM   #9
Sythalin
Curse staff

Honestly, I'd rather see it locked. The point has been made and nothing constructive can really be added beyond what has already been.
05-20-10, 09:45 PM   #10
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Chaos, I realize that may be the way things are usually handled on the site you work on, but you know very well by now that we prefer to leave things open for people to be able to have discussions, as long as it remains civilized.

Last edited by Cairenn : 05-20-10 at 09:51 PM.
05-20-10, 11:48 PM   #11
Silh
A Fallenroot Satyr

/sniffle

Welp, there goes my Ping Direction addon.

Too bad they didn't decide to do something such as, say, stop providing player coordinates while in combat...
05-21-10, 12:39 AM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Never used this AVR addon. Let me see if I understand this clearly...

The raid leader discusses strats and draws on the game world to show you where you should be standing (much like a football coach discusses the plays on the whiteboard). This is where I get confused.... after all that strat discussing and the event starts, AVR then tells you on the screen where you are supposed to go? Is there an audio voice in AVR that screams "DONT STAND THERE, GO LEFT!" or what?

I can understand not drawing on the game world. The bit I'm confused about is how the addon takes over once the event begins and tells you how to play. Someone please clarify.
05-21-10, 02:12 AM   #13
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

There are many youtube vids showing it in action. Seeing it do its thing is the best explanation.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
05-21-10, 02:57 AM   #14
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Never used this thing, never will. But that's cause I've never raided before, bwahaha.

I think AVR can help those who are new to raiding (like me, when I finally do one day), but it's a shame it's being locked down. I can see the logic behind Blizzard's argument, but AVR doesn't really follow the same rules as other addons. I know they're going to block it and similar addons because it's interacting with the game world, but I mean, that's not a real reason, is it..?

Edit: Also, just something quick, but I bet someone sooner or later would have used this to create awesome, 3D, pavement-art a la Julian Beever. Click!
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa

Last edited by Wella : 05-21-10 at 03:05 AM.
05-21-10, 03:25 AM   #15
dr_AllCOM3
A Cyclonian

I never used the addon, because I fully expected this reaction.
How is Blizzard breaking it? By not sending coordinates?
05-21-10, 03:40 AM   #16
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

They're disabling camera CVar access.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
05-21-10, 04:11 AM   #17
hankthetank
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
They're disabling camera CVar access.
Phew! I can live with that. I was actually concerned how they planned to prevent the addon from working. On the other hand won't that also break TomTom?

Last edited by hankthetank : 05-21-10 at 04:15 AM.
05-21-10, 05:04 AM   #18
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by hankthetank View Post
Phew! I can live with that. I was actually concerned how they planned to prevent the addon from working. On the other hand won't that also break TomTom?
Oh, I'm sure whatever they choose to do to "break" AVR will inadvertently break a lot of other addons. They even state such, and that they will try to minimize it's affect on other mods.

Marth

05-21-10, 08:01 AM   #19
dr_AllCOM3
A Cyclonian

Removing the camera access was the most elegant way to break AVR. Imagine them breaking the coordinates in instances.
05-21-10, 10:10 AM   #20
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
It was really one of two choices:
1) Break the mod
2) Design encounters assuming everyone is using it

Remember Decursive in Vanilla? It was so efficient at striking down debuffs that they had to be both very strong and constantly splattered to have any effect at all on the outcome. It then became impossible to raid without it, until they disabled the key features in TBC.

Same principle. AVR is so efficient at telling people where to stand, that they'd have to design every encounter so that there is only a 3 pixel square that is safe to stand in, assuming everyone is using the mod and can find the square. So then it becomes impossible to raid without it. Better to disable it.

I do wonder if it affects the "Crazy Arrow" in TomTom though. I really like that thing.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » AVR Mod Broken in 3.3.5