09-12-12, 04:51 PM   #1
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Roll Your Own Fixes for 5.041

To Fix Quest Log breaking after doing a daily:

Change Line 7496 to:
Lua Code:
  1. daS1=format(QUEST_LOG_DAILY_COUNT_TEMPLATE,daD1,"*")
----
To fix dungeon eye missing:

Change Line 25269 to:
Lua Code:
  1. local mON={"NXMiniMapBut","GameTimeFrame","TimeManagerClockButton","MiniMapWorldMapButton","MiniMapMailFrame","MiniMapTracking","MiniMapVoiceChatFrame","QueueStatusMinimapButton","MiniMapInstanceDifficulty",}
----

To fix the world map fading out of existance when you mouse out:

Change Line 11248 to:
Lua Code:
  1. frm.tex1:SetVertexColor(1,1,1,self.BaA)
----

To fix the LUA errors on world map hovering over some zones from achievements being removed (wetlands, duskwood etc)

After Line 6795 (should be "if alw or not don then") Add
Lua Code:
  1. if GetAchievementNumCriteria(a) > 0 then
After Line 6799(should be "return format("%s%s %d/%d",col2,nam,cnt,nee)") Add
Lua Code:
  1. end
----

To fix the green blob wintergrasp currently is on the map

Change Line 24396 to
Lua Code:
  1. self.ZoO["lakewintergrasp"]["lakewintergrasp"]="0,0,1024,768"

09-12-12, 05:19 PM   #2
jovenyoung
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks!

I might add since line numbers are referenced and notepad doesn't have them, that people probably should download a program like notepad++ that supports line numbers.

09-12-12, 05:32 PM   #3
taeon
A Defias Bandit
Rythal,

You are a god among men.

These a-holes basically screwed you and you are still fixing their glitches lol.

I say bail and let them suffer.

09-12-12, 05:35 PM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
It's just not in me to do that... at least I only posted how to fix the bugs instead of fixing them and releasing it :P

09-12-12, 05:48 PM   #5
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
It's just not in me to do that... at least I only posted how to fix the bugs instead of fixing them and releasing it :P
this post along with the fixes just proves that your heart was in the right place with the fan update.

09-12-12, 05:51 PM   #6
Michaelgal
A Murloc Raider
You are the best. We respect you.

09-12-12, 07:36 PM   #7
jarda128
A Cyclonian
If i was an official developer of carbonite,i would accept help of Rythal to place his fixes in official update ...
and maybe another help with him too...
Rythal seems to be very skilled fixing bugs so why refusehis help
just my opinion ...

JK

09-12-12, 08:40 PM   #8
Drarkan
A Murloc Raider
My guess is that they don't give a crap about the bugs, infact they probably glitched it themselves

09-12-12, 09:54 PM   #9
Meganbtoo
An Aku'mai Servant
I no longer use Carbonite but you are a star Rythal. When you create your map addon will you post the details here so we can get it and donate to you, for your great work here and the one part of Carbonsh..e that is irreplaceable?

09-13-12, 01:42 AM   #10
shadow_wolf_30
A Fallenroot Satyr
thanks for the heads up on how to fix the quest log error. it works good again

09-13-12, 03:36 AM   #11
backlash666
A Murloc Raider
So what your saying (without really saying) is that in the last 3 days, since they last released the crud version, they couldn't be bothered updating it with 6 lines of code????

Ok I get the fact that they don't play WoW anymore. That's OK.

What I don't get is their unwillingness to make an effort, yes I know they came at the 13th hour and brought it out (broken) but they weren't around before hand, they haven't been reading their own forums, they were apparently unaware of MoP's patch release, which meant they haven't been paying attention to anything WoW related, let alone their own add on/forum.

I don't like the fact that Rythal was shunned for being the only person to step up and do what the original authors should have done in the first place and what he continually tries to do ( Like roll your own fixes lol). And before anyone starts, I do appreciate all the work the OA's have done with Carbonite, I have used it for many years, and donated in the past. I also agree that they own their code, it is theirs! I just don't agree with the way they have handled things since. I mean here's the quick version of what I understand went on.

Bliz released MOP Patch,
Everyone's addons went psycho,
Most addons were nearly fixed from day 1,
Carbonite OA's were nowhere to be seen, not even a "Sorry we're late, but we're on it!"
Rythal (After numerous attempts to contact OA's by others.) decided to fix Carbonite for the masses. And lets face it, we are quite a User Base.
After a few bug fix versions everyone is happy (mostly)
Along came the OA's, very late, who then throws out an unfinished (official) version, and cracks Rythal on the back of the head with the naughty stick for his troubles.
Now people who wrongly assumed the (Official) version would work properly, have replaced Rythals (working) version with it, and are now boned.
Rythal continues to try to help at risk of another crack with the naughty stick.

If you feel I have missed anything in this brief overview then I'm sure you'll let me know. Edits will be in bold after you have corrected me.

@Rythal

I assume by your posting that you make these roll your own fixes, free to use, without copyright?? If you could please clarify this? That way the OA's have no excuse for waiting another day before removing finger from bum and getting the hell on with it? Or does that sound unfair? Again, I'm sure you'll all let me know.

PS Spelling mistakes are due to a keyboard with no lettering left on it Lol.

Last edited by backlash666 : 09-13-12 at 07:35 AM.

09-13-12, 06:40 AM   #12
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by backlash666 View Post
So what your saying (without really saying) is that in the last 3 days, since they last released the crud version, they couldn't be bothered updating it with 6 lines of code????

What I don't get is their unwillingness to make an effort, yes I know they came at the 13th hour and brought it out (broken) but they weren't around before hand, they haven't been reading their own forums, they were apparently unaware of MoP's patch release, which meant they haven't been paying attention to anything WoW related, let alone their own add on/forum.

I don't like the fact that Rythal was shunned for being the only person to step up and do what the original authors should have done in the first place and what he continually tries to do ( Like roll your own fixes lol). And before anyone starts, I do appreciate all the work the OA's have done with Carbonite, I have used it for many years, and donated in the past. I also agree that they own their code, it is theirs! I just don't agree with the way they have handled things since. I mean here's the quick version of what I understand went on.

Bliz released MOP Patch,
Carbonite OA's were nowhere to be seen, not even a "Sorry we're late, but we're on it!"
Rythal (After numerous attempts to contact OA's) decided to fix Carbonite for the masses. And lets face it, we are quite a User Base.
Along came the OA's, very late, who then throws out an unfinished (official) version, and cracks Rythal on the back of the head with the naughty stick for his troubles.
Now people who wrongly assumed the (Official) version would work properly, have replaced Rythals (working) version with it, and are now boned.
Rythal continues to try to help at risk of another crack with the naughty stick.

If you feel I have missed anything in this brief overview then I'm sure you'll let me know.

@Rythal

I assume by your posting that you make these roll your own fixes, free to use, without copyright?? If you could please clarify this? That way the OA's have no excuse for waiting another day before removing finger from bum and getting the hell on with it? Or does that sound unfair? Again, I'm sure you'll all let me know.

That's how I have been reading the situation.. Except one small thing. (in bold)
I remember reading a post by Rythal, saying it was not him that has contacted the OA's. But someone who knew them.

Apart from that I will not comment on the drama that is taking place here...

09-13-12, 06:44 AM   #13
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Rythal (After numerous attempts to contact OA's) decided to fix Carbonite for the masses. And lets face it, we are quite a User Base.

@Rythal

First point I have quoted above - Rythal has said himself that he personally never contacted the OA's because others said they had tried. Not that it specifically diminishes him at all, but a clarification point (and I understand why he wouldn't).

Second, lots of people make suggestions on code replacement, I know Jeffrey is one I've seen in the forums for a while as well. Also, you assume that the OA's have access and time every day to get on these forums, file through lots of posts and then fix the codes - all very quickly, not something I assume. I think we could see more timely responses if the posts that happened, now that the OA's are back, are problems and fixes posted by others. Granted, I'm guilty of adding to the issue seeing how I respond to these messages - but I like to help give timely feedback, though it isn't official by any means.

This does give one good point however, I love this thread for what it was intended (or I believe it was intended) a place to report bugs and people to post quick fixes. Hopefully they can be found and incorporated quickly. Thank you again Rythal for your work!

09-13-12, 08:10 AM   #14
shadow78
A Cliff Giant
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by schizophrena View Post
This does give one good point however, I love this thread for what it was intended (or I believe it was intended) a place to report bugs and people to post quick fixes. Hopefully they can be found and incorporated quickly. Thank you again Rythal for your work!
This might help faatal out with finding bug's and fixing carbonite.
Have to say I'm a little upset how I respond to the quick post he did but with the little time he has to update I understand.
maybe the people on the forums can give faatal help with finding the bug's and posting the fix also if they know the coding for it.
I'm hoping this will help carbonite out and faatal.
But I would like to see Rythal part of team if faatal will allow it.
that would also help faatal out alot.. due to his RL stuff.

Please help faatal out.
Plus hear the plea's of the member's of the forums faatal.
If you need the help just Ask... As I think many will help you keep Carbonite alive.

09-13-12, 09:52 AM   #15
Zanariah
A Kobold Labourer
Thank you so much for the info on the fixes. Everything worked great. Only problem I am still having is a large black circle in the middle of Dalaran and Shattrath. Not sure if I did something wrong or if that is a separate issue.

Last edited by Zanariah : 09-13-12 at 10:15 AM.

09-13-12, 10:24 AM   #16
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Zanariah View Post
Thank you so much for the info on the fixes. Everything worked great. Only problem I am still having is a large black circle in the middle of Dalaran and Shattrath. Not sure if I did something wrong or if that is a separate issue.
That's an unrepairable bug introduced with the new patch. Any area that is "indoors" but still mountable (dalaran, undercity, cleft of shadows, caverns of time) causes the map to do that if it's transparent at all... there is no sure fire way to detect when it will happen. In mine it was fixed by docking / solid if it was a known bugged area, we will have to wait and see how they handle it and just live with it for now

09-13-12, 10:34 AM   #17
Appleptiker
A Murloc Raider
Hey Rythal thx for fixing the Update by providing "Do it yourself" help. So i'm asking if you could help with the language solution? the are French, Spanish and even german players like me out there who love to use Carbonite with my prefered language but it doesn't work.

09-13-12, 12:08 PM   #18
nexusguard
A Murloc Raider
carbonite

Bliz released MOP Patch,
Rythal (After numerous attempts to contact OA's by others.) decided to fix Carbonite for the masses. And lets face it, we are quite a User Base.

If you feel I have missed anything in this brief overview then I'm sure you'll let me know. Edits will be in bold after you have corrected me.

@Rythal

OMG i luv how you can simplify things ... i wrote a post and well wasnt as simple as you ... i hate how my brains works sometimes but you summed everything up and i have been reading the posts since the patch of 5.04 came out my roomie wont play without a working carbonite... people rely on it alot cause blizzards version of a smaller map for while out and a bout well really doesnt stack up or compare to carbonites map, among their also attempt for a quest tracker, wonder what else blizz will put in without letting the UI be scaled the way the user wants ...
but back to the things here ... i updated and did the official and noticed i was running 15-20 fps before i updated carbonite and when i updated it my fps dropped to 5fps to 1fps at times ... so theres an issue ...

09-13-12, 12:56 PM   #19
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Appleptiker View Post
Hey Rythal thx for fixing the Update by providing "Do it yourself" help. So i'm asking if you could help with the language solution? the are French, Spanish and even german players like me out there who love to use Carbonite with my prefered language but it doesn't work.
If you can get your hands or still have my fan update, replacing localization.lua in the official 5.041 will make it work again. Sadly I know some have asked about russian but that's not one I got done before I had to stop.

09-13-12, 01:56 PM   #20
blackpups
A Fallenroot Satyr
I don't have line numbers in my LUA file. I'm having a hard time finding where to make these changes. Is it possible for someone to post what the original lines were, so I can search for them and then make the replacements?

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Roll Your Own Fixes for 5.041