01-16-05, 06:39 AM   #1
Goatus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Memory cannot be "read" bug

Well i run out of ideas on that one... it happens to me rarely and randomly. I tried to reproduce it and nail it by turning off and on diffrent Addons but no luck

Worst thing is that i don't know if it is my addons fault or other authors addons and since bug sometimes appear and sometimes not i dont have any way to check this,

So im asking wow ui scripting gurus, maybe you know when this bug occur? I'm almost sure that it has something to do with two addons trying to read same memory adres in same time but no idea how that is possible.

Well maybe it is coz i use in all my addons saved variables per player char ie. table with fields named same as char. Can this be the reason? Code looks like that (example)

function SomethingOnEvent()

if ( event == "UNIT_NAME_UPDATE" ) then
if ( arg1 == "player" and UnitName("player") ~= "Unknown Entity" ) then
this:UnregisterEvent("UNIT_NAME_UPDATE");
initFunction();
end
end

end

function inintFunction

local name = UnitName("player");

if (saved_var ~= nil) then
if (saved_var[name] == nil) then
saved_var[name] = {};
saved_var[name].someOption = 1;
end
else
saved_var = {};
saved_var[name] = {};
saved_var[name].someOption = 1;
end
end

for me it looks perfectly ok... but maybe im doing some false logic thinking ;p

Well there is also other possibility... it _may_ be WoW bug but it is very unlikly...

Thanks

Edit: eek! it ate my tabs.... ah well nvm..
BTW sorry for my english
01-16-05, 01:59 PM   #2
mondinga
A Theradrim Guardian
I've seen this bug somewhat constistantly while working on the new version of GypsyMod. At one point it would happen on ANY login or reload, shortly after loading. I fixed a bug though, and it stopped doing it every time, but it still does happen on occasion. It seems to me it must be something with Blizzard's code, being exacerbated by handling multiple reloads and various mod code.
01-16-05, 02:41 PM   #3
Goatus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Yah exactly how it was in my case. It just started crashing WoW out of nowhere and stoped after few times.. And still i cannot reproduce it now even once.

I did small addon nothing as complicated as GypsyMod, but since it was my first addon that went hmm "live" i can't stop worring that it will happen to every person that download it... uh scary ;p

Thank you seeing that im not only one with such problem is comforting

Well im going to triple check my code anyways... again ;]
01-16-05, 04:21 PM   #4
Svarten
A Fallenroot Satyr
if you manage to make LUA code that craches the client, you need to report it to blizzard, that should not be able to happen. They can protect the client from hazardus lua code.

I to have had this happen to me, but since I can't reproduce it either I have just let it pass as an strange flux...

/Svarten
01-17-05, 01:44 PM   #5
Cide
Swedeheart
I know for a fact that if you try to use SetPoint(), with the parent argument being a child of the element you're using it on, WoW will crash. Took a while before I figured that out .

Also, invalid textures(TGA's or BLP's with inproper properties) also cause crashes pretty often.
01-17-05, 02:20 PM   #6
Goatus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Well actually overriding orginal Blizzard function for default tooltip anchor (GameTooltip_SetDefaultAnchor) so it set anchor as 'this' will also crash client on mouseover any moving creature ;p

But well Blizzard already did great job protecting client from crashes, like when you do something as stupid as trying to read from variable that doesn't exist or read table field that wasn't created yet.
06-05-05, 08:11 AM   #7
Frostwind
A Murloc Raider
Question Crashes

GRRR every 10 mins it seems my comp crashes with 'Memory cannot be "read" ',and its driving me crazy!I have been trying to fix this problem for almost 2 years now.It would go away then come back!I replaced cables,added and replaced ram,i am going to just buy a new hard drive if it keeps up!I don't uses addons of any sort,can someone pleeeeease help me!
06-05-05, 11:38 AM   #8
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

this also happend with EQ if you reload the ui to meny times this will happen.. its not a bug.. if you reload the ui its take up another amout of memory when it takes up too much this will happen.. this also happens to any game you can reload..
06-05-05, 03:33 PM   #9
LaRIC
Premium Member

Premium Member
Is it a 132 or 131 or 0 error in wow.. then it usually helps to reduce the memory front speed.

Wow is buggy and doesnt seem to handle fast memory.
06-09-05, 12:21 PM   #10
Frostwind
A Murloc Raider
yeah but it doesn't just happen with WoW it happens to any game i try to play >_<
06-09-05, 12:54 PM   #11
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
one thing I do know will crash the client is if you conccat a string like this x.. "|" .. y .. "|" .. z and try to display it. It'll completly freeze up the game, I think this is because it tries to parse this as a textlink and can't.

On another note, these errors may be due to the fact that some data can't be obtained by code at certain times. For example i've had instances where I pull a textlink and only parts or none of its there.

I think alot of this has to do with a system they've put in to prevent data mining by mods.
06-09-05, 12:56 PM   #12
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
FrostWind: sounds like you may have a bad ram chip or a sector on your harddrive thats bad.
06-09-05, 01:56 PM   #13
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

GRRR every 10 mins it seems my comp crashes with 'Memory cannot be "read" ',and its driving me crazy!I have been trying to fix this problem for almost 2 years now.
if i had this problem for 2 years i would of shot the dang computer and got a new one.. dont wait to use fire arms go out and get a new computer..
06-11-05, 06:36 PM   #14
Frostwind
A Murloc Raider
hmm sounds expensive T_T oh well i know what my birthday gift is gonna be for the next three years but if it will end this crashing i will sell my room!
06-12-05, 07:08 AM   #15
Cluey
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by LaRIC
Is it a 132 or 131 or 0 error in wow.. then it usually helps to reduce the memory front speed.

Wow is buggy and doesnt seem to handle fast memory.
I have to disagree with this statment, I am running my RAM on a 275Mhz bus!
It comes down to the quality of the parts you have and how they are setup.
From what I have found from working with PC's for too long is that people try and save money on the wrong components.

@Frostwind
I don't want to try and troubleshoot more PC's than I already do, especialy over a forum, but if you get inconsistant crashes I would look at your PSU.
06-14-05, 10:57 AM   #16
Frostwind
A Murloc Raider
Um...thats sounds good,but what does it mean?
07-02-05, 10:35 PM   #17
Rallion
A Defias Bandit
Personal experience.

If you're having problems with fast memory, you might want to look into problems with your motherboard. I bought my current motherboard in a...let's say an emergency situation, I didn't have much choice, and as it turned out the only one I could buy had a problem with RAM running above 166. (KM-400A chipset. I hate it, but since it's already bought and non-returnable, I look at it as being free.) I have DDR400, it crashed like crazy in all games, but especially in WoW. I looked into it, found out about the problem, went into the BIOS and clocked it down to 166 and I've had no problems since. Also, because of the limitations of this motherboard the machine often runs slightly faster this way.

If something like this is your problem, some UI mods might make it more likely to crash. In fact, they almost certainly will. But it's not their fault.

The motherboard the most complex and most fault-prone device in a desktop computer, and I find almost nobody ever imagines that it could be the source of a problem. Maybe because replacement is quite literally equivalent to building a system from parts. Heh.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Memory cannot be "read" bug