10-19-11, 07:30 PM   #1
Safturento
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Weapon Enchant Duration

It would be great if there was a way to determine the duration, and possibly the name of temporary weapon enchants. Currently, the only function that even has anything to do is GetWeaponEnchantInfo, and it only returns time until expiration, not duration. Whether it be added into an existing function (most likely GetWeaponEnchantInfo or UnitAura/UnitBuff), or added as a completely new function, it would make the lives of anyone who makes buff timers a whole lot easier.
10-20-11, 02:13 AM   #2
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Unfortunately I do not find any other API either...

I guess you gotta at the buffing stage record how long it was, i.e. so later use it knows "ah this buff started at X seconds" and such.
10-20-11, 04:22 AM   #3
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
Unfortunately I do not find any other API either...

I guess you gotta at the buffing stage record how long it was, i.e. so later use it knows "ah this buff started at X seconds" and such.
Can't do that if you log in or reload the UI with it already enchanted. 'tis a pain.
10-20-11, 07:55 AM   #4
Vlad
A Molten Giant

You can if you do this, use saved variables to check if the spell (id or name and rank) exists and if not the user has to reapply it in order to be added. Once done the addon cache contains info of the buff longlivety, and can now no mater if you relog or login check the savedvariable and find the timer it needs.
10-20-11, 05:27 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

An API would be nice I guess, but it's not that difficult or time-consuming to just make a hardcoded list of which weapon enchant comes from which spell, or which enchant has which duration.
10-20-11, 06:15 PM   #6
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
An API would be nice I guess, but it's not that difficult or time-consuming to just make a hardcoded list of which weapon enchant comes from which spell, or which enchant has which duration.
True, but to get the enchant after loggin in with a weapon already enchanted requires summoning a tooltip with it's item set to the weapon in mind, filling out the tooltip, reading the tooltip for which enchant is on it, then referencing back to a list of known weapon enchants. Just a little bit convoluted for my tastes :P
08-27-13, 03:58 AM   #7
Taraezor
A Fallenroot Satyr

I strongly disagree with any idea that temporary weapon buffs should be manually tracked.

Presently there is NO way to know reliably whether a Shaman has applied Windfury / Rockbiter / Flametongue / Frostbrand to the MH and/or OH. All we can find out is if there is a generic buff and if so, when it is due to expire.

So AddOns are unable to help wayward Shamans who have applied the wrong buffs or, as can happen, they got WF/FT around the wrong way!

Plus if the Shaman has Rockbiter and is in a level appropriate instance then that probably means an emergency situation, with a totally different set of rotation/queue recommendations (emphasising blowing CDs for big burn and/or something else to rescue a healer etc).

If a Shaman has Frostbrand and is not in an instance then it might mean questing multiple mobs and perhaps Magma Totem etc should be suggested to the Shaman.

Some people (such as me) do NOT want to parse the Combat Log = cpu / memory overhead. Yuck.
Constructing and parsing Tooltips can also lead to localisation problems (I mean spoken language and not LUA technique).

Simply add the spellID of the buffs to GetWeaponEnchantInfo. That is all that is needed and AddOn authors can do the rest!

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Wish List » Weapon Enchant Duration