03-30-12, 07:42 AM   #1
delymyth
A Kobold Labourer
FPS Drop with 4.3 (workaround)

Hello,
Since some time I have issues with Carbonite 4.3 and FPS drops just in some areas.

FPS drops badly in about every TBC instance and in a few other places.

Small workaround for those with big screens is pop up wow map (not the carbonite map), not in full screen, and FPS goes back to normal.

So it's a map issue.

today it happened to me while doing some archeology in Broken Commons (Feralas).
FPS drop when game tells me I'm in Dire Maul, Carbonite Minimap puts me at the entrance of Dire Maul, far away from where I am.

Again, popping up wow map fixes the issue, as does maximizing carbonite map centering on you.

Screenshots follow (recount FPS data is in the lower right corner):
1. FPS Drop above Dire Maul:
http://www.delymyth.net/storage/delymyth/Drop.jpg

2. Fixed with wow map:
http://www.delymyth.net/storage/delymyth/Full.jpg

3. Fixed with Carb map maximized (needed to center me on map first):
http://www.delymyth.net/storage/delymyth/Full%202.jpg

4. Full FPS again moving slightly out of the area:
http://www.delymyth.net/storage/delymyth/Full%203.jpg

5. Just to confirm it's Carbonite, disabled it and moved back to the area:
http://www.delymyth.net/storage/delymyth/No%20Carb.jpg

it's definitely some mapping issue that happens when, for some reason, Carbonite isn't able to spot the exact place where you are, mostly above or in some instances (doesn't happen in WotLK instances as far as I can remember, and doesn't happen in 25man LFR).

03-30-12, 03:26 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by delymyth View Post
5. Just to confirm it's Carbonite, disabled it and moved back to the area:
http://www.delymyth.net/storage/delymyth/No%20Carb.jpg
So, what happens if you disable ALL of your addons EXCEPT Carbonite? Running Carbonite (or any other addon you suspect of giving you problems) alone, as the only enabled addon, is the only way to be sure that addon is actually causing the problem.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

04-14-12, 09:41 AM   #3
xXTroubleXx
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
So, what happens if you disable ALL of your addons EXCEPT Carbonite? Running Carbonite (or any other addon you suspect of giving you problems) alone, as the only enabled addon, is the only way to be sure that addon is actually causing the problem.
Yes I am having the same issue as the OP. In addition to the cursor sticking to the minimap and having to reload in the middle of the bg. This happened last night and now carbonite is running 13mb of memory. On top of that getting 33fps stationary then 4-5 when aggroed.

04-14-12, 08:41 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by xXTroubleXx View Post
Yes I am having the same issue as the OP. In addition to the cursor sticking to the minimap and having to reload in the middle of the bg. This happened last night and now carbonite is running 13mb of memory. On top of that getting 33fps stationary then 4-5 when aggroed.
So, have you tried running Carbonite alone? If so, do you still have the problems?

The cursor getting stuck to the Carbonite minimized map leads me to ask if you are using LUI? Please see This Thread for information on that problem if you are.

If you have the Blizzard "Zone Map" (sometimes referred to as the "Battleground Map") open, try closing it by hitting "shift + M". There is a known issue for some WoW addon configurations, in addition to Carbonite, having FPS problems when that map is open.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

04-18-12, 12:00 AM   #5
xXTroubleXx
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
So, have you tried running Carbonite alone? If so, do you still have the problems?

The cursor getting stuck to the Carbonite minimized map leads me to ask if you are using LUI? Please see This Thread for information on that problem if you are.

If you have the Blizzard "Zone Map" (sometimes referred to as the "Battleground Map") open, try closing it by hitting "shift + M". There is a known issue for some WoW addon configurations, in addition to Carbonite, having FPS problems when that map is open.
Sorry been a busy week... No, not using LUI just carbonite & bt4. Have not wrote in ever as I work a lot. Just have problems with:
Sticky cursor - last time did reload and had really bad fps issues after. Wow was running over 1 million memory in processes (task manager) so had to reboot the whole machine.
Quest window - stays open but it is blank have to close it manually.

Been weird things off and on so I check the site for answers. Fingers crossed as this sticky cursor thingy is annoying.

04-19-12, 11:08 AM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by xXTroubleXx View Post
Sorry been a busy week... No, not using LUI just carbonite & bt4. Have not wrote in ever as I work a lot. Just have problems with:
Sticky cursor - last time did reload and had really bad fps issues after. Wow was running over 1 million memory in processes (task manager) so had to reboot the whole machine.
Quest window - stays open but it is blank have to close it manually.

Been weird things off and on so I check the site for answers. Fingers crossed as this sticky cursor thingy is annoying.
There are a couple of things I can think of that you can try. Just be aware that they might not work since I personally have not experienced these problems.

Try deleting Carbonites saved variables. To do this, go to your "Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\SavedVariables\" folder and delete the "Carbonite.lua" and "Carbonite.lua.bak" files. Please BE AWARE that doing this will completely reset your Carbonite installation back to default settings. This is because those two files contain ALL of Carbonites set up information for ALL of your characters. It is quite possible that those files (for whatever reason) have become corrupted and that's the only way to fix it.

If you feel there is something wrong with your Carbonite installation, after deleting those files, this would be an excellent time to reinstall Carbonite. Start by deleting the Carbonite folders in your "Path to your WoW folder\Interface\AddOns\" folder. There are four of them: Carbonite, CarboniteItems, CarboniteNodes, CarboniteTransfer. Then, since you've already deleted the files in your WTF folder, download and install a fresh copy of Carbonite and you should be good to go.

You could also run the WoW repair tool. You can do this by opening the WoW launcher and clicking on the "Help" button on the top of the launcher, and then choosing "Repair Tool" in the drop down menu. There is also a "Verify/Repair Game Data" option which works through the launcher itself. The launcher kind of looks like it's "patch day" when you choose this option, except there is a blue "Skip" button where the start button normally is and the "loading bar" is blue. I've only used this option once (I just tried it to see how it worked) and after using it the launcher looks just like it does after installing a patch. At least it did in my case.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 04-24-12 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Change the address for the AddOns folder to remove the "Carbonite\" part.

05-22-12, 01:53 AM   #7
Strateg
A Kobold Labourer
FPS Drop with 4.3 (workaround)

It looks like I have the same problem.

Somewhere (for example near the Blackfathom Deeps in Ashenvale) FPS drops from 65-71 to 7-11.
After patch 4.3.4 WoW started to freeze very often at any place.

I've deleted Carbonite's saved variables, removed all non-Blizzard add-ons and used the "Repair Tool" from Launcher but the problem still remained - when I came nearer to the entrance in the instance FPS dropped.

The problem disappeared only when I deleted Carbonite's folders. And yes, I've re-downloaded the addon - the same result on my both machines (under WinXP, I'm planing to test on Win7 in the next few days).

I'm very sad, because I like the Carbonite so much! Many thanks to authors - they do great job!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » FPS Drop with 4.3 (workaround)