05-21-15, 07:05 AM   #1
bsmorgan
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
PTR 6.2 API changes?

In the past, I believe I've found an API changes thread on WoWInterface but I haven't found a 6.2 thread. Is there a better place to look?
05-21-15, 12:32 PM   #2
humfras
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Apart from the new dungeon difficulties, there seems to be no API change so far.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Patch_6.2.0/API_changes
05-21-15, 12:52 PM   #3
bsmorgan
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by humfras View Post
Apart from the new dungeon difficulties, there seems to be no API change so far.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Patch_6.2.0/API_changes
Then perhaps all the Garrison addons (Master Plan, Garrison Mission Manager, Breeze, etc.) are using undocumented API features because none of them work on the PTR.

I did discover that you can hit space with the default Garrison Command Table interface to skip through all the animations. I don't know how long that's been possible as I've been one click completing all with Master Plan.
05-21-15, 01:30 PM   #4
Gethe
RealUI Developer

Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by bsmorgan View Post
Then perhaps all the Garrison addons (Master Plan, Garrison Mission Manager, Breeze, etc.) are using undocumented API features because none of them work on the PTR.

I did discover that you can hit space with the default Garrison Command Table interface to skip through all the animations. I don't know how long that's been possible as I've been one click completing all with Master Plan.
Alot of the Garrison stuff is being redone in 6.2. The animation skip is also new in 6.2.

05-21-15, 01:42 PM   #5
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member

These are changes to the Blizzard UI code, not the API itself.
05-21-15, 05:03 PM   #6
sezz
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Some C_Garrison functions now accept a follower type (LE_FOLLOWER_TYPE_SHIPYARD_6_2 or LE_FOLLOWER_TYPE_GARRISON_6_0), we got new shipyard mission table events (GARRISON_SHIPYARD_NPC_OPENED and GARRISON_SHIPYARD_NPC_CLOSED) and materialMultiplier returned by C_Garrison.GetPartyMissionInfo is now a table (currencyMultiplier[currencyID] = multiplier).

I'm not using any of the addons you mentioned, but they'll also have to update some hooks.

UnitAlternatePowerInfo was also changed:

local barType, minPower, startInset, endInset, smooth, hideFromOthers, showOnRaid, opaqueSpark, opaqueFlash, anchorTop, powerName, powerTooltip = UnitAlternatePowerInfo(unit);

Not sure if there's more, these are the changes I've encountered since 6.2 was on the PTR. (Oh and as of the latest build completing multiple missions is nearly instant, which is pretty awesome and propably the best 6.2 change if it stays like that when the patch goes live!)
05-24-15, 12:51 AM   #7
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Map Overlays seems to of changed.

The entire DBC file is gone now, and GetOverlayInfo returns nil if you haven't physically discovered it yet on the character.
05-24-15, 05:10 AM   #8
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Get[Map]OverlayInfo returns nil if you haven't physically discovered it yet on the character.
How is that different from the current behavior?
05-24-15, 05:39 AM   #9
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
It's not, I was actually just coming to edit that part... I've just never tried using it before when I hadn't explored and been a long while since I needed it over worldmapoverlay.dbc

I have found one API function however that's changed

6.2:
GetQuestObjectiveInfo(questID, index, displayComplete)

previously it was just (questID, index)

Last edited by Rythal : 05-24-15 at 05:43 AM.
06-21-15, 06:38 PM   #10
rowaasr13
A Fallenroot Satyr
Garrison Mission Manager will support all the changes before 6.2 release (i.e. I'll upload full 6.2 and pre-6.2 compatible version later today) and will support ship mission assignments in one more or two days.

I finally had a chance to break from regular WoW since my subscription ran out and go to PTR to fix all the stuff.
06-23-15, 02:11 PM   #11
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Apparently, there's a new XML attribute called mixin. What this does is take in a list of global tables and copies their entries into the table of a UI widget.
06-23-15, 02:18 PM   #12
gempir
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Apparently, there's a new XML attribute called mixin. What this does is take in a list of global tables and copies their entries into the table of a UI widget.
As a Sass developer this is raising my eyebrow.
06-23-15, 02:59 PM   #13
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
The dark xml rises again.
06-23-15, 03:17 PM   #14
Gello
A Molten Giant
The glorious XML!

This is an interesting tag. Thanks for pointing it out.
06-23-15, 05:35 PM   #15
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
The real question is it really worth to use xml besides the virtual tags? The time you gain with the faster executing is probably lost on the global calls.

Last edited by Resike : 06-23-15 at 06:22 PM.
06-23-15, 09:40 PM   #16
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I didn't say it was a good idea, but it might help people follow where some of the Blizzard methods are coming from. I've seen a bunch of it used in the Garrison UI.
06-24-15, 06:08 AM   #17
rowaasr13
A Fallenroot Satyr
GMM is updated some time ago to support 6.2 and is now uploaded to both Curse and WoWI.
Yeah, I noticed mixins while working on update too. They're convinient when you writing something, but make code somewhat harder to read for other people.
06-24-15, 07:48 AM   #18
Gello
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Resike View Post
The real question is it really worth to use xml besides the virtual tags? The time you gain with the faster executing is probably lost on the global calls.
What time difference are you seeing on a local vs global call? In my tests the difference is negligible even across tens/hundreds of thousands of calls. The difference seems to diminish even more when you start dealing with API calls that dwarf the execution of our addon's calling code.

Locals are definitely more compelling because they don't clutter the namespace and they prevent tampering.
06-24-15, 01:07 PM   #19
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It's very miniscule, but they're referring to the difference between the indexing operation on the global table and grabbing some value from the local registers.
06-24-15, 02:58 PM   #20
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by Gello View Post
What time difference are you seeing on a local vs global call? In my tests the difference is negligible even across tens/hundreds of thousands of calls. The difference seems to diminish even more when you start dealing with API calls that dwarf the execution of our addon's calling code.

Locals are definitely more compelling because they don't clutter the namespace and they prevent tampering.
It can still matter, on no-fps lock animations or very spammy combat log events, you can easily get 200-300k calls under just a minute.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » PTR 6.2 API changes?