01-15-12, 10:46 PM   #1521
Epiphany17
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Clynikal View Post
I love this, m'kay?

It wouldn't hurt to try out aligning the timers to the entire frame to see how it pans out but I do enjoy their current positioning - by that I mean they look amazing.
Thanks (:

Hehe, I may do that tomorrow, after I get everything done. Raven is so annoying to adjust point for point >->

Also! Some things are smaller, added shadows, etc. The big cast bar is the target cast bar, for interrupts. The player is down below because I'm rarely ever casting.

01-15-12, 11:09 PM   #1522
Zagrei
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Wimpface View Post
It's been fairly dead since WotLK. That was the primetime.
Because we had nothing else to do? Hehe :P

Personally, I have been SO busy with school and life in general, that I haven't had the time to do anything UI-related. I just got a new computer (finally!), and so I've been redesigning my previous UI to fit my new, larger screen. Pretty much the same old UI I've been using, but it just works so well for me Moving from a 13" screen to a 21" screen made me rethink font size, positioning of UI elements, and so many other things... still a WiP, but it's pretty dang functional right now.

1st pic: Simple as it gets, kinda sorta.
2nd pic: Everything but raid frames, which are inconsequential for my tank/dps setup. My healer setup is pretty different, so that'll have to come in either an edit, or another post :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_011612_000721.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	6759  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_011612_000418.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	384.3 KB
ID:	6760  

Last edited by Zagrei : 01-16-12 at 10:24 AM.

01-16-12, 03:08 AM   #1523
Noxah
A Defias Bandit
DevlinUI but moved around and edited so it supports basically every role/class

01-19-12, 12:44 PM   #1524
Epiphany17
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Might as well post it! My UIs currently all look the same minus the UFs, bleh.

Things to do -

- New quest tracker
- Align raid frames
- Figure out where to place DBM
- Remember how to change the fonts in PhanxChat (maybe).
- Modify boss frames a bit

C&C is appreciated!

01-19-12, 05:04 PM   #1525
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
I think we have reached a point where most original/revolutionary ideas have been implemented, there is a "solution" to a lot of problems which is generally easy to find, and people are now working on refinement instead. At least that's how I see it - it definitely is the case for me, my UI hasn't had a major update in quite some time now. I keep pushing out tiny changes to the theme, bug fixes, performance improvements, etc - but no drastic changes.

@ Epiphany; I like it. There are some things though which I would add to your to-do list if I were you:

- Get rid of/change the appearance of the raid manager to the left
- Adjust the font on your action bars - it looks a little blurry to me. Or well, blurry isn't the word - more like the size is a tiny bit off.
- Change the difficulty flag on the minimap to a generic text one with pixel font
- Custom pixelated role icons for unitframes - easier said than done, I know. I couldn't get it done because I suck at creating textures and there was no angel to make them for me What I did was replace them with generic coloured squares with a black pixel outline, however that's not too good for certain forms of colourblindness so I hope to change it one day.

Hope this is useful in some way

01-19-12, 10:22 PM   #1526
Ither
A Firelord

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I went back to the drawing board--well kinda, took some inspiration from some things I've seen.

Image 1 - this is the solo view, I have grid hiding.

Image 2 - here you can see grid is active and all the unit frames.

Image 3 - notice in this one how the frame alpha is on the grid windows? this is to show me who is out of range -- they fade into the background to distinguish close and not close.

Image 4 - this one shows the 5-man party/arena setup. Nib helped me with the grid change, I basically hacked up one of his addons to do one simple thing. Set my horizontal groups to active when I'm not in a raid, and when I am in a raid turn horizontal groups off. So basically in 5-man party my group is row 1. In anything past a 5-man it goes group 1 column 1, group 2 column 2, etc.

There are a few things I want to do;

- find a better chat addon (using prat)? I don't know what to do with the chat window at the moment.

- figure out if there is a way to make recount and omen hide if it's not in use. those black boxes really kill me but I like having them.

Any advice? I need another like 10 buttons to store quick launch things. Any idea where I should put it?

I think this is the SMALLEST my UI has ever been on a 30" monitor LOL.

This is where I came from; click link http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...postcount=1501

01-19-12, 11:37 PM   #1527
Epiphany17
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
I think we have reached a point where most original/revolutionary ideas have been implemented, there is a "solution" to a lot of problems which is generally easy to find, and people are now working on refinement instead. At least that's how I see it - it definitely is the case for me, my UI hasn't had a major update in quite some time now. I keep pushing out tiny changes to the theme, bug fixes, performance improvements, etc - but no drastic changes.

@ Epiphany; I like it. There are some things though which I would add to your to-do list if I were you:

- Get rid of/change the appearance of the raid manager to the left
- Adjust the font on your action bars - it looks a little blurry to me. Or well, blurry isn't the word - more like the size is a tiny bit off.
- Change the difficulty flag on the minimap to a generic text one with pixel font
- Custom pixelated role icons for unitframes - easier said than done, I know. I couldn't get it done because I suck at creating textures and there was no angel to make them for me What I did was replace them with generic coloured squares with a black pixel outline, however that's not too good for certain forms of colourblindness so I hope to change it one day.

Hope this is useful in some way

All are extremely useful, and things I would love to implement!

I'm not that good with LUA, and I don't know how to put all of these in. :/ I'm using bMinimap and oUF_Freeb, and the raid manager may just disappear completely for SimpleRaidMark and some type of floor marker. xD

The hotkey font on my action bars will be gone soon, I am just learning some new keybinds.

I know Zork had some banging raid role textures on his raid frames. I may look into adding those.

Last edited by Epiphany17 : 01-19-12 at 11:42 PM.

01-20-12, 11:28 AM   #1528
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Epiphany17 View Post
Might as well post it! My UIs currently all look the same minus the UFs, bleh.
<snip>

C&C is appreciated!
Fantastic. This is what we need more of!

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
Things do not have to revolutionize the way we think of minimalistic UIs to be good. We "lost" a lot of the "core UI posters", such as Led, Lyn, Kamii (Still plays), Carebear and several others. We're left with a few good UI posters (good is subjective, but I'm fairly sure you know what I'm hinting at), a ton of bad ones and a ton of TukUI edits which all look the same.

I've got nothing against TukUI, but I do think it killed a lot of the UI scene by being so easy to use. It also fits the general population very well because it's not very minimalistic. People are usually scared away from the pixelated, transparent look of, for example, FreeUI.
In reality, I think FreeUI is the single best "one-click-install" UI out there. I know Kamii uses an edited version of FreeUI.

Originally Posted by Zagrei View Post
Because we had nothing else to do? Hehe :P
I think it's because the scene was bigger, and as such we had more constructive criticism going around.

01-20-12, 11:54 AM   #1529
Ither
A Firelord

Don't mind me--I'm going to keep interjecting your conversation in a Feedback thread for UI design.

Some more changes.

01-20-12, 12:44 PM   #1530
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
Don't mind me--I'm going to keep interjecting your conversation in a Feedback thread for UI design.

Some more changes.
I do not see the reason for two identical action bars under Recount/Omen. Especially when many of the skills on those bars are available on the main bar in the center.
I also think you should hide your minimap buttons.

01-20-12, 12:50 PM   #1531
Ither
A Firelord

I do not see the reason for two identical action bars under Recount/Omen. Especially when many of the skills on those bars are available on the main bar in the center.
I also think you should hide your minimap buttons.
Photoshop my friend.

Those are just extra button holders because I have things not on the main bar I need.

I'm at the office toying with design ideas.

01-20-12, 12:54 PM   #1532
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Photoshop my friend.

Those are just extra button holders because I have things not on the main bar I need.

I'm at the office toying with design ideas.
Fair enough. I also think you should make your rune display a bit larger, as it's drowned out by the massiveness of everything else.

You could also do something about your chat tabs, but that's more of a minor tweak.

01-20-12, 01:13 PM   #1533
Ither
A Firelord

Fair enough. I also think you should make your rune display a bit larger, as it's drowned out by the massiveness of everything else.

You could also do something about your chat tabs, but that's more of a minor tweak.
I'm planning to use a different rune addon to put my runes in the center. -- of course I've thought about just removing them all together because I really go off whats available on my action bar (if something is on CD it tells me based on rune proc count.)

Chat tabs were turned on because I still don't know what to do with chat. I think just leaving it there with transparent back will work.

Overall this thing is way smaller than it use to be LOL.

01-20-12, 01:28 PM   #1534
Clynikal
A Fallenroot Satyr

I would love to know how you achieved those DBM timers, Epi.
I have been tinkering with my !DBM template and my only issue thus far is getting a border of some sort around the timers.

01-20-12, 01:57 PM   #1535
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I came across some textures by Shiny, and figured I'd give them a shot. Still not sure about the UFs, or what I'll do with buffs/debuffs, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	currentui.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	883.8 KB
ID:	6765  

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".

01-20-12, 04:59 PM   #1536
Porsha
A Black Drake
In reality, I think FreeUI is the single best "one-click-install" UI out there. I know Kamii uses an edited version of FreeUI.
This. So this...for me. I use to hack and slash UI parts from some of those you listed because I loved some of their elements/textures and LUA skillz but they seem to have all but vanished over the months and months. I quit playing for almost a year and when I came back I needed a UI prepackaged due to work and time constraints. Found TukUI. Loaded some featured edits of it and found it wasnt my "cup of tea". That's when I took a hard look at FreeUI. It has 99% of everything I dont have time or desire to replicate any more. I'm very greatful for all the work that goes into that UI.

With that said, here is my "edit" (by that it is 99% FreeUI with some c/p of others stuff I have loved and inspiration from). Now that I see Free has put in the option of class colours (WOOHOOO) I may have to take a day to remake this one. I'm very happy with it so far on all my characters.

01-20-12, 05:55 PM   #1537
Epiphany17
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Thanks Wimpface

And TheGeek, I like your UI, it just doesn't seem to fit my personal taste ^-^;

Originally Posted by Clynikal View Post
I would love to know how you achieved those DBM timers, Epi.
I have been tinkering with my !DBM template and my only issue thus far is getting a border of some sort around the timers.
I liberated the !dbm file from FreeUI.

I replaced this, which is at the top of the file.

Code:
local F, C, L = unpack(FreeUI)
With this, which is in another file inside FreeUI.

Code:
local addon, core = ...

core[1] = {} -- F, functions
core[2] = {} -- C, constants/config
core[3] = {} -- L, localization

FreeUI = core

local F, C, L = unpack(select(2, ...))

C.media = {
	["backdrop"] = "Interface\\ChatFrame\\ChatFrameBackground", -- default backdrop
	["font"] = "Fonts\\font.ttf", -- default pixel font
	["texture"] = "Interface\\AddOns\\SharedMedia\\statusbar\\pHishTex11.tga", -- statusbar texture
}

-- [[ Functions ]]

local function dummy() end

local function CreateBD(f, a)
	f:SetBackdrop({
		bgFile = C.media.backdrop, 
		edgeFile = C.media.backdrop, 
		edgeSize = 1, 
	})
	f:SetBackdropColor(0, 0, 0, a or .5)
	f:SetBackdropBorderColor(0, 0, 0)
end

local function CreateBG(frame)
	local f = frame
	if frame:GetObjectType() == "Texture" then f = frame:GetParent() end

local bg = f:CreateTexture(nil, "BACKGROUND")
	bg:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", frame, -1, 1)
	bg:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT", frame, 1, -1)
	bg:SetTexture(C.media.backdrop)
	bg:SetVertexColor(0, 0, 0)

return bg
end

local function CreateSD(parent, size, r, g, b, alpha, offset)
	local sd = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, parent)
	sd.size = size or 5
	sd.offset = offset or 0
	sd:SetBackdrop({
		edgeFile = C.media.glow,
		edgeSize = sd.size,
	})
	sd:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", parent, -sd.size - 1 - sd.offset, sd.size + 1 + sd.offset)
	sd:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT", parent, sd.size + 1 + sd.offset, -sd.size - 1 - sd.offset)
	sd:SetBackdropBorderColor(r or 0, g or 0, b or 0)
	sd:SetAlpha(alpha or 1)
end

local function CreateFS(parent, size, justify)
    local f = parent:CreateFontString(nil, "OVERLAY")
    f:SetFont(C.media.font, size, "OUTLINEMONOCHROME")
    f:SetShadowColor(0, 0, 0, 0)
    if(justify) then f:SetJustifyH(justify) end
    return f
end

local function CreatePulse(frame, speed, mult, alpha) -- pulse function originally by nightcracker
	frame.speed = speed or .05
	frame.mult = mult or 1
	frame.alpha = alpha or 1
	frame.tslu = 0 -- time since last update
	frame:SetScript("OnUpdate", function(self, elapsed)
		self.tslu = self.tslu + elapsed
		if self.tslu > self.speed then
			self.tslu = 0
			self:SetAlpha(self.alpha)
		end
		self.alpha = self.alpha - elapsed*self.mult
		if self.alpha < 0 and self.mult > 0 then
			self.mult = self.mult*-1
			self.alpha = 0
		elseif self.alpha > 1 and self.mult < 0 then
			self.mult = self.mult*-1
		end
	end)
end

F.dummy = dummy
F.CreateBD = CreateBD
F.CreateBG = CreateBG
F.CreateSD = CreateSD
F.CreateFS = CreateFS
F.CreatePulse = CreatePulse
I'm not sure I needed to add all of that, but it worked.

Of course this, you would keep the backdrop the same, and change the texture and font to whatever you'd like.
Code:
C.media = {
	["texture"] = "Interface\\AddOns\\SharedMedia\\statusbar\\pHishTex11.tga", -- statusbar texture

01-20-12, 06:19 PM   #1538
Ither
A Firelord

And TheGeek, I like your UI, it just doesn't seem to fit my personal taste ^-^;
That's OK, your UI doesn't fit my taste either.

It's hard to build a UI for a 2560x1600 resolution.

99% of the UI's on here have one thing in common; too much to show and not enough real estate.

01-20-12, 06:29 PM   #1539
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
That's OK, your UI doesn't fit my taste either.

It's hard to build a UI for a 2560x1600 resolution.

99% of the UI's on here have one thing in common; too much to show and not enough real estate.
This! It's incredibly difficult to maintain a UI on such a high resolution, resorting to all kinds of tricks to make the UI scale work, and still have it look good on lower resolutions.

--

I appreciate the, erm, appreciation for my UI I do my best. There is honestly a lot I would like to change, I have so many ideas, but just not enough time.

Bear in mind that for anyone who wants to use the DBM code, it's actually based on code by Wildbreath, I use it with his permission. I'm not sure if he's around anymore but you should ask him if you want to include it in an upload.

Epiphany - I'll PM you on how to make it a little simpler

Porsha, I really like what you did there. Reminds me of some of the classic pixel UIs.

01-20-12, 07:02 PM   #1540
Clynikal
A Fallenroot Satyr

Of course this, you would keep the backdrop the same, and change the texture and font to whatever you'd like.
Code:
C.media = {
Hrm. I don't seem to be striking any luck with this. I dropped this last bit of code - after changing it up to my preferred font and texture - at around lines 93, 114 then 159 to see if perhaps it would change the outcome but alas it doesn't seem so :<

Thank you for all the help and coding thus far though!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » UI Feedback Thread