08-17-12, 04:39 AM   #61
Shadowhack
Der Meister

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
That's great, but you still have not answered the question -- where did you find the name of their web host? I've WHOIS queried their domain on a dozen different lookup sites, and saw nothing mentioning "Sharktek" on any of them.
http://www.whoishostingthis.com/
08-17-12, 07:10 AM   #62
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I received the usual tripe about posting some code on my addons' webpages, which I will not do. Even though I am listed as former author for all of my addons, I do remain the creator for most, and in the case of LibResComm-1.0, DathRarhek passed ownership to me. No matter what the case is, I am going to talk to some lawyers, to check whether a DMCA Cease and Desist is enough (beyond me simply telling WoA to stop, which I have done) or if a suit should be lodged. Worst case scenario, I could see a class action suit forming.

http://www.lambertlaw.ca/contactUs.html

If anyone is interested in joining, co-operating, or is simply curious, please PM me here, or preferably on WowAce. I'll check both, but WowAce is faster to reach me.
08-17-12, 12:03 PM   #63
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
http://worldofaddons.com/features/cl...s-world-addons

/facepalm

Just like I said in my email response to them - they don't care that what they did was wrong and that they should get rid of all ARR addons no matter what. They're not giving them up easily.

It's like they think the world works like this:
- Me: Hey! That's my property! Give that back!
- Them: Yes, this is Seerah's property. Is your name Seerah? Prove it. Show me some photo ID and go call me from Seerah's house. Otherwise I'm gonna go ahead and keep this.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-17-12, 12:50 PM   #64
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Qupe View Post
Is this really TenTonHammer or is that an ad at the bottom of the page?
I thought they were somewhat respectable?
I actually never became much found of their websites. Professionalism is nor their best.

But this... this I did not see coming.
08-17-12, 01:13 PM   #65
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I continue to simply boggle.
08-17-12, 01:18 PM   #66
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
http://worldofaddons.com/features/cl...s-world-addons

/facepalm

Just like I said in my email response to them - they don't care that what they did was wrong and that they should get rid of all ARR addons no matter what. They're not giving them up easily.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
08-17-12, 01:35 PM   #67
Darth Predator
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by TMcMahon51 View Post
I double this.

PS. If we can't add the restriction code to our addons then we can go another way. Write about this... emmmm... not fair actions on the top of our addons pages so after the next ripping of the sites database this will appear on WoA descriptions too. Users will know bout it that way on every site. How about that?

Last edited by Darth Predator : 08-17-12 at 01:52 PM.
08-17-12, 01:43 PM   #68
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
I continue to simply boggle.
Ten Ton Hammer: smashing law since 2012

08-17-12, 01:49 PM   #69
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
If their going to make you jump through that many hoops then might as well just contact their host. Same amount of work pretty much.
08-17-12, 01:52 PM   #70
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Fortunately for me, even if they did swipe my addons despite my asking them not to, I have my real name in each of my addons toc files. Comparing the source of any email address on my domain will point to that name, so hah, can't use that one on me.

Not checked today's emails yet to see the reply to mine in regards to Scott's addons on there so will see whether I got a reply yet.

Barring the fact I'm updating nUI at the moment they are in their rights to ignore me as apart from a few comments in code and update notes I'm not mentioned as anyone responsible for its welfare. I therefore have no legal standing until my own work is acquired.
08-17-12, 04:39 PM   #71
Jarod24
A Theradrim Guardian
hm. is it just me or is www.. alladdon ..com no longer accessible?
(yes i mangled the link on purpose)

I sent an email to [email protected] (the host) as well as [email protected] yesterday.

I got this reply from eranet.
Hi,
Thank you for your message.
We have transferred your letter to our client.

Please be noted that we haven't received any letter from court or any authority to inform us to suspend this domain so far. We could not take any action for stoping the website.

Please submit your request to court or related authorities. We will process it immediately as long as getting decision from them.

Thank you for your understanding.

Fanny

Despite the language in the response; do you think someone actually reacted to our complaints?

Last edited by Jarod24 : 08-17-12 at 04:41 PM.
08-17-12, 08:15 PM   #72
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Jarod24 View Post
hm. is it just me or is alladdon.com no longer accessible?

Despite the language in the response; do you think someone actually reacted to our complaints?
The site was down when I checked yesterday.
(Note: You can turn off automatic link parsing in the posting options when you reply.)
08-17-12, 10:26 PM   #73
Phanx
Cat.

Got this message today:

> Hello <name>,
>
> I'm am helping the team at World of Addons go through any take down requests and I would like to give you a call to go over some of the addons that are associated with you.
>
> What would be a good time to call you and what number should I use?
>
> Thanks!
>
> All the best,
>
> John Hoskin
> Creative Director
> TenTonHammer.com
Responded:

I am not interested in "going over" anything. Your website is distributing my copyrighted materials without my permission, in violation of US and international copyright law. This email address is plainly listed in each addon's TOC and README files as the author's email address, and my previous email included all of the information that is required by law, including a certification under penalty of perjury that I am the copyright holder. I do not consent to your website distributing my copyrighted materials, and insist that you immediately remove them.

I have already registered a formal complaint under the DMCA with your hosting company. If you have questions about copyright law, I suggest you consult your company's lawyers. If there is some other information you believe I must provide to you under the law before you are required to stop breaking the law, you may send a request for that specific information to me at this email address.

Last edited by Phanx : 08-17-12 at 10:33 PM.
08-17-12, 10:46 PM   #74
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yeah, I got one from him today, too.
Mr. Lakanen,

I have escalated your request and will be handling it personally. I apologize for any frustration.

I don't want to waste your time, so let's get this sorted out and fixed to your satisfaction.

Please let me know which addons you would like removed.

Please confirm that you are the original and only author of these addons.

I'll do what I can to have this handled straight-away so you can enjoy your weekend.

All the best,

John Hoskin
Creative Director
TenTonHammer.com
I replied with links to them (I'm not the sole author of SharedMedia, though, but included it anyway because it doesn't matter whether I'm the "original and only author" if they uploaded them illegally anyway) and signed it "Mrs. Lakanen". Maybe his error will make him act faster. Or at least make him embarrassed.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-17-12, 11:55 PM   #75
Arrowmaster
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Yeah, I got one from him today, too.

I replied with links to them (I'm not the sole author of SharedMedia, though, but included it anyway because it doesn't matter whether I'm the "original and only author" if they uploaded them illegally anyway) and signed it "Mrs. Lakanen". Maybe his error will make him act faster. Or at least make him embarrassed.
Keep me updated on the status of SharedMedia. If they give you any trouble about not being the sole author I'll raise hell as another author of it.
08-18-12, 01:21 AM   #76
Blazeflack
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Jarod24 View Post
hm. is it just me or is www.. alladdon ..com no longer accessible?
(yes i mangled the link on purpose)

I sent an email to [email protected] (the host) as well as [email protected] yesterday.

I got this reply from eranet.

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
The site was down when I checked yesterday.
(Note: You can turn off automatic link parsing in the posting options when you reply.)
Look further back in this thread, this was discussed yesterday. Their real host is with Sharktech.net and they were the ones responsible for suspending alladdon.

Last edited by Blazeflack : 08-18-12 at 03:10 AM.
08-18-12, 05:40 AM   #77
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
> Hello <name>,
>
> I'm am helping the team at World of Addons go through any take down requests and I would like to give you a call to go over some of the addons that are associated with you.
>
> What would be a good time to call you and what number should I use?
>
> Thanks!
>
> All the best,
>
> John Hoskin
> Creative Director
> TenTonHammer.com
The Creative Director is on this too? I guess that leaves pretty clear the whole company is on this.
08-18-12, 07:07 AM   #78
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

And their delusions continue.

http://worldofaddons.com/directors-letter-aug-2012

WORLD OF ADDONS was created in an effort to improve the overall experience of the community and its leaders and authors by providing a free, safe and fun place to share addons--no gimmicks, no hidden fees, and supported by a full time staff to ensure the quality and security of the projects.

Well before launch we knew the passion of the community and the talent and dedication behind some of today's addons. In an effort to make these independent projects available to gamers worldwide, and without charging a fee to the ones who would be using it the most, we started WORLD OF ADDONS with today's most popular, publicly-available addons.

To share the vision, we began a long and dedicated campaign to contact the authors and/or managers of these projects. Months before we opened the doors, we began by attempting contact through email and then through private messaging on sites where the addons were available to the public. During this time we were able to establish contact with many and finalize plans for inclusion or exclusion of the addon on WORLD OF ADDONS, based on the author's or manager's wishes.

As launch approached we realized some authors had not yet responded. In the interest of transparency we sent out a final attempt at communication, clearly outlining our plan to assist in the addons' exposure and accessibility and we requested and welcomed any feedback, questions or concerns.

It was only after the launch of WORLD OF ADDONS that we learned that much of this communication was either intercepted, ignored or sent to outdated contact information. There was no secret agenda. We have always been, and will continue to be forthcoming about our intentions and desire to make MMOG UI modding a much more pleasurable, streamlined, and accessible experience.

However, some have expressed dissatisfaction with our efforts. For those who are frustrated we wish to express our sincerest regrets and commitment to do everything in our power to make the experience of WORLD OF ADDONS and SPARK a pleasurable one, to everyone: gamers and authors alike.

As a gesture of good will towards the community as a whole, we would like to make donations to the Child's Play charity on behalf of the mod authors who for whatever reason feel that we did not communicate with them prior to launch.

Child's Play (http://www.childsplaycharity.org) is a wonderful charity close to our hearts which has been dedicated to improving the lives of hospitalized children since 2003. They raise money through the video game industry to provide sick children with video games, toys and books.

We believe this is the perfect charity for this situation. It allows both WORLD OF ADDONS and the addon authors to show that we both care deeply about the industry, and that at the end of the day we both have the same goal--to make the experience of playing the games we love better. If we can do this, and at the same time improve the quality of life for these children, then we will have taken a very positive step forward.

To have the donation made in your name, simply contact either Benjamin or John via their email at the bottom of this letter.

We understand that for some this may still not completely expunge the frustrations you've experienced, but it is our first step of attempting to make things right with you, the community, and giving something back while we're at it.

We hope you will accept this gesture and should you have any questions, comments or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us personally.

Benjamin J. de la Durantaye, Public Relations Manager
[email protected]

John Hoskin, Creative Director
[email protected]
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
08-18-12, 09:55 AM   #79
Arrowmaster
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
Somebody should contact PA about this. While I'm sure they would love the donations (even though it doesn't say how much), I doubt they would like being used like this.
08-18-12, 10:09 AM   #80
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
If I recall, when this has come up in the past, PA has frowned upon people who donate to Child's Play as atonement.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » /sigh ... Here we go again