12-28-11, 02:50 PM   #21
shyrotam
A Cliff Giant
Still looking for a way to check latency of other players. If it comes to making them run a script then that would work too. Thx.
12-28-11, 04:39 PM   #22
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Will this do? It's simple... really simple. There are 3 commands doing the same, so pick the one you like most:
/pingpong
/pingcheck
/ping

Then you type "/ping" for example to ping the party or raid.
You can type "/ping guild" to specifically ping the guild.
Also you can "/ping Vlad" to specifically ping "Vlad" for his ping.

The results are returned after 5 seconds, listing all the people that responded and their ping -excluding your own latency, so the results should be accurate, more or less.

*Edit* Updated and corrected a major flaw, thanks SDPhantom for pointing that one out!

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...encycheck.html

Last edited by Vlad : 01-04-12 at 10:00 PM.
12-28-11, 04:59 PM   #23
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Didn't I already give you a script?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-28-11, 07:39 PM   #24
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
Will this do? It's simple... really simple...
Looks like you forgot to remove the check for the server echo so it doesn't try to respond to itself and add the player to the list of replies. Note the addon needs to be installed on both sides for it to work.
12-28-11, 09:52 PM   #25
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Looks like you forgot to remove the check for the server echo so it doesn't try to respond to itself and add the player to the list of replies. Note the addon needs to be installed on both sides for it to work.
That's what happens when you multitask, you forget small details. :'(

I updated my last post and fixed this tiny fact (that you reply to your own ping checks).

And yes, people need the same addon too in order for your (and their) /ping check to work. Otherwise it will just say that no one has responded to your check.

Did it work? Are you happy with it?

Last edited by Vlad : 12-28-11 at 09:54 PM.
12-30-11, 06:52 PM   #26
shyrotam
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
That's what happens when you multitask, you forget small details. :'(

I updated my last post and fixed this tiny fact (that you reply to your own ping checks).

And yes, people need the same addon too in order for your (and their) /ping check to work. Otherwise it will just say that no one has responded to your check.

Did it work? Are you happy with it?

yes it seems to work. Thx!

I could only get my one friend to try it. His screen said both home and away latency was 45ms, when the pingpong reported him as 27ms. does this make sense? How do I interpret it?

I tried to get an aussie to give it a go but they refused to download a file to their computer...

would it be possible to post this addon on curse dot com or something? that would help me convince people to give it a try to collect more data. theres another addon called pingpong there already btw. Thx again.
12-30-11, 06:56 PM   #27
shyrotam
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Didn't I already give you a script?
Didnt work for me. got an error message global something or other...

do i include the quotes? doesnt appear to make a difference.
12-31-11, 12:50 AM   #28
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Oops, forgot to put the () after GetNetStats ><
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-31-11, 02:48 PM   #29
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by shyrotam View Post
I could only get my one friend to try it. His screen said both home and away latency was 45ms, when the pingpong reported him as 27ms. does this make sense? How do I interpret it?
Ping responses are always going to vary depending on the exact moment, it's to be expected. The game client only does its own ping check once every 30 secs and attempts to smooth out the result compared to the last few updates. The user's framerate would also impact the times as the UI subsystem only processes with one thread and CPU time spent processing rendering passes and instructions from other addons would impact the time both sides would be able to process their respective incoming messages.
12-31-11, 04:09 PM   #30
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

I'd set the addon to ping multiple times, say, once a second over 3 seconds just to get more data.
12-31-11, 08:19 PM   #31
Vlad
A Molten Giant

World and chat servers differ, but still not a bad estimation.

Try pinging your friend when he obviously lags, like 500ms or more, then see what the response is. I mean, I have no means to test this with someone else and study the results, sadly.
01-03-12, 11:48 PM   #32
shyrotam
A Cliff Giant
oh...i just realized all the results Im getting back are MY latency, not theirs. multiple people all show the exact same latency, which is mine, all at same time.
01-04-12, 04:01 AM   #33
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

There's a calculation error in code.lua on line 40:
Code:
DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(format("%s: %d ms", name, lag + resp - b), 1, 1, 0)
First of all, lag is the player's latency measured in milliseconds and should be subtracted from the delta value. The delta value is stored in full seconds and needs to be multiplied by 1000. The combination of these 2 logical errors is making it display the user's own latency instead of the target's.

To fix it, change the line to this:
Code:
DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(format("%s: %d ms", name, (resp - b)*1000-lag), 1, 1, 0)

Last edited by SDPhantom : 01-04-12 at 03:54 PM.
01-04-12, 07:55 AM   #34
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Sorry about that, and thanks SDPhantom for noticing my mistake!
01-04-12, 04:06 PM   #35
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm toying with the idea of passive pinging. The idea is that if a ping reply is broadcasted back through the same channel, how a 3rd party can calculate the time difference between receiving the ping request from the sender and the ping reply from the recipient and convert that into a latency value.
07-22-12, 12:43 PM   #36
shyrotam
A Cliff Giant
Would this addon be useful for cross-realm RBG?
07-22-12, 01:11 PM   #37
Vlad
A Molten Giant

If cross battlegrounds have a common channel it will work, don't know if "raid" or "battleground" are valid channels for addons but if so then yes it works.
07-23-12, 02:52 AM   #38
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Valid types are "PARTY", "RAID", "GUILD", "BATTLEGROUND". As of 2.1, "WHISPER" was also added.
http://www.wowpedia.org/API_SendAddonMessage
I haven't done any testing, but as far as channels go, I highly doubt there's any difference between rated and normal battlegrounds.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 07-23-12 at 02:54 AM.
07-23-12, 03:24 AM   #39
AcidWeb
A Theradrim Guardian

Addon channels work properly on rated BGs.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Test latency of OTHER players???