08-25-10, 06:36 AM   #1
Viperb0y
A Murloc Raider

How to send messages to users in your group from Addon to Addon

Hi,

how is it possible to communicate between group members that use the same addon?

I want to have an addon which posts a message to chat when someone uses a slash command (for example /postourmessage).

For synchronised combat shouts.

Can somebody help me
08-25-10, 06:49 AM   #2
Sythalin
Curse staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Viperb0y View Post
Hi,

how is it possible to communicate between group members that use the same addon?

I want to have an addon which posts a message to chat when someone uses a slash command (for example /postourmessage).

For synchronised combat shouts.

Can somebody help me
It can be done, but this also enables the possibility of cross-faction communication which is a big no-no outside RealID. That said, I'm a bit hesitant to answer this...
08-25-10, 06:56 AM   #3
Viperb0y
A Murloc Raider

Hi,

we are 4 Friends and we are leveling and doing a lot of pvp and we want to use a synchronized shout "With the power of the mighy jellyfish!". We are also connected via RealID.

It would be nice if you help us!
08-25-10, 07:08 AM   #4
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

Cross faction communication is not such a big deal anymore as you can simply log an alliance/horde on the same server and talk to whatever person you need to. It's not as simple but you get my point.

The easiest way to create this addon is to create a filter that search for a spesific string which you type in party chat. And if the addon detects that string it yells your sentence.

08-25-10, 07:40 AM   #5
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
http://www.wowwiki.com/API_SendAddonMessage

1. You'd need an event listener that registers CHAT_MSG_ADDON and operates on that,

2. You'd need to create a slash command that uses SendAddOnMessage to send the addon message.

I assume you are always partying on the same server and side, as you are leveling together. So Real ID support isn't needed

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » How to send messages to users in your group from Addon to Addon