08-15-14, 01:05 PM   #1
morpheusxeno
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Giving Up - Get $ - Addon features

So yep thats pretty much it. I am giving up on trying to learn lua. It takes too much of my time to try and figure out something, fix a problem or ATTEMPT to implement my fail.

There is a a great addon I found that allows you to set guild roles for players in the guild under the guild tab (J) http://www.wowinterface.com/download...uildRoles.html At one point there was going to be a feature added to broadcast the database of stored roles to other players. It was never added. This is something that I would like to see in my addon request.

I am basically just going to give money for the addon. I am done trying to code in lua. There is a good bit of features that I would like to be added into this addon and I do understand that this will require an extensive amount of time / coding.

Name your price. I will paypal you.

The addon needs to have these features
  1. Roles to be broadcasted to other players using the addon. But also set roles for players that dont have the addon.
  2. Guild Tracking for players using the addon. ( must show up on mini map as well as world map ) http://www.wowinterface.com/download...GuildMap3.html ( doesnt work )
  3. A seperate row showing players using the addon. Would like just a small * in a seperate row.
  4. Item level of players using the addon to be updated in a row.
  5. A manageable statistic of players attended raids in a seperate row. ( officers and guild leader using the addon can add raids attended,raids dropped out, bad play) There is alot of explination around this for later.
  6. Larger guild motd stored by the addon to be sent out and to be displayed at the top of the addon frame.
  7. Record dungeon time holding for guild members as well as announce (There is alot of explination around this for later.)
  8. Easy silence box for achievements, online,offline

I am short on time but there is other feature that I would like this addon to have.

Currently at work I will create an image with the way I would like the addon to look. I am very serious about this addon. Hours upon hours of thought have gone into it by my guild. After finding some one to take the project I would like to share contact information with you to keep in touch through out the project creation to make it perfect.

Last edited by morpheusxeno : 08-16-14 at 07:16 AM.
08-15-14, 01:36 PM   #2
Sharparam
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

The whole data collection part is probably not that difficult to implement, sharing it is probably also pretty easy (but needs several messages to transfer notes unless they are limited in length, but I think AceComm library has that builtin?).

But I'm not very good at making UI stuff.
08-15-14, 01:56 PM   #3
morpheusxeno
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

The whole data collection part is probably not that difficult to implement, sharing it is probably also pretty easy (but needs several messages to transfer notes unless they are limited in length, but I think AceComm library has that builtin?).

But I'm not very good at making UI stuff.
Yes. I need it to be effecient as possible though. I have a guild with 900 active players and we have any where from 100-250 people online at any given time. With that amount we nearly never have to look for anyone to do anything together. But trying to find people in the guild usually results in guild chat whizzing by like trade chat just before the server explodes. Having this addon for members in the guild would greatly help us out when looking for guildies and cutting down on guild spam. Some what our own raid finder with other benifits
08-15-14, 04:03 PM   #4
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Instead of broadcasting over the addon comm channel, you could edit the player's guild note to reflect their status, which would give you persistent storage of data and the ability to show for offline players.

You couldn't store some giant description for them, but it could tell their role and position. Just a thought.
08-15-14, 06:19 PM   #5
Sharparam
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Problem is you can end up with a lot of stuff storing data in guild notes that are either incompatible with each other or use up the severely limited space (seriously, why hasn't Blizz given us more space for guild notes?). If you use EPGP in your guild then the officer note is already reserved for that for example.
08-15-14, 06:45 PM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by morpheusxeno View Post
Name your price. I will paypal you. I know this is not usually some wowinterface likes to see. So I will call it a donation... Yes a donation.... NAME YOUR DONATION!
Just for information's sake - WoWInterface, as an entity, has no problem whatsoever with you (or anyone) offering to pay someone to code an addon for you. Blizzard says that addon authors can't charge for an addon [if they want it to work in WoW]. Donations are fine. Offers by users to pay someone for their time and skills to code something is fine. WoWInterface simply has to abide by Blizzard's rule. Just wanted to clear that up.
08-15-14, 06:53 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Right - someone can't write an addon and then sell it to whomever wants to use it. They can be paid for their time writing an addon for whomever commissions it, though, and then it has to be freely available to whomever wishes to use it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-15-14, 07:57 PM   #8
morpheusxeno
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Oh, Understandable. I thought awhile back it wasn't an approved behavior.
08-16-14, 08:49 PM   #9
morpheusxeno
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

idea thus far
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	idea.png
Views:	264
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	8182  
08-17-14, 11:05 AM   #10
morpheusxeno
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Is the bounty not high enough?
08-17-14, 12:04 PM   #11
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Most developers here make addons that they themselves use, something they find interesting.
Even though you might think your idea is the best in the world, others might not.

If you want to pay someone to make this for you, you have to consider the time needed to be invested and the actual payoff for it.
I'm not necessarily saying you should throw more money at people to lure them into making this for you, but the fact that they might not see the interest in it at all.

Be patient, if someone likes this idea they will aid you with it.
08-17-14, 01:56 PM   #12
morpheusxeno
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

The amount of benefit this would help a guild is incredible though. Being able to see everyone's item level in the roster, their role etc.
08-17-14, 09:05 PM   #13
morpheusxeno
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Created the basic frames and stuff for the addon if anyone wants to use it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WowAddon2.zip (8.4 KB, 198 views)
08-18-14, 05:12 AM   #14
Phanx
Cat.

Is the bounty not high enough?
Well, as far as I can see you haven't actually named a specific amount, but I think p3lim hit the nail on the head here. I've written all of my addons either because they were something I personally wanted to use, or because they took all of 5 minutes to write in response to a request. What you're requesting would take a lot more than 5 minutes to write, and it's of no personal interest to me whatsoever.

I already have a job, so you'd have to offer me a lot more than the actual market value of my time in order to entice me to give up my weekend (or more) writing and testing an addon I'll never actually use. Plus, after it was written, for how long would you expect the author to be responsible for fixing bugs (obviously any bugs you found right away would be their responsibility) and updating for patches and providing support?
08-18-14, 07:23 AM   #15
morpheusxeno
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I changed the title to Guild Addon Request - $50 INSIDE ( shows up top though )

I guess it doesn't show on the forums thread listing.

Is my offering the mod not high enough though? I thought 50 $ was generous. Maybe I am dumb/cheap ass

Last edited by morpheusxeno : 08-18-14 at 02:15 PM.
08-19-14, 08:31 AM   #16
morpheusxeno
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I would do anything to have this addon made for my guild. PLEASE Some one take me up on my offer! If its about the money and its not enough, I would be happy to work something out. I would really like this addon created. A lot of the code exists from addons that I would like to use. Some dont do things like broadcast the information to other players in the guild. Some one please help.

Last edited by morpheusxeno : 08-19-14 at 08:33 AM.
08-19-14, 10:02 AM   #17
Duugu
Premium Member

Is my offering the mod not high enough though? I thought 50 $ was generous. Maybe I am dumb/cheap ass
To me 50$ is way to little. This may Sound greedy. But I'll work a dozen hours or more on something I'm absolutly not interested in. This would feel like real work - not like fun.
Doing real work that ould be paid with less then 5$/h does not sound that motivating.

[e]
I don't know if you are aware of it but ... as this is lua and a wow addon altering all the data (like # of raids, time spend in x, etc.) would be absolutly easy for every guild member - officer or not. There's no way to restrict stuff to guild roles or something.

Last edited by Duugu : 08-19-14 at 10:22 AM.
08-19-14, 12:08 PM   #18
morpheusxeno
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

OQ has a way of displaying how many times a role has been played in a raid. How many bossees have been downed etc. I would like this to do something similar. That way we can see a list of what members are working in the guild together to complete daily dungeon challenges. Resulting in a more rewarding rank.

This addon would really take more than 5 hours for you to write? What would be a reasonable payment?

And just to restate... There are addons that do some of what I want, Some features just have to be added...

Guild Roles - Allows you to set the role of a player in the guild roster

This is the biggest portion of the addon. It just doesn't broadcast like the author intended on his future development. I would just like this stuff all in one addon. To make it easier for the members of my guild.

Last edited by morpheusxeno : 08-19-14 at 12:29 PM.
08-19-14, 12:59 PM   #19
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Its not very likely you'll find a dev with spare time ... normally its the spare time we put in our own addons.
Your chances will probably rise if you split up the stuff you want in small tasks/addons.
08-19-14, 01:16 PM   #20
Duugu
Premium Member

This addon would really take more than 5 hours for you to write? What would be a reasonable payment?
Absolutly, yes. Just to build a final, bug free, feature complete version of the UI you designed below could easily take 5 hours or more.

And just to restate... There are addons that do some of what I want, Some features just have to be added...
Guild Roles - Allows you to set the role of a player in the guild roster
GuildRoles doesn't have any copyright statement. Which means it is "all rights reserved" as default. Did you already contact the autor and asked for the permission to use the addons code or parts of it?
Plus my personal experience is, that working into and enhancing the code of others often is more effort than building the full thing from a scratch.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Giving Up - Get $ - Addon features