02-25-09, 06:06 PM   #221
stako
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Do you think that is perhaps a viable feature request?

02-26-09, 06:37 AM   #222
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
No, I wouldn't really say I find it viable. It's not very often you want to perform such tests, and I find it more work than worth.

The only element in oUF that you can't force show is the auras. It might be possible to do due to the changes that will be made to the aura system however, but they are pretty much still on the drawing board...

The rest of the elements are pretty much just to force visible.

03-11-09, 01:44 AM   #223
ProperMethodz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Hello,

I've tried every UI mod out there and am never happy with the results of what they give me. I've been severely interested in building my own, but it seems like a massive endeavor to take on to create my own.

I'm willing to put in the time to modify one and create one. I'd love to learn the functions of how to use oUF to create or change someone elses to fit my needs. For instance, I've found P3lim's layouts to suit me awesome, but half the time I don't understand what all the coding is doing behind the scenes in order to modify things to my likings.

So... Lets say a noob, such as myself, were looking to get started in building their own interface using oUF, where would I start? Where is the proverbial "Hello World" HOW TO?

Google primarily spits out errors when I do searches for codes.

03-11-09, 01:49 AM   #224
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The best source is the online version of the first edition of the Programming in Lua book.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

03-17-09, 04:44 AM   #225
goliath0
A Murloc Raider
I'd like to use oUF-Grid, but I want every other frame to remain default. I've seen the "function of doom" and am curious if you can disable/avoid that and still have the addon work correctly.

p.s. Check the post at the bottom

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...sid=1&pageNo=3

Last edited by goliath0 : 03-17-09 at 04:46 AM.

03-17-09, 07:46 AM   #226
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by goliath0 View Post
I'd like to use oUF-Grid, but I want every other frame to remain default. I've seen the "function of doom" and am curious if you can disable/avoid that and still have the addon work correctly.

p.s. Check the post at the bottom

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...sid=1&pageNo=3
I don't really understand your question, neither do I understand what I should look at in the link you posted.

03-17-09, 08:19 AM   #227
ObbleYeah
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by haste View Post
I don't really understand your question, neither do I understand what I should look at in the link you posted.
He means he wants to use oUF_Grid as a raidframe, but continue to use the default blizzard frames. However, the func which hides/unregisters the blizz stuff within oUF/core.lua means he is unable to do this.

Last edited by ObbleYeah : 03-17-09 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo.

03-17-09, 08:36 AM   #228
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
It should only hide the party interface, if the layout doesn't tell it to not hide it ofc. But the post is still to vague for me to assume anything.

03-17-09, 08:41 AM   #229
zariel
A Murloc Raider
Why dont you post it on the oUF_Grid page an ill answer it?

03-17-09, 02:19 PM   #230
goliath0
A Murloc Raider
I though I was clear enough...

The post on the forum refers to API changes in 3.1 that addresses UnitAura. The code that uses "isMine" will stop working, because the parameter is being replaced by "caster" which will give more info on the owner of an aura.

I want to use oUF_Grid as raid frames, but nothing else.
If the function of doom is never used by oUF (only other modules call it if needed) then it's what I want.

03-17-09, 02:39 PM   #231
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by goliath0 View Post
I though I was clear enough...

The post on the forum refers to API changes in 3.1 that addresses UnitAura. The code that uses "isMine" will stop working, because the parameter is being replaced by "caster" which will give more info on the owner of an aura.

I want to use oUF_Grid as raid frames, but nothing else.
If the function of doom is never used by oUF (only other modules call it if needed) then it's what I want.
1. I'm aware of it, but 3.1 isn't live yet.
2. That sounds more like a oUF_Grid issue. The layouts themselves that override oUF hiding the party frame for header frames. The reason it's the default behavior is because that's what people usually spawn with headers.

03-25-09, 12:11 PM   #232
xxxpharaoh
A Defias Bandit
Exclamation Big Debufs

is there a way i can have oUF show my debuffs on mobs larger then other players' debuffs like in xperl? its really hard to keep track of which dots are mine when theres no way to really tell other then use a mod like DoTimer but im trying to keep my ui light as possible. so if there is a way to Make my debuffs on mobs larger then other debuffs plz tell
ty in advance

03-25-09, 01:00 PM   #233
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
This is something that can easily be done in :PostUpdateAuraIcon(). What you have to do is to check the .isPlayer flag on the icon, and scale it based on that. The function that handles positioning doesn't really expect the icons to have varying sizes however, so that one would need some custom work most likely. It all depends on how you plan to show it all.

03-25-09, 01:58 PM   #234
xxxpharaoh
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by haste View Post
This is something that can easily be done in :PostUpdateAuraIcon(). What you have to do is to check the .isPlayer flag on the icon, and scale it based on that. The function that handles positioning doesn't really expect the icons to have varying sizes however, so that one would need some custom work most likely. It all depends on how you plan to show it all.
huh?
yeah im a newb at this and still learning i have no idea what you mean. I understand the check on the icon but i dont know where to modify that. Is that on the layout or on the oUF itself. and where do I change it.
what im trying to do is have the debuffs there but modify my debuffs to be larger then other debuffs. id settle for only showing my debuffs if its too much work for me. plz try to explain it to me "like im a two year old"

03-25-09, 02:19 PM   #235
Freebaser
A Molten Kobold Bandit

Originally Posted by xxxpharaoh View Post
huh?
yeah im a newb at this and still learning i have no idea what you mean. I understand the check on the icon but i dont know where to modify that. Is that on the layout or on the oUF itself. and where do I change it.
what im trying to do is have the debuffs there but modify my debuffs to be larger then other debuffs. id settle for only showing my debuffs if its too much work for me. plz try to explain it to me "like im a two year old"
add self.Debuffs.onlyShowPlayer = true to the target frame is the easiest thing to do.

03-26-09, 05:48 PM   #236
Luzzifus
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

How could the following code from "oUF.lua" (lines 54-56) ...

Code:
for eclass, color in next, RAID_CLASS_COLORS do
	colors.class[eclass] = {color.r, color.g, color.b}
end
... possibly raise an error like this:

I'm asking since someone showed me that screenshot after I asked him to disable all addons except oUF and my layout.

03-28-09, 02:05 AM   #237
jadakren
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Regarding tagstrings,

I assume that it's not possible to return the contents of a function as a string?

idea i have is to edit tags and the functions that drive them, but in order to do this it seems I would need to provide them as strings and somehow execute them with loadstring.

ideas?

Code:
oUF.Tag["[name]"] = function(u)
 local func = "UnitName(u)"
 return u~=nil and loadstring(func) or func
end
I assume this would allow me to continue using the tagstring normally. But it would also allow me access to the function generating the output value, since i have such an approach for an ingame editor to obtain the internals for this tag :

Code:
function config:GetTagOptions(tag)
 local funcString = oUF.Tag[tag] or nil
 return (funcString~=nil and tostring(funcString())) or 'error'
end
function config:SetTagOptions(tag,funcData)
 oUF.Tags[tag] = function(u) 
  local func = funcData.func
  return loadstring(func)
 end
end
Here we suppose some kind of ingame editor is told to change the way the tagstring '[name]' behaves so that it makes names lowercase :
Code:
oUF.SetTagOptions('[name]',{func = 'UnitName(u):lower()'})
any ideas or thoughts to make this idea better/workable/more efficient or just maybe any kind of thoughts you have?

Last edited by jadakren : 03-28-09 at 08:58 AM.

03-28-09, 10:08 AM   #238
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
Wouldn't it be better to just generate the functions and set them as the tag handler? That way you don't hit the problem with loadstring and scope. It would most likely be faster also, as you don't have to regenerate the tag function every time the tag runs. The Lua compiler is fast, but relying on that seems like a bad solution.

03-28-09, 10:12 AM   #239
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
I'm not going to lock this topic, but I would like it if people posted new threads instead now. The two oUF threads are currently very large, and it's quite hard to see what posts have been left unanswered.

Another gain would be that it's easier to find the information in smaller threads, and the discussions won't be absorbed by the more common problems people have. We have an entire forum dedicated to oUF now, so continuing to use these "monster" threads seem illogical .

04-28-09, 06:27 AM   #240
Imithat
A Fallenroot Satyr

whats new in 1.3.14 ?

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » oUF - General discussion