03-31-10, 05:34 PM   #1
Xenoronin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Pimp My UI - UI Competition

Xenoronin, Ex-MVP of the Interface Customization Forums EU here.
Reposting this from the official forums.
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....47129544&sid=1
--------------
Hey everyone, just letting you all know that I am running a competition from the 5th to the 30th of April 2010. The competition will be to create a new UI (not to submit an existing one) and enter it into the competition on my webpage.
The catagories are
* Best Overall UI
* Best Minimalistic UI
* Best Artistic UI
* Best Generic UI
* Most Original UI
* Honorable Mention – Strangest/Most unusual UI.

Some of you may remember me trying to set up something like this last year and failing but this one will go ahead, hell or high water.

The rules and how to enter are all up on the website here.
http://www.pimpmyui.net

Yes you can start creating your new UI now. If you are in the middle making a UI... I could be mean and make you scrap it and start over... yeah I'll be mean. Level playing field is better for all.

The prizes will be WoW TCG - Loot Cards. Not super rare ones but some cool ones none the less!

Good luck and hope ye come up with some good ideas!

If you have any queries, don't hesitate to ask me here or at
[email protected]

Last edited by Xenoronin : 04-04-10 at 06:45 PM. Reason: website and categories changed.
04-01-10, 12:46 AM   #2
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Definitely working on a UI right now Will be trying to work on something fresh though I think I have all my idea's out there already lol. We'll see :P

-Ferous

edit - I had a couple questions:

1. Will you be the only person who will be judging the UIs?
2. Regardless of the answer above, how will you be judging UIs? Based on what you think looks cool or what you believe is the in-thing?

Was just curious about those :P

Last edited by Ferous : 04-01-10 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Had some Questions
04-01-10, 06:51 AM   #3
Xenoronin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
UI's will be judged by myself and two of my friends. One is a complete UI noob so I want his prospective from that angle. The other is an ex-hardcore raider (mostly TBC since he was one of the first EU Shaman to duel wield Syphon of the Natrezim http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32262) who has nearly all the classes at 80 at this point.

Me? I have been working on UI's (none released to the public since I was lazy) for years now, ever since I started WoW. I have been out of the UI game for a few months though so I only have had a few fleeting glances at the latest types of UI.

We will be judging on, with example critique:
Aesthetics - "OHHHHH that is eye bleedingly pretty"
Role - DPS, Healer, Tank "I know he is a healer but you can't see his character behind grid"
Class - "Oh come on, he is a hunter without a pet unitframe or bar"
Layout - "Why his actionbuttons in the middle of the screen?"
Use of addons - "Nifty Idea using "x" addon in "z" way."

That actually makes me realise that I will need a screenshot of people's addon folder.
Also that we will need at least 3 screenshots showing at least Solo and Raid play.
C-C-C-C-CHANGES a-coming to the rules!

Last edited by Xenoronin : 04-01-10 at 07:01 AM.
04-01-10, 07:04 AM   #4
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Hey...finally.
To bad I cannot show all aspects of Roth UI in one screen and I'm not allowed to post my other UI.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
04-01-10, 08:35 AM   #5
Xenoronin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
hmm... that and it is already an established UI... and probably would win outright in every respect.
Someday in the future, I may have a competition where established UI's can compete and the public votes for their favourite! I hate public voting personally but that is the only way I can really see it working.
04-01-10, 11:39 AM   #6
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Do we have to submit our UI in a certain category or will you choose for us?
04-01-10, 11:58 AM   #7
Xenoronin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I was considering choosing for you as some people submit minimalistic UI's which might be lovely UI's but they are definitely not minimalistic. Could just deduct marks for that instead.
This is why I am still unsure about adding a generic catagory. Without it, people will aim for either artistic or minimalistic to max their chance of a prize (i.e. Artistic and Overall) but with it, the prizes are thinned out even more. What do you guys think?
Add a Generic Category and let people choose which category they want to submit their UI as?
Or leave it the way it is.

There may be some major changes coming later tonight so keep an eye out here.
Potential hosting change (current one sucks) and some minor/major rule changes depending on what the response here is.
04-01-10, 12:09 PM   #8
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Holy smoke.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
04-01-10, 12:20 PM   #9
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I say let us submit. If someone submits a minimalist UI that is anything but minimalist, he most likely doesn't know anything about minimalism and doesn't deserve to win. I say have a "General UI" category for people that can't fit their UI into a specific one. You could always choose a "best overall UI" even though it doesn't fit into the category it was originally submitted into.

...IMO

Ultimately, the question is: do you want to "force" contestants into making a specific UI type (minimalist, artistic) or do you want to give them more freedom?

Last edited by haylie : 04-01-10 at 12:22 PM.
04-04-10, 06:44 PM   #10
Xenoronin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Competition is officially open. UI Submission page is up!
Read the rules. Try to stick to them.
New website!
http://www.pimpmyui.net/

You now pick which category you enter into. Generic, Minimalistic or Artistic. You are automatically entered into Original and Overall categories.

Good Luck all who enter!
04-28-10, 09:44 AM   #11
Xenoronin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
2 more days!
04-30-10, 09:58 AM   #12
Xenoronin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Comment section on the UI Submission page will close at 12am tonight. If you ain't in, you can't win!
04-30-10, 11:21 AM   #13
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
12am in what time zone?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-30-10, 06:27 PM   #14
Xenoronin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I didn't think of that... damn... Oh well. Better late than never. It is closed now so it was meant to be 12am GMT but it ended up closing at ~1am GMT due to a lack of internet at 12am.

If you do want to kick up a fuss about this because you were leaving it till the last minute (actually this sounds like it is directed at Seerah... it isn't, it is directed at everyone/anyone), drop me an email at [email protected]
I'll add your UI to the list. This is only open until I wake up tomorrow though. Since I can't be arsed to figure out the world times, I'll assume the pacific people will be fast asleep by then.

Anyway. All in the learning process! On with what I came here to post!
-------------------
UI Submission Comments are now closed! The results will be posted the 10th of May on pimpmyui.net and on the Official Forums.

Now that I can be mean, I can tell people what they were entering for/what they missed out on.

* Best Overall UI - Fishing Chair, Centre of attention
* Best Minimalistic UI – Centre of Attention, Disco Ball
* Best Generic UI – Centre of Attention, Path of Illidan
* Best Artistic UI – Centre of Attention, Path of Illidan
* Most Original UI – Fishing Chair, Disco Ball
* Honorable Mention – Strangest/Most unusual UI.

Fishing Chair - For those long summer days fishing. A parasol to keep the sun off your back and a chair to rest those weary feet.
Centre of Attention - /flex as you walk around in style with this Epic Purple Shirt!
Path of Illidan - MY FEET ARE ON FIRE!!!!!
Disco Ball - Be the life of the party and get your groove on.

Thanks to all who entered and those who supported. Special word of thanks to Tukz who provided the hosting and domain name, please support him here http://www.tukui.org ! Also I must mention Blizzard for creating a game where all these works of art are possible. The Blues for countless times of support, putting up with my questions and generally being awesome. To Caireann from WoWInterface for support last year while I tried to get this up and running. To all the Judges who I kept on hold last year and ended up disappointing when this didn't go ahead at that time. To the addon authors for putting their own time into creating such versatile addons for people to fiddle with! To all the people who entered.
Sorry for dragging that out but really this couldn't have gone ahead without them.

Good Luck to all who entered!

Last edited by Xenoronin : 04-30-10 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Adding more for inevitable whiners :D
04-30-10, 09:59 PM   #15
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
And I look foward to who wins! I really really really really wants some TCG lootz :P
05-17-10, 08:23 PM   #16
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Glad you got this off Xenoronin. I remember when we spoke about it about a year ago and was all hyped but it never happened. We had all us judges ready and stuff.

I've sadly left WoW and the community as a whole, but I came on some random day and saw this. Just dropped off to say congratulations to all the winners!

Might aswell say bye to the community I spent so much time in. Also, thanks to the moderators and the staff behind WoWInterface that make this such a great place.

Keep it up!
- Wimpface.
05-17-10, 08:29 PM   #17
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

WIMPFAAAAACE! Hey, just cuz you left WoW does not mean you have to leave the community! Sit a spell, derail a thread or twenty. Relax!

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
05-17-10, 08:36 PM   #18
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
WIMPFAAAAACE! Hey, just cuz you left WoW does not mean you have to leave the community! Sit a spell, derail a thread or twenty. Relax!
Not much fun coming to a WoW community when you don't play WoW. At all, hell, I don't have a single little thread leading back to WoW anymore.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Pimp My UI - UI Competition