01-01-10, 10:05 AM   #1
Mechrior
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

FPS drop when using quest tracker

Much like the post title describes i have recently noticed since the last server down time and since patch 3.3 that when my quest tracker is open and showing quests that i have a MASSIVE fps hit from around 60-90fps going down to 10-15fps when the quest tracker is open.

i have disabled everything i use apart from carbonite and still have this problem, any known cause?!

01-01-10, 06:16 PM   #2
Nepenthes
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I have the same problem. More specifically:

If the quest tracker is open to show quests then every second WoW will compltely pause for a fraction of a second, then resume. If the quest tracker is minimised (so it does not show objectives) then everything is fine.

This happens on all characters, and happens even if I delete all carbonite related savedvariables from the WTF folder.

01-12-10, 06:40 PM   #3
echo_can
A Kobold Labourer
try turning off the carbonite mini-map

01-13-10, 01:04 AM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Maybe you could keep the Quest Watch Window minimized, and use the "Show quests on map" radio button. Use a key bind to open/minimize the quest watcher when you want to look at it. You can set this up using the default key binding system.

01-21-10, 12:59 PM   #5
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Don't know what would cause that. I don't see any slowdown on my computers. Have you tried it with all other addons disabled except Carbonite?

02-13-10, 11:16 PM   #6
xynaPT
A Kobold Labourer

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I have the same issue... right now im questing on hillsbrand and when i click "show quest on map" jesus, drops my fps to 25-55, and with only carbonite on without quest i get 80-110 and without carbonite i have 110-200
Plz help, i can even level without carbonite, so used to it, this was like i was playing normally and ALT+Tab to change song and when i get bback all the fps drops started

02-17-10, 11:18 PM   #7
ShamefullBootz
A Defias Bandit
Unhappy

I actually just send a mail to the carbonite addon guy that posted in this thread, then realised since I took the time to register I should probably post here anyways. Today just since I downloaded the new carbonite, I have having this very same issue. My fps drops to between 4 and 6 fps when carbonite is running period. I disable it, and everything goes back to normal. This is ONLY since I updated to today's release of carbonite.

02-18-10, 01:00 AM   #8
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Nothing was changed with how the quests are drawn on the map in a long time.

First thing to try is rebooting the computer.

You can show just one quest at a time by turning off the green button and then using the white buttons to show/track one quest.

Only quests being watched are drawn on the map when the green button is on, so you could remove some and see if it gets faster. Click the top left watch button and select "Remove All Watches". Open the quest log (L) and click a few gray buttons to the left of quest names to watch them. They will show on map and see if certain ones cause a big FPS hit.

02-18-10, 03:49 AM   #9
ShamefullBootz
A Defias Bandit
Thanks for your replies! I did try all of these, and none worked. I ended up downloading quest helper, and I hate it haha. I'm going to go search the archives for the previous version, as I did not have any issues what so ever until I updated today.

Thanks though! I tried everything for about 3 hours tonight before giving up.

02-18-10, 11:47 AM   #10
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by ShamefullBootz View Post
I tried everything for about 3 hours tonight before giving up.
It happens with all addons disabled except Carbonite?

/carb pro

Tell me the Map OnUpdate x x avrg numbers.
Tell me the Quest UpdateIcons x x avrg numbers.

The Archive tab on the download page has old versions. Let me know if the last version is faster.

02-21-10, 06:44 AM   #11
Krotoan
A Kobold Labourer
I registered just to post this in case you were looking for a quick fix. I had the same problem and heres what I found: So.. its something to do with something in the WTF/account folder. I don't know what , but just to test it I moved the account folder to reset all my options, And now theres no slowdown when quest tracker is open. I did have to redo ALL my customizations for the entire game, but it solved my problem.

03-01-10, 06:11 PM   #12
Katts
A Kobold Labourer
Incrediable lag Drop in FPS

I have the same issue but whats is even more bazaar is that I use it on all my chars and my Hunters lag / fps when I pick up quests . doing the quests and passing is worse than on my other chars...I love this mod but I can stand the lag and sever drop in my FPS and it started doing it in the last week. pls help I really don't want to get rid of this mod =( ty

03-08-10, 03:54 PM   #13
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Katts View Post
I have the same issue but whats is even more bazaar is that I use it on all my chars and my Hunters lag / fps when I pick up quests . doing the quests and passing is worse than on my other chars...I love this mod but I can stand the lag and sever drop in my FPS and it started doing it in the last week. pls help I really don't want to get rid of this mod =( ty
/carb pro

Tell me the Map OnUpdate x x avrg numbers.
Tell me the Quest UpdateIcons x x avrg numbers.

Also try closing the game. Renaming WTF folder to WTFold. Start game, login with hunter and play. Check if FPS is better. Exit game. Delete WTF folder and rename WTFold back to WTF. Try the hunter again. If FPS bad again, then it is a settings file problem.

You can delete:
WTF\Account\<name>\SaveVariables\Carbonite.lua to reset just the Carbonite settings, but if only doing that does not work, then deleting WTF folder may be required.

03-28-10, 10:16 AM   #14
Dacrath
A Kobold Labourer
I am also having this same problem with the new version of Carbonite. Without the Carbonite addon running I get 60 fps solid (I believe it is locked to my lcds refresh). The game runs smooth as silk.

With the addon turned on on, but with the quest tracker minimized I get 60fps, but every 5 seconds there is a small "hickup" where the screen freezes for about 1/10th-1/20th a second, then continues.

The real issues start up when the quest/achieve tracking is opened. My FPS drops to around 33 (+ or - 3fps).

Also when the carbonite addon is running when ever an objective is updated (getting a kill, collecting and item, whatever) the FPS reads as 19-20 for about a 2 seconds, and game play gets very choppy for about 1 second (5-7 screen updates in that time period). If the tracker is open, I noticed that this can do some funky things to the tracker at the same time, making it jump a bit to the right and all the items will reorder themselves as if it is reinitializing.

I tried the WTF to WTFold renaming, and it did nothing to change the problem as far as FPS goes, I did not play long enough to confirm the other symptoms. I also attempted disabling every addon except Carbonite and that too was ineffective for the short period I had the game open with those settings.

/carb pro readings, tracker minimized
FPS 60
Map OnUpdate 0.0020 0.0020 avrg, #6968, 14.087 tot
Quest UpdateIcons 0.0010 0.0007 avrg, #6968, 4.737 tot

/carb pro readings, tracker open
FPS 32
Map OnUpdate 0.0020 0.0019 avrg, #17016, 33.076 tot
Quest UpdateIcons 0.0000 0.0007 avrg, #17016, 11.345 tot

Computer setup.
Core I5-750 2.66 ghz
4 gb DDR3 Ram 1600 mhz
GeForce GTX 260 graphics card
Running 1920x1200 res, middle of the road details

Not sure how helpful this is, I will watch the thread if you want any more info from me.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » FPS drop when using quest tracker