06-26-10, 07:17 AM   #21
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
More on topic posts:

ZOMG one of my addons bugged out and has this large thing in front of my UI how do I found out what it is ?

Well If we are lucky enough the addon author has named his frame something recognizable like MyaddonBigBoxFrame or something equally silly like DancingBanannaFrame.

If you put in the command /framestack it will bring up a floating window that tells you what your mouse is over. Your looking for names that look like they come from an addon like my examples above or like GathererHUDFrame or SexyMapDurabilityFrame

That help you identify what addon is putting that big balck box on your screen or funny looking icon or w/e it is

DON'T FORGET THE ADDON PREFERENCES

This one is little hard to explain so bear with me while I stumble through an explanation.

The preferences for addons are in the SavedVariables folders in the WTF folders. There will be one for each realm and one for each toon. They will have filenames that are <addoname.lua>

Now addons don't really have direct access to how they want their saved variable file to be structured. As I understand it they set out certain variables to get saved. Not what's in that file already.

This means it's possible for a .sv file from an older version of an addon to bug out a crrent version of an addon.

So if you've updated to the very latest build and version of an addon and are still having problems with it , especially when it's a lua problem no one else is getting go ahead and wipe the appropriate .sv file.

I vote this thread gets dragged out the next time we have a patch day
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Patch Day tips for the frustrated and cranky.