04-10-09, 12:43 AM   #1
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Gold guide sites similarities

I won't link any sites. I don't want to get yelled at for advertising. I occasionally click on advertisements to help sites out or out of boredom or even just curiosity. I've noticed that most gold guide websites or leveling guides look practically the same. They seem to all use the same format and techniques for sucking people in. They use html codes to highlight certain words and the same fonts. I can understand that competition can rip off eachother, but they are way too similar. Maybe a lot are owned by the same company?

I dunno.. I was bored and wanted to know if anyone else noticed this.
04-10-09, 12:54 AM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Spectro View Post
I won't link any sites. I don't want to get yelled at for advertising. I occasionally click on advertisements to help sites out or out of boredom or even just curiosity. I've noticed that most gold guide websites or leveling guides look practically the same. They seem to all use the same format and techniques for sucking people in. They use html codes to highlight certain words and the same fonts. I can understand that competition can rip off eachother, but they are way too similar. Maybe a lot are owned by the same company?

I dunno.. I was bored and wanted to know if anyone else noticed this.
Sounds like a case of SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Aka the sites are doing everything they can to get higher in the Google search ranks with a better chance of seeing their ads pop-up on sites that use AdWords. Not to mention some likely just rip off the layout/code/content of someone else's site since they are too lazy to create their own.

There are much better free leveling guides both as AddOns and online. The free ones seem to put more time into their guids, likely because they care and are not "writing" the guide for a quick buck.

Last edited by Zyonin : 04-10-09 at 12:56 AM.
04-10-09, 09:56 AM   #3
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
Sounds like a case of SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Aka the sites are doing everything they can to get higher in the Google search ranks with a better chance of seeing their ads pop-up on sites that use AdWords. Not to mention some likely just rip off the layout/code/content of someone else's site since they are too lazy to create their own.

There are much better free leveling guides both as AddOns and online. The free ones seem to put more time into their guids, likely because they care and are not "writing" the guide for a quick buck.
Interesting. Got any recommendations?
04-10-09, 10:27 AM   #4
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
TourGuide. You got to love Tekkub
04-10-09, 12:49 PM   #5
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Spectro View Post
Interesting. Got any recommendations?
For an in-game guide, the aforementioned TourGuide is an excellent choice. For an out of game guide, WoW-Pro.com which also has its own AddOn (Jame's). Both are excellent free guides.
04-10-09, 04:07 PM   #6
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Hey thanks for the James level guide at Wow-pro.com ...

Never heard of it before and will definitely be checking it out.

Thanks again
04-10-09, 08:55 PM   #7
nytekat
A Fallenroot Satyr

actually James has a TourGuide addon.. he has stopped making his own (I think I remember hearing that) and just went with using TG. Best of both worlds imo.
04-10-09, 10:20 PM   #8
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Originally Posted by nytekat View Post
actually James has a TourGuide addon.. he has stopped making his own (I think I remember hearing that) and just went with using TG. Best of both worlds imo.
Yes. I believe he made a seperate addon/plugin that just adds more guides to the list of TourGuide's selection.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Gold guide sites similarities