03-31-11, 11:20 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Introducing the WoWInterface Authenticator!

[Edit] April Fools! Yes, this was our April Fools joke for 2011. A number of you saw right through it really quick, thanks for understanding why we deleted your posts so that it wouldn't give away the joke. For the rest, gotcha!

In all seriousness, though, please don't take our joke as mocking the security concerns these days. Unfortunately a lot of what I posted about malicious programmers etc. is, in fact, a problem. Also, your safety using, and enjoyment of, our site really is our first concern. That said, we aren't adding an authenticator to the site at this time.

Please browse and download from the internet safely!

=========================================

As you know, we pride ourselves first and foremost on providing a safe and enjoyable experience for our users, both in downloading files and in participating in our community via our forums and irc channels. In an effort to further enhance this safe environment, we are happy to introduce the WoWInterface Authenticator!

It is an unfortunate reality these days that malicious programmers run amok, keylogging people, stealing identities, infecting computers with viruses and trojans. While we have an almost completely impeccable reputation (we’ve only ever been compromised once in our 9+ years of running our sites), we are constantly working to increase the security of our sites, implementing new layers to our protocols. Taking a page from Blizzard’s book, and now Trion as well, we are adding an authenticator to our site’s repertoire as well.

For the ability to post in any threads or comments, upload or download files, or to use our SVN repositories, Git repositories or Portal system, you will have to log in and authenticate. You will still be able to browse our site without an authenticator, but in order to use any of our services beyond just browsing, you will need to have one attached to your account and use it prior to doing anything more than browsing.

For authors, this helps guarantee that even in the extremely unlikely event that we are ever compromised again, you can still be assured that the only one that is accessing your uploads/repositories/portal system is you. This helps protect you from accusations of releasing malicious files.

For all users, this is yet again another level of security that helps you be assured in the knowledge that anything you download from our site has been provided by a reputable author. As well, this will help immensely in guaranteeing that the posts you read, PMs you receive, etc. are by people who are invested in the community. This should cut down drastically on the number of spammers or malicious coders who try to post messages or send PMs that appear authentic but are actually harmful.

This new protocol will go into effect on 11 April 2011, which will allow people the time to order their authenticators and for their shipments to be received. We also, however, don’t want to make it so that people feel that they can’t use our site any more due to the cost of the authenticators. As such, we’ve made a deal with our suppliers that will allow us to sell them to you for the extremely reasonable price of $4.99 USD.

Activities on WoWInterface that will require sign in and use of the Authenticator:
  • Posting in any threads or comments;
  • Using our Private Messaging system or our Email system;
  • Downloading any files;
  • Authors uploading any files;
  • Submitting to our SVN or Git repositories;
  • Submitting to our Portal System.
Activities on WoWInterface that will not require sign in and use of the Authenticator:
  • Reading threads and comments;
  • Browsing addons.
Please note:
  • This protocol will go into effect on 11 April 2011;
  • Authenticators will cost $4.99 USD
  • Domestic orders will ship within 1 to 2 business days from receipt of order;
  • International orders will ship within 1 week from receipt of order;
  • Please go to our store to place your order;
  • No private information (payment options, shipping address) will be required until your final checkout.
How this will work:
  • When you first receive your authenticator, you will need to log into your account on the site.;
  • Below your username on the right end of the menu bar, you will see a “User Control Panel” option;
  • After clicking that, you will see a menu down the left hand side of the page. Choose “Edit Profile”;
  • Under that , you will see a spot where you can enter the Serial Number of your Authenticator to tie it to your account. This serial number can be found on the back of your authenticator;
  • Enter the serial number and press “Save changes” at the bottom of that page;
  • The next time you log into the site, you will see a spot for you to enter the numeric code at the same time as your username and password;
  • Press the button on the front of the authenticator to get the random numeric code to enter for your current session;
  • You will only have to log in once per session;
  • A session will last 4 hours, or any time you’ve navigated away from the site and come back.
We’re really excited about this further layer of security for our site and we hope you will see the benefits in it as well. Go here to order yours now!

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-01-11 at 08:28 PM.
03-31-11, 11:29 PM   #2
Psychoholic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
So you have to pay 5 dollars in order to post addons and such?
(just to make sure i get this right)

But I think it's worth it. Seeing how its a big step towards security

EDIT: my first time to be FIRST!!

and i got fooled ...

Last edited by Psychoholic : 04-02-11 at 02:41 PM.
03-31-11, 11:34 PM   #3
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
But I can't afford the $4.99 for one. Somebody please buy one for me, and mail it to me.

Please PM TMcManon51 if you are willing to buy one for him, to get his mailing address. TMcManon, you should never put personal information like that right out in the public like that. Danger Will Robinson Danger! ~ Cairenn

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".

Last edited by Cairenn : 03-31-11 at 11:38 PM.
03-31-11, 11:34 PM   #4
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Ouch. Seems a little heavy-handed, and no doubt it'll reduce a fair amount of WoW-I posters/authors. However, if the extra security benefit is seen as worth it, then I guess that's the way it is

Is there going to be an application for smart-phones?
03-31-11, 11:35 PM   #5
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Yes $5 and it lasts for a year. Small price to pay for security in my opinion.

We are working on an iphone and android app, should be out in a few weeks.
03-31-11, 11:42 PM   #6
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

Ok so it's 2 am ish my computer starts beeping like crazy my rss client is feeding new news from the only one I have WOWI front page news. Anyway I look and WTF guys way to let your staff know about something this big!

So now I have a WoW Authenticator, Rift Authenticator, Final Fantasy Authenticator, Banking Authenticator and now Wowinterface. I will need a separate keyring just for all of them.

yea ok GG I am going back to bed way to tired to deal with this now. I sure hope I get one for free, even know I am just the uninformed staff.
03-31-11, 11:44 PM   #7
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Originally Posted by Nobgul View Post
So now I have a WoW Authenticator, Rift Authenticator, Final Fantasy Authenticator, Banking Authenticator and now Wowinterface. I will need a separate keyring just for all of them.
You need an authenticator for your authenticators, so you can authenticate that your authenticators are authentic.

Edit:

"Due to high demand we are now out of stock, we expect more April 21st."
"This protocol will go into effect on 11 April 2011."

Looks like there will be a Posting Gap

Last edited by Nibelheim : 03-31-11 at 11:47 PM.
03-31-11, 11:53 PM   #8
unlimit
Lookin' Good

I can't wait!

I wish all of my favorite sites had autheticators.

Really happy I ordered mine before they went OOS.

kúdan: im playing pantheon
JRCapablanca: no youre not
** Pantheon has been Banned. **

Last edited by unlimit : 04-01-11 at 12:10 AM.
03-31-11, 11:59 PM   #9
buena42
A Kobold Labourer

Good thing I ordered mine so quickly, I see they are out of stock already!!

I am glad to know I will be safely browsing come the eleventh.
04-01-11, 12:10 AM   #10
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Can I just attach my wow token to my WoWI account? I mean, you guys threw those things at me when I was at blizzcon last... I don't want to carry around two tokens.
04-01-11, 12:15 AM   #11
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Sorry Tekkub, but no. These are completely separate from your Blizzard authenticator. It would spoil a lot of the security these provide if you used the same one for everything. All anyone would need to do then would be to get hold of the one you have and they'd have access to everything.
04-01-11, 12:23 AM   #12
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I don't know what to say. I logged on to do a final check for files posted before going to bed, and I just now find this out?

Was it too much trouble to at least let your staff know before making a huge change like this?

I, for one, simply can't afford an extra 4.99 just in order to keep doing my job here. Why should our loyal userbase have to pay in order to keep using a website which was always free? And SHOULD REMAIN THAT WAY!

I guess at this point it's already a done deal, and anything I have to say here will just be ignored anyway, but just let me say I'm really, really disappointed...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
04-01-11, 12:24 AM   #13
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Good thing I bought out nearly all the stock. MUWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

Now accepting suck-ups, Yes men/women, groupies, or rule over a small country in exchange for authenticators.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
04-01-11, 12:27 AM   #14
Hegarol
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Yes $5 and it lasts for a year. Small price to pay for security in my opinion.

We are working on an iphone and android app, should be out in a few weeks.
Great to there. I won't order then and wait for the app
04-01-11, 12:36 AM   #15
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

What about my user-base? They can't pay $5 for asking me a question. This is bad

Last edited by Nibelheim : 04-01-11 at 01:12 AM.
04-01-11, 01:20 AM   #16
Ynyswarlock
A Kobold Labourer
i think its a grand idea security is of paramount importance in these times, shame its out of stock and takes so long to ship to the UK
04-01-11, 01:39 AM   #17
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Ok just so i am understanding, it is going to cost me $4.99US (probably more cause i am from Australia) per year to ask for help with, download and upload addons to WoWInterface??

Not quite sure how to feel about this. Guess i will have to wait for the iphone app and go from there.

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-01-11 at 02:14 AM.
04-01-11, 02:03 AM   #18
Lily.Petal
A Molten Giant

/cry; these sold out super quick Dx

And I beg of you, PLEASE put one out for the BlackBerry Storm 9550 if you can. I was really sad when Blizz didn't give the app to 9550, but to the 9550 (2).
I love WoWInterface, and would love to buy one though!

My only complaint is that you use it for your log in, then every single comment you post on the site. If anything I'd like to last for the duration of your session. (just my opinion)
I hope it doesn't require us to use it for edits of posts, I do that plenty enough as it is without an authenticator z_z

EDIT: Just read the last line on your post saying sessions last for 4 hours ;D nevermind what I said above!
EDIT2: Dx It goes into effect April 11th, but no more will be available till April 22nd gah! That's 10 days I will be rocking back and forth! Some of the addons I use aren't posted on Curse, probably Ace though. Will have to check!

Aggro Color to KG Panels Borders - Nibelheim
Lua Based UI Hider - Nibelheim
Custom LUA PowerText - Stuf - Nibelheim, Seerah

Last edited by Lily.Petal : 04-01-11 at 02:11 AM.
04-01-11, 02:23 AM   #19
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
I, for one, welcome our new authenticated overlords.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
04-01-11, 03:12 AM   #20
Mischback
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I think security will be worth this small amount of - trouble...

Guys, no updates to anything until Android-App is out there! Be sure to ask any questions before 11th April, perhaps after that there's nobody to respond!

I hope WoWI can maintain their current state of credibility and usability, because I just love all the guys, talking and joking around here...

Will have some hard time until I can post again...

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Introducing the WoWInterface Authenticator!