01-26-06, 06:38 PM   #1
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Cirk's Merchantbags

Merchantbags opens all your bags automatically when you talk to a merchant, use the bank, use the mailbox, trade with another player, or visit the auction house.

Current version
Merchantbags is currently version 2.3.0.

Download page
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fo.php?id=4541

Known bugs
None when running with the default client.

-- Cirk of Doomhammer

Last edited by Cirk : 11-13-07 at 06:30 AM. Reason: version update
01-28-06, 01:34 AM   #2
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I really like your other addons, which made me curious about this one. How does this differ from AF_ToggleBags and CT_AllBags?
01-28-06, 05:43 AM   #3
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz
I really like your other addons, which made me curious about this one. How does this differ from AF_ToggleBags and CT_AllBags?
I've not used AF_ToggleBags or CT_AllBags Mazzlefizz, so I'm just going from what I can find online about them.

As I understand it, CT_AllBags really just altered the number of bags the UI would allow open at once (from 9 to 11) which has been fixed in patch 1.9 officially now.

AF_ToggleBags seems to be a more powerful version of what Merchantbags does, at least in regards to opening your bank bags for you (which Merchantbags doesn't do) and opening all your bags when you start using the auction house (which Merchantbags also doesn't do).

I wrote Merchantbags for my own use originally, and then for my guildies, and it is a pretty simple idea (and at least for Merchantbags is a very simple, and low-impact addon), so I'm not surprised that there are a couple of versions of the same thing around .

-- Cirk
01-28-06, 06:23 AM   #4
Elkano
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I just downloaded the addon in order to have a look at your code since I have written such an addon, too (can be found ad eg curse: bags and merchants).
I noticed that you have a lot of code that isn't needed (anymore since the addon is dated back to April 05). Just a few examples how you could improve your code:
- use SavedVariablesPerCharacter instead of SavedVariables. So you won't have to mess with obtaining the characters name
- use the functions OpenAllBags and CloseAllBags which are already built into WoW.
- extrending to auction house or trade is only hooking two more events each
01-28-06, 04:02 PM   #5
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Elkano
I just downloaded the addon in order to have a look at your code since I have written such an addon, too (can be found ad eg curse: bags and merchants).
I noticed that you have a lot of code that isn't needed (anymore since the addon is dated back to April 05). Just a few examples how you could improve your code:
- use SavedVariablesPerCharacter instead of SavedVariables. So you won't have to mess with obtaining the characters name
- use the functions OpenAllBags and CloseAllBags which are already built into WoW.
- extrending to auction house or trade is only hooking two more events each
Thanks for the feedback Elkano!

I did consider revisiting all my existing code for the SavedVariablesPerCharacter feature, but in the end decided that unless I was writing a new addon that it wouldn't save that much, and I'd have had to figure out how to migrate any existing settings, etc. And in the more complex addons, I needed the player's name anyway. Of course it would be easier for users since all their settings for their own characters would be in one place .

I didn't use OpenAllBags and CloseAllBags because I wanted Merchantbags to know which bags you already had open, and not close those when it closes the ones it opened itself.

Adding auction house and trade events might be useful additions next time I make a change to Merchantbags.

(Merchantbags is one of my earliest addons, and probably could be streamlined a bit - I'm a bit surprised at how popular it is! )
10-04-06, 10:42 PM   #6
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Merchantbags v1.12.0 uploaded. No changes from 1.11.0 apart from the version string and TOC inteface number to match client patch 1.12.

Cheers
-- Cirk
11-18-06, 03:12 AM   #7
FloridaFringe
A Kobold Labourer

Thank you for a great mod Cirk. I actually removed All in One Inventory just to use this, which seems to be worth the sacrifice.

Any chance that you've consider updating this to include opening the bank bags yet? I've looked into AF_ToggleBags but I really didn't want all the extras. I'll have to see if some of the options can be disabled but I just really want yours with the bank bag addition and that would be perfect.

At any rate, thanks again.
03-27-07, 07:18 AM   #8
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

After a long break, I'm back and am updating those of my addons that are still usable in the 2.0 client. For Merchantbags I've taken the opportunity to add some oft-requested features, namely opening your bank bags as well, and opening your bags at the auction house. Since some folks might not actually want these features, they can be disabled through the Merchantbags slash commands.

Changes in version 2.0.0:
  • Modified to make it work with the WoW 2.0 client.
  • Merchantbags now opens your bank bags as well by default when you visit the bank.
  • Merchantbags now opens your bags as well by default when you use the auction house.

-- Cirk
06-01-07, 03:26 AM   #9
Wungy
A Kobold Labourer
Version 2.1?

On the Bags, Banks, and Inventory Mods list, this mod is listed as updated for 2.1, but it's only version 2.0. Can we expect version 2.1 soon? Who posted that it's already updated?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » Cirk's Merchantbags