11-12-09, 05:06 PM   #1
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

warning

Why isnt for big addons like guest helper, recount etc wich can crash the game in (dalaran) A INGAME OPTION TO disable/enable it, so when we login in dalaran for example to avoid crashes?? THANKS

I really dont need for ex. recount to eat my memory etc in bg
Many guys have game crashes pls
11-12-09, 05:08 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you add an addonloader addon it allows you to unload addons on the fly. With a realodui to refresh the interface. The one I used was Addon Control Panel (ACP). I think its home was on curse but can't recall at present.
11-12-09, 05:29 PM   #3
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Because there isn't any way for those addons to predict if they're going to crash.

They could code in as much fail safe code as they like. It doesn't change the fact that when something in an addon crashes the addon maker often can't predict that it's going to crash.

Most of the time another programmer points out a flaw in their code and the addon programmer codes around it / rewrites their code to get rid of the flaw.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
11-12-09, 07:00 PM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by xromania™ View Post
Why isnt for big addons like guest helper, recount etc wich can crash the game in (dalaran) A INGAME OPTION TO disable/enable it, so when we login in dalaran for example to avoid crashes?? THANKS

Use Carbonite and Skada instead?
11-12-09, 07:05 PM   #5
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Does you're keyboard not have a 'q' button?

I assure you if you are crashing OUT of WoW with QuestHelper installed, the problem is with WoW or with your PC. A addon CANNOT crash a (properly functioning) WoW client. A addon CAN cause disconnects, but that particular bug in QH was fixed long ago.
11-12-09, 07:15 PM   #6
zero-kill
A Firelord

Move to a less populated server :P No but seriously, I've never had an issue with game crashing in Dalaran and I sit at a solid 90 fps on max settings.
11-12-09, 07:15 PM   #7
Slakah
A Molten Giant

A addon CANNOT crash a (properly functioning) WoW client.
I can crash a properly functioning WoW Client.
11-12-09, 07:23 PM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
One of the guys from my old guild crashed every time he was in dalaran and couldn't step foot anywhere near it without him crashing. The cause ? He had an out of date computer with not enough memory to run wow and the few addons he had.

I myself have never crashed in dalaran and I have had tons of addons in the past and my fps drops quite low at some point during the day due to population but never crashed. Then again, my computer while not being great for WoW graphics wise had plenty of memory to handle it it seems.

Whats your computer set up ?
11-12-09, 09:39 PM   #9
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
Because there isn't any way for those addons to predict if they're going to crash.
It'd be pretty wicked if they could!
11-12-09, 10:09 PM   #10
Vyper

Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
I can crash a properly functioning WoW Client.
No, you can't. Not with an addon. The entire point of having the Lua sandbox is to protect the client from any actions an addon can take. In other words, even if you can crash the WoW Client, it's a bug in the WoW client. Now there have been addons in the past that have exposed bugs in the WoW Client, but that doesn't change the fact that if the addon is crashing the client, there is a bug in the client.
11-12-09, 10:35 PM   #11
Phanx
Cat.

Why isnt for big addons like guest helper, recount etc wich can crash the game in (dalaran) A INGAME OPTION TO disable/enable it, so when we login in dalaran for example to avoid crashes??
If the "crash" occurs while you're logging in, how would an in-game toggle help you? It's not like you can finish logging in, turn the addon off, and then ... finish logging in again?

Blizzard already provides a tool that actually solves your problem. If you logged out in Dalaran, then hit "Enter World" to log back in, click the "AddOns" button in the lower left corner of the screen. Find QuestHelper (or Recount or whatever) in the list and uncheck the checkbox next to its name. Now log in. Since the addon is disabled, it doesn't try to load at all, and you don't "crash". Once you leave Dalaran or engage in an aspect of the game where the addon would be useful, enable it.

You may find existing in-game addon management tools such as Ampere or ACP to be helpful -- they allow you to manually enable addons without logging out, and reload the UI to enable the addon. Likewise, if you're going to a battleground and don't want Recount running (though if you configure Recount properly to not collect data in battlegrounds, it uses no CPU time and only an insignificantly small amount of static memory while you're in a battleground), you can use one of these tools to disable it and reload the UI without logging out.

Finally, as others have pointed out, no author codes their addon to intentionally or unconditionally force users to be disconnected if they log in while in Dalaran. These issues occur only for some users, and even for those users, they don't happen all the time. Such issues aren't really predictable by an addon, as they are caused by a combination of factors which can be as varied as the way Blizzard wrote the WoW client, the way Blizzard operates the WoW servers, the way you have configured and used the addon, the quality of your Internet connection, and the capabilities of your computer hardware. Oftentimes, even if many users report disconnects while using an addon, it's difficult for the author to solve the problem because he's probably never experienced the problem himself, and can't reproduce it reliably if at all.

Asking every addon author to implement manual enable/disable functions for their individual addon(s) is an unreasonable and unnecessary solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. You already have the tools to prevent login "crashes". If you know that your computer can't load the game world and all of your addons quickly enough to avoid disconnects in Dalaran, it's not the responsibility of any addon author to work around the problem for you -- it's your responsibility to do so, either by upgrading your computer, or by disabling some of your heavier addons so your computer can handle the load.

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
If you add an addonloader addon it allows you to unload addons on the fly. With a realodui to refresh the interface. The one I used was Addon Control Panel (ACP). I think its home was on curse but can't recall at present.
AddonLoader is a specific addon, and does not perform the functions ACP does. AddonLoader handles automatically loading load-on-demand addons under specific circumstances as defined by each addon's author. It doesn't let you manually enable or disable addons, or reload the UI.
11-12-09, 10:54 PM   #12
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
AddonLoader is a specific addon, and does not perform the functions ACP does. AddonLoader handles automatically loading load-on-demand addons under specific circumstances as defined by each addon's author. It doesn't let you manually enable or disable addons, or reload the UI.
I didn't even realise there was an addon called addonloader. I was using that as a descriptive name for all the addon controlling addons out there and not a specific one. Then mentioned ACP as I use that one personally and know it does what he in essence wants done automatically.
11-13-09, 12:38 AM   #13
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddonLoader is very nice - it allows authors/users to not load an AddOn until, for example, they open their bank. All of my AddOns support it.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
11-13-09, 08:00 AM   #14
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

<thread derail>

Phanx's wall of text is glorious.

/bows at feet of the Mistress

I'M NOT WORTHY ! I'M NOT WORTHY ! I'M NOT WORTHY !

</thread derail>
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
11-13-09, 08:42 AM   #15
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Bah. You could easily do twice that without blinking once.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
11-13-09, 09:05 AM   #16
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I don't know about logging in dcs but after long periods of gaming, here are some tips..

Recount
-has the option to stop collecting data via keybindings (best paired with hide while not collecting)
-be sure to clear the data often, especially after long raids, bgs, or large aoe encounters
-in situations like Many Whelps! Handle It!, global data collection being turned off can help prevent a dc via the gear icon

Dalaran
-I don't have an incredible pc, but I try to maximize what I have which has let my toon live in Dal since pre 3.2..
"I have a lot of friends who have lag issues so since this is also for them, I suggest checking out the Blue Posts at WoW Forums' System Performance Guide, 3.x edition and checking out LeatrixLatencyFix."
11-13-09, 10:02 AM   #17
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
No, you can't. Not with an addon. The entire point of having the Lua sandbox is to protect the client from any actions an addon can take. In other words, even if you can crash the WoW Client, it's a bug in the WoW client. Now there have been addons in the past that have exposed bugs in the WoW Client, but that doesn't change the fact that if the addon is crashing the client, there is a bug in the client.
Oh so we're talking about a completely theoretical bug-free WoW client, fair enough, I can't crash that with an addon.
11-13-09, 11:44 AM   #18
Vyper

Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
Oh so we're talking about a completely theoretical bug-free WoW client, fair enough, I can't crash that with an addon.
Indeed... I realize it doesn't exist, but it's important for people to realize that a crash is a bug in the client, and not necessarily the addon. I've seen way too many people posting "XXXX crashes WoW and locks up my computer! You suxxx! Fix it!" Without realizing that it most likely has zilch to do with the addon misbehaving. Sadly addon authors cannot fix the WoW Client, and thus asking us to fix client crashes is often an exercise in futility.
11-13-09, 05:59 PM   #19
xromania™
A Frostmaul Preserver

good advice "in situations like Many Whelps! Handle It!, global data collection being turned off can help prevent a dc via the gear icon". But we still cant see the real damage made by raid members? and what mean "disconect via the gear icon??"

anyway im speaking about any big addons, not only guest helper, all need to have a ingame disable option, is a common sense thing... just look how many replies had this thread. Most of you dont know and dont care how is for many of us who have for years game and pc crashes. Any improvement is good, even if you think disabling addons in game cant improve the game - how spe******ts (s p e c i alists - nice forum filter again) like addon authors cant think like that i dont know. Any kid know disabling all or only big addons solve usually many bugs. sry my english

about carbonite, because some1 recomended it insead guest helper, sorry to say but i think this is to big and was one of the if not the first cause of my game crashes, but ok im not sure. This have to many feature wich can interfere with other little addons i think

Last edited by xromania™ : 11-13-09 at 06:09 PM.
11-13-09, 06:28 PM   #20
Akryn
A Firelord
The WoW API doesn't allow addons to be unloaded in game without a UI reload. You can make a "disable" button which turns off processing and tries to free as much memory as possible -- which may be what you're asking for -- but I really don't see why you would prefer that over just preventing the addon from loading in the first place, if it is crashing the whole game, since in that case why would you keep using it?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » warning