07-18-08, 03:52 AM   #1
Mordaki987
A Fallenroot Satyr
Question How often is all of this stuff updated?

I'm just curious how often are all of the mods on this website updated? Because even though the custom ui may have the updated text there are still a lot of conflicting .lua pop ups in game which makes me wonder is this stuff actually updated or is it just wanna-be updated without actually looking into bugs that might pop up in game? Because to be honest right now i can't safely say i can use a custom world of warcraft interface without constant .lua pop up messages.
07-18-08, 03:59 AM   #2
noble8
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Mordaki987 View Post
I'm just curious how often are all of the mods on this website updated? Because even though the custom ui may have the updated text there are still a lot of conflicting .lua pop ups in game which makes me wonder is this stuff actually updated or is it just wanna-be updated without actually looking into bugs that might pop up in game? Because to be honest right now i can't safely say i can use a custom world of warcraft interface without constant .lua pop up messages.
Many mods that are in devolpment are updated several times a week.
Completed mods are given toc updates,library, or bugging updates when needed.
Why don't you report the bug to the author?
And if its so dreadfully buggy why don't you create your own ui?
07-18-08, 07:56 AM   #3
blackpandemic
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
More helpful response:

-Addons are updated individually by their authors (or sometimes fan updates are released) so new versions come out when they finish the newer version and get it uploaded.
-If you don't like the constant pop-ups I'd recommend grabbing BugSack. While it won't get RID of your errors, it will make them easier to read/copy/paste as bug reports to the authors.
-As a general practice (on this site at least), stick to only downloading addons with a 2.4/Updated!/Star next to the name. These are addons that are updated to:
A) Work (generally) in 2.4
B) Have been updated recently (anything older than a year isn't worth downloading, as it's most likely (MOST likely) going to have issues
C) Is popular and downloaded by many people
-Most pre-made UI's are comprised of the most updated addons so really contrary to what noble said, building your own might make more problems if you can't find exactly the right addons

I'd personally suggest getting WoWMatrix (3rd party program) as it scans a couple of sites to find updates for your addons.
07-18-08, 10:14 AM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by blackpandemic View Post
I'd personally suggest getting WoWMatrix (3rd party program) as it scans a couple of sites to find updates for your addons.
The rest of your response was good, but this part is just plain bad. WoWMatrix is not endorsed by the community. They do not have the authors' permission to have the mods on their site (violation of copyright) and the mods they have up there tend to be outdated copies, so users are getting old versions that may have bugs that the author(s) have already fixed in versions that are on the sites that they have chosen as their release sites.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
07-18-08, 02:24 PM   #5
blackpandemic
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Not to play devil's advocate but you can't physically download addons from their site (unless you use WoWMatrix to install addons as well). As long as I've been using it (at least 6 months if not more) the only problem I've had in terms of versions is getting versions that are too NEW and not necessarily stable (alphas/betas).

I even check here before updating some (more core) addons to see if the dates here (and version numbers match) and about 98% of the time they do.

But that was all off-topic.

Last edited by blackpandemic : 07-18-08 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Caps'd the wrong word ><
07-18-08, 08:16 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yes, it is off-topic, but it probably does need to be said again. What Cairenn said is true, and has been the case since WoWMatrix was released. You can still find the thread on wowace where authors were in an uproar about it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » How often is all of this stuff updated?