11-02-14, 12:23 PM   #161
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Designadrug View Post
Rythal you are a fscking legend.

I have been programming for 31 years and have taken multiple products to market. You are a better person than I by long way; I couldn't conceive of taking-on the pressures of a project as big as Carbonite in my spare time.

For all the people who offer programming help, Rythal has politely declined many times. And the reason is one that can be hard to explain or understand if you have ever tried to code one project with multiple programmers. It is such a famous problem that books have been written about it. The most well known is "The Mythical Man-Week".

Basically the problem is project coordination. The more people there are on a project, the more time they spend coordinating instead of actually working at the coal-face. If the code is modular, this 'interference' can be reduced by coordinating how the modules will talk to each other, then going about writing the bits you 'own'. However, I get the impression that Carbonite was what we in the know call "monolithic" in that it was one enormous non-modular codebase. And that, is probably why he doesn't want other people working on it - controlling which changes get put in and when is a nightmare in a professional environment; on a hobby project I can imagine it could be fatal.
It is actually very modular now, and if I had svn or git setup I'd be more then happy for the help in cutting out the bugs. It's been mostly offers of data entry, or finding numbers, or search and replaces which while yes those things will be needed when it's time to add the WoD continent, right now with the back end work those won't help. I do need to stop being ADHD with the code tho and get the major things working instead of getting side tracked by smaller things like guide icons or instance points... I sit down planning to redo the battlegrounds, take one look at the map and current debug messages I have setup and get yanked into the other parts.

11-02-14, 05:02 PM   #162
delabarra
A Murloc Raider
I must mention i miss bg map as i cried on MOP test posts 2 years ago.
Now i must admit that im missing "PUNK DETECTOR" aswell! so fkn awsome.

Keep up the good work!

11-03-14, 01:29 PM   #163
DeaTHCorEKiD
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
hmm Rythal, so let us help... without source we can't do this post the code, git or similar is not absolutely required, a free hoster to the same

11-04-14, 12:45 AM   #164
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
https://github.com/Rythal/Carbonite

11-04-14, 01:43 AM   #165
FirstSpeaker
A Kobold Labourer
All thanks Rythal

Fascinating. Thanks for taking the time to set up !!!

All appreciation and gratitude for the incredible amount of work. And great admiration :-)

11-04-14, 03:37 AM   #166
samyonair
A Frostmaul Preserver

Language Translation deDE

Hi Rythal,

first Thanks for your Work,
I've forked your git to begin translations for deDE, if someone else with more freetime want it to do then feel free to do so.

But If no one begins it is a facepalm for rythal if all have asked for and no one do anything.

That's why I share my freetime with this great project, I've played with Carbonite since it has a free plan because my pocket is mosttimes emty and I'm Happy to help keeping this great project alive, and give something back to this project.

I hope you all can understand what I want to say because it's a longtime since I've written in English :-)

Greetings

Samyonair

11-04-14, 07:55 AM   #167
Eternal_Lynx
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Finally a neat Locale system and that's awesome!
I'm extracting every single zhCN translation from my own zhCN Carbonite BETA.

This addon is not so popular in China, but still got hundreds asking me for a working simplified-Chinese version.
You can see my work here: https://lotc.cc/carbonite-5-4-zhcn.wtf

So just trust me about zhCN locale, I'm a Chinese.

11-04-14, 09:27 AM   #168
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Yes the Locale tidying up and full implementation was what i was working on before the WoD stuff went live, so the main addon is fully done for it, the secondary modules are setup for it but not yet using it or finished.

11-04-14, 11:31 PM   #169
asctt1
A Murloc Raider
where will you be posting the updates

11-05-14, 07:52 AM   #170
Teener
A Murloc Raider
I am assuming this website is for the smart people that know programming ? When its ready will there be a link like the curse client link that just says " download " ?

11-05-14, 07:56 AM   #171
evie2883
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Curse

Yes, once the addon is fully updated for the public, You will see it in Curse Client showing an Update/Download button.

11-05-14, 08:48 AM   #172
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Teener View Post
I am assuming this website is for the smart people that know programming ? When its ready will there be a link like the curse client link that just says " download " ?
Yes as mentioned by evie, while people can download the current work in progress from there and use it, it's definitely not stable nor fully working. It's meant for other's to work on it if they want to. When I actually have it working it'll be here on WoWI and on Curse.

11-05-14, 09:54 AM   #173
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

I have commited fix on Github for Carbonite.Social, please check it Rythal. Now Punk List gets updated.

Last edited by ircdirk : 11-05-14 at 10:06 AM.

11-05-14, 11:43 PM   #174
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
*shakes fist* I still can't figure out for the life of me why battlegrounds maps are not working, and it didn't help I did a big faux pas by running other addons, so my map was flickering like mad and I spent 2 hours debugging it trying to figure out why.... and in the end it was another addon causing it.

I may give up on battlegrounds and move on to getting WoD zones working and the rest of the addon going for parts that are not (like Quests) so at least I can get a 90% working version out the door before WoD and worry about fixing BG's after.

11-06-14, 12:04 AM   #175
sgtevmckay
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Don't you dare buckle under pressure.....

I agree with previous poster.....
Your tackling of this project in your spare time is an extraordinary feat.

If you feel it is ready, then ok, if not; we wait.

Ultimately this has become your baby, and we await patient as always for the delivery announcement.

You just Keep on, Keep'in on

I actually find that I am enjoying the anticipation as much as the expectation. When comes time for Beta, I know where to write my notes

Thanks again

As always; Wife and I will donate as we can

11-06-14, 02:14 AM   #176
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

*shakes fist* I still can't figure out for the life of me why battlegrounds maps are not working, and it didn't help I did a big faux pas by running other addons, so my map was flickering like mad and I spent 2 hours debugging it trying to figure out why.... and in the end it was another addon causing it.

I may give up on battlegrounds and move on to getting WoD zones working and the rest of the addon going for parts that are not (like Quests) so at least I can get a 90% working version out the door before WoD and worry about fixing BG's after.
Look at this Rythal this guy made self fixes to Carbonite: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=50315. And on 6.0.3 BG maps works fine (i think most of Carbonite with this fixes works fine), maybe this will help u

11-06-14, 03:17 AM   #177
Eternal_Lynx
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by ircdirk View Post
Look at this Rythal this guy made self fixes to Carbonite: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=50315. And on 6.0.3 BG maps works fine (i think most of Carbonite with this fixes works fine), maybe this will help u
It won't, it's just id and continent things since Carbonite originally use a four-digit number to represent a zone, and it check the first digit (math.floor(zoneID / 1000)) to tell which zone is on which continent.

But the old system has a weak point that it cannot handle duplicate zone names, unfortunately we have two "Shadowmoon Valley"s in WOD, so Rythal decide to use "Real" mapIDs instead of custom numbers.

Now the problem is, as far as I can see, the code on github, lack the funtional parts to check continent data of zones(BGs are former begins with number 9 but now it varies), I patched one of them and it works fine but still have much to do such as the "Minimap Blocks" and map "MID"s and so on. All funtions related to zone-continent things need to be rewritten.

...and I blame this on Blizzard.

Just look all the expansions after WLK:
vanilla world -> outland -> northrend -> vanilla world REBORN! -> outland REBORN!
So we are going to have a northrend REBORN! in 7.0? Lame!

11-06-14, 03:23 AM   #178
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Eternal_Lynx View Post
It won't, it's just id and continent things since Carbonite originally use a four-digit number to represent a zone, and it check the first digit (math.floor(zoneID / 1000)) to tell which zone is on which continent.

But the old system has a weak point that it cannot handle duplicate zone names, unfortunately we have two "Shadowmoon Valley"s in WOD, so Rythal decide to use "Real" mapIDs instead of custom numbers.

Now the problem is, as far as I can see, the code on github, lack the funtional parts to check continent data of zones(BGs are former begins with number 9 but now it varies), I patched one of them and it works fine but still have much to do such as the "Minimap Blocks" and map "MID"s and so on. All funtions related to zone-continent things need to be rewritten.

...and I blame this on Blizzard.

Just look all the expansions after WLK:
vanilla world -> outland -> northrend -> vanilla world REBORN! -> outland REBORN!
So we are going to have a northrend REBORN! in 7.0? Lame!
Thanks mate for clearing this out... this will help

11-06-14, 08:30 AM   #179
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Eternal_Lynx View Post
And that's why it's been driving me nuts.. in the testing last night I am not doing any continent detection.. if it realizes it's in a BG, it's forcing it to look up the information from continent 90 (and in MapData continent 9 is moved to 90, just so this doesn't come up again in 2-3 years when we are on expansion 9 lol) but the maps not drawing

So I'm missing something somewhere that it's not grabbing or setting the proper continent.

11-06-14, 09:23 AM   #180
Everfroszt
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Smile

Originally Posted by Designadrug View Post
Rythal you are a fscking legend.

I have been programming for 31 years and have taken multiple products to market. You are a better person than I by long way; I couldn't conceive of taking-on the pressures of a project as big as Carbonite in my spare time.
Yes, I *completely* agree. I've only been programming for 26 years, but I TRULY admire all your pro bono efforts to "fix" the Blizz default UI by taking on the clusterfsck that was Carbonite (well, internally, at least) and bring it up to date, all under the pressure of many impatient fans!

P.S. I'm glad I'm not the only one over 30 who's a fellow citizen of Azeroth xP

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » WOD/Pre-patch