04-03-11, 05:52 AM   #1
Effileffi
A Defias Bandit
Deletion of friends?

Dunno if this is a bug or not, but for some reason I can't delete any of my friends. Well, I can, but the next time I log on, the friends I had deleted reappears and are red. Anyone know how I can permanently delete anyone?

04-03-11, 08:59 AM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you are using the "Enhanced Social Window", do you mean the "Pals" list, or "Friends" window? The pals list it controlled by Carbonite, but, as far as I can tell, Carbonite does nothing with your friends list. That's all Blizzard.

If it's Carbonites "Pals" list, right click the name you want deleted and choose "Remove Pal And Friend" from the menu. From the Blizzard "Friends" window, it's basically the same operation, the wording is just different in the menu.

After you are done editing your friends, maybe try reloading the UI (type "/rl" [without the quotes] into chat) to save the changes. I understand that reloading will save certain changes, but I'm not too sure that it will save all changes. I think most Blizzard stuff is saved on character (or, maybe, game) exit.

If you have any addons that work with the "Friends" window, either try disabling them and see if that works, or go through the available options and see if there is something you can check / uncheck for character specific changes, or maybe even a profile option.

Please understand, I'm not saying any particular one of these is the solution for your problem, they are just some things to try. It might be something else entirely that is the root cause of your problem.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 04-03-11 at 09:16 AM.

04-03-11, 09:18 AM   #3
Effileffi
A Defias Bandit
The "Pals" list yes. So I have to delete them from the "Friends" aswell as the "Pals" list? Extra work :/ it says "Remove Pal And Friend" tho...

Last edited by Effileffi : 04-03-11 at 09:24 AM.

04-03-11, 05:57 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well they are two different lists controlled by two different entities, so, maybe, yeah. I haven't had that problem, so I'm not sure what is causing it.

All I can tell you is that odd names often pop up in my Carbonite pals list, which I just right click and remove the name. My Blizzard friends list is very small, containing just some of my "alts" (I'm not even sure why I put them on it) and some of my sons characters names. It just isn't difficult to see changes to the lists for me, and I don't have a problem with odd names popping up in the Blizzard friends list. Except when a major patch (or another expansion) hits. For some odd reason, that causes problems.

05-05-11, 03:46 PM   #5
aessedai
An Aku'mai Servant
Still doesn't work

Thank you for explaining the process for deleting Pals & Friends, but this is something I already knew, although it has never worked since I started using Carbonite years ago. It simply has NEVER worked. When you relog on the pals are back. My Pals list is 300 long and I would love to be able to delete a couple hundred, but can't.

05-05-11, 10:59 PM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I just looked around to try and find where Carbonite stores the "Pals" list. Apparently, it's in the
"Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\SavedVariables\"
folder in the "Carbonite.lua" file. Just to make sure (for yourself), completely exit WoW, navigate to that file, open it with any text editor, and do a search for "pal". You'll probably get a bunch of hits, but eventually you will get the "Pals" list (it was near the bottom of my file).

REMEMBER: This is where Carbonite keeps all of the information for all of your characters.

However, if you want to get rid of the "Pals" list, try renaming that file. Carbonite will build a new one when you start WoW, but all of the setup information for all of your characters will be gone so your Carbonite will look and act as if you just installed it. Now, I don't know for sure if this will work, because I just don't know how much (if any) of that information is stored server-side. That's why you should rename the file instead of deleting it to see what happens. If it doesn't empty your pals list, then completely exit WoW and just delete the new file, and rename the old one back again. You'll still have a huge pals list, but you won't have to set up Carbonite on all of your characters again.

You might even be able to just edit the names out of that file, and be good-to-go. If you try this approach, though, copy (backup) the file to another location first. Once again, if it doesn't work, you can restore the original.

I hope this helps you.

05-07-11, 06:10 PM   #7
djGrrr
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
the reason why pals come back is because they are still on your blizzard friends list on other characters, so when you login to those other characters they get readded to the pals list in carbonite, if u want that to stop happening, remove the friend from the character its on, then delete it from the pals list, by right clicking on the name in the pals list and selecting remove pal and friend

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Deletion of friends?