05-18-19, 04:13 PM   #1
Bleu
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How to get the Interface version

I offer my apologies in advance. This is a somewhat weird question to ask here since it's probably somewhat outside this community's wheelhouse, but I inferred from someone else's wisdom that this may be the best place to ask it. That said...

Assuming you're inside an external app with a path to the WoW installation, what means are there (if any) to get the interface version that WoW install is expecting for valid add-ons?

Sometimes, you can just get the file version info for the WoW executable and format it like this:
{major}{minor:00}{revision:00}

For example, that works with the Classic Beta because its current file version is 1.13.2.30406 and its current interface version is 11302. However, it does NOT work with Retail because its current file version is 8.1.5.29981 and its current interface version (I believe) is 80100.

Last edited by Bleu : 05-18-19 at 04:19 PM.
05-18-19, 04:26 PM   #2
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Code:
[Wow]/_retail_/WTF/Config.wtf
CVar for lastAddonVersion

Means you have to have stared the game at least once.
05-18-19, 04:47 PM   #3
Bleu
A Defias Bandit
Well, fancy seeing you here! I guess this means, unfortunately, that after the game is updated, there's gonna be that gap where you still don't know (until the game is launched and quits). At least you could also track the executable's MD5 and/or version and know that you don't know.

That was really very helpful, thank you. But I have OCD tendencies and now I'm obsessing about that damned gap! lol
05-18-19, 04:51 PM   #4
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Do you mean the gap between updating the game and starting it?

The interface version only changes with Xpacs and major point releases so it's not an every day or even month type thing.

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 05-18-19 at 04:55 PM.
05-18-19, 04:56 PM   #5
Bleu
A Defias Bandit
Yes, you're right. Like I said, OCD tendencies. Thanks again. This will be very helpful.
05-19-19, 12:38 AM   #6
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

From looking at a comparison of 8.1.5 to Classic 1.13.x I can't see the Interface number in there.

We will have to get someone to log onto Classic beta then run the following command in a chat window -

/dump GetBuildInfo()

and giving us what the 4th line it returns. Or doing this -

/dump select(4, GetBuildInfo())

Which runs the same command , selects the 4th line and returns that
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
05-19-19, 01:29 AM   #7
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Given the removal of the interface # from Blizzards 8.2 PTR addon .tocs they may be moving to get rid of it altogether as an out-of-date test.
05-19-19, 06:40 AM   #8
jeruku
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Fizzlemizz View Post
Given the removal of the interface # from Blizzards 8.2 PTR addon .tocs they may be moving to get rid of it altogether as an out-of-date test.
That's a somewhat scary thought. Then how are they going to test for out-of-date addons, build their own addon repository?
05-19-19, 08:50 AM   #9
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
As a test (or at least as a notifier) the interface # has always been a misnomer as "out-of-date". The code is being parsed while loading so they could also do one prior to the character screen showing or some such. The character select screen is also lua so all the required "bits" should be in place.

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 05-19-19 at 09:33 AM.
05-20-19, 01:09 PM   #10
aallkkaa
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

A bit late to this thread but...

Regarding this:
Originally Posted by Bleu View Post
For example, that works with the Classic Beta because its current file version is 1.13.2.30406 and its current interface version is 11302. However, it does NOT work with Retail because its current file version is 8.1.5.29981 and its current interface version (I believe) is 80100.
It seems to me you are seeing it wrong. It's true that an addon with "##Interface: 80100" in its .toc will be considered up to date by the game's addons manager, but that's because, for years (if not since the very begining), addons are therein considered up to date as per their Major.minor (Mmm) interface values, discarding the revision number (Mmmrr).
For example: As a note to myself, my library has "##Interface: 80105", but it would work just the same if it had "##Interface: 80100" instead.

And, unless Classic has changed it, "##Interface: 11300" should work just as well as "##Interface: 11302" (I myself have looked at nothing Classic thus far).
05-20-19, 02:19 PM   #11
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Blue was asking about this in regard to checking currency for creating an addon downloader of his own. There was whole wheel invention process going on because "official" addons weren't available second 1 of Classic beta release.

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 05-20-19 at 02:47 PM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » How to get the Interface version