02-24-10, 01:02 AM   #1
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Elitism on the PTR

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...25372449&sid=1

imo, blizzard needs better requirements for people who use the PTR. for example a max level char. <long paragraph basically saying Blizzard should require people have a Level 80 on any realm before they can get on the PTR>
*face palm*

And my reply to him :

You've just excluded 50 % of all the addon authors including many of the major addon authors who don't have a max level toon on any realm.

Some of them don't even have a toon past Level 1.

Let's see now .... Caireen of Wowinterface.com ... doesn't have a max level toon ..... Kaelten .... no max level toon .... CK Knight (author of Cart as well as a ton of other addons) .... nope don't think so ... Shirik (author of wowinterface's addon client) .... Nope no time....

A max level toon is not needed for serious addon development nor is it needed to provide decent feedback. With this requirement you will prevent many of the major addon authors in the community from being able to install the PTR to test their addons prior to a patch coming out.

In fact Boubielle of MMO-Champion.com doesn't have a max level toon I don't think. If i recall correctly there was an interview where he said he didn't have an 80 and had stopped actively playing a while ago.

That's a a major source of information you've just excluded right there.
Can someone here check my facts ? I don't honestly remember if Shirik had a max level toon but I know our illustrious admin doesn't. And erm Cairreen I've probably misspelled you name like I do all the time.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 02-24-10 at 01:15 AM.
02-24-10, 04:37 AM   #2
Mokhtar
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
In fact Boubielle of MMO-Champion.com doesn't have a max level toon I don't think.
I think it's Boubouille
02-24-10, 05:18 AM   #3
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

Boubouille has 10 level 80's. One of each class I think :P

Reference:

02-24-10, 06:26 AM   #4
Liarsenic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Truthfully, any facet of the game you will find elitism, I mean case in point, Random Wow post about getting ganked 101:OP=WOWYOUREAJERKGANKNIGMYlvl51
Response 1-Lawl nice arena ratings bro
Response 2-AWW BRAH NICE RIVAL TITLE BRAH LAWLAWLAWL
etc.
Same goes with raiding
Random Wow Post about getting a server first
OP=We killed 25m(insert terrible and hopelessly broken or easy boss here)
Response 1-Oh Man, awesome now you're GM is a lootwhore drama queen who faps to goats in wizard costumes
Response 2-lawl Nice arena ratings bro.

And the list goes on, truthfully, I feel there should be a limit, not based on level though. Purely because of what you said, we wouldn't have these wonderful addon Gods like Tekkub or Haste getting our UI necessities ready by patch day if they didn't have PTR to test their amazing addons. The limit should be applied in another way though, and that will be the quest that we should go on!
02-24-10, 07:54 AM   #5
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Does blizz plan to limit access ? No ? It's not worth to fire discussions
like this with more fuel ... no matter if your "facts" are right or not.
02-25-10, 09:47 AM   #6
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
I think Blue is on a campaign to make people not be stupid.

Ultimately, though, I hope he knows he will fail.
02-25-10, 10:05 AM   #7
Taryble
A Molten Giant

Any attempt to make people not be stupid is doomed to failure.

In the words of Albert Einstein, "Only two things are infinite: the Universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the first one."
02-25-10, 10:35 AM   #8
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
I think Blue is on a campaign to make people not be stupid.

Ultimately, though, I hope he knows he will fail.
Sadly yes.

Not matter how many times I point out that your level your posting character is at matters not a whit towards how worthy your post people still believe that delusion.

I was mostly seeking confirmation on the level of toons forum regulars/major addon authors have here.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
02-25-10, 01:25 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I finally got my mage to 80 about a month or so ago.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Elitism on the PTR