05-29-09, 04:04 PM   #1
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Microsoft sneaks Firefox add-on without user knowledge

Wasn't sure how many were aware of this or not. Feedback is appreciated.

http://www.threatpost.com/blogs/micr...user-knowledge
05-29-09, 04:37 PM   #2
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Intersting to say the least ....

Why on Earth is MS adding "compatibility" to Firefox??

Shouldn't Mozilla be adding support for .Net themselves??

Thankfully it is easily removed if the user wants to remove it using Firefox's addon feature.
05-29-09, 05:10 PM   #3
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Thankfully it is easily removed if the user wants to remove it using Firefox's addon feature.
No, it isn't. You have to do some registry hacking, start FireFox, enter its config, change things, close it, then look for files and get rid of them, then open FireFox and make sure it's really gone.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
05-30-09, 09:43 PM   #4
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
No, it isn't. You have to do some registry hacking, start FireFox, enter its config, change things, close it, then look for files and get rid of them, then open FireFox and make sure it's really gone.
Actually they fixed that. So yeah it is easily uninstalled by simply going to Tools>Addons>Uninstall in Firefox.

Update to allow the Uninstall button to work is HERE
05-30-09, 09:55 PM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Much <3 to Republic! =)

I have a question for anyone wishing to answer. Who would need this net framework assistant and why?
05-29-09, 05:12 PM   #6
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Intersting to say the least ....

I had to do a regedit to remove it. The "Uninstall" button on the addon tab was disabled. I just followed the instructions to find all the information I needed to uninstall completely (Thanks for the link Silenia). I had been having slow internet loading since this "update" (also had to uninstall a Java addon "Java Quick Start", in order to keep it off my puter). Loading seems a lot faster (tested slightly, if more problems arise, I'll post).

Another craptastic move by Microsoft Windows.
05-29-09, 08:00 PM   #7
Xarl
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Sure is bad news man and in a way not surprising at all.
05-30-09, 02:04 AM   #8
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

When will Microsoft ever learn? It's a good thing I don't have that Service Pack or the "extension". Then again, I am quite aware of what gets installed on my machine. However once I get my other drive installed, my shiny new Ubuntu 9.04 disc (just arrived in the mail) gets used.

Last edited by Zyonin : 05-30-09 at 02:06 AM.
05-30-09, 02:51 AM   #9
stormkeep
Drunken Dorf

Premium Member
subject line of OP is misleading. "Sneaks" implies the user has no way of seeing it coming. In this case, it is mentioned quite clearly on the download page as well as how to remove it. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-6383ba034eab.

The only way that is sneaky is if the person installing it is blind and not using any kind of text to speech. Or if the user is too mentally challenged to make sure they find out what they are installing when they do an update. I would expect a wowmatrix user to consider it as "sneaking" but not someone here on Wowinterface.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Microsoft sneaks Firefox add-on without user knowledge