in this forum, carboniteaddon's post "Carbonite 5.0"
wow... I feel like a total fool, now. lol

Pro-tip: Don't post when you first get out of bed. lol

09-10-12, 04:53 PM   #362
[email protected]
A Murloc Raider
agreed

Originally Posted by Thorzon View Post
Sorry guys, but I see it like this. If you are going to solicit money from people then people will have a higher expectation of the level of service you should provide.
If it were just a small amount then ya, you're probably right that it shouldn't be a big deal, but...

Lets look at it this way.

Curse = nearly 1.8 MILLION downloads
Let's be conservative and say they have had 1 Million downloads here and another million on carboniteaddon.com
That's nearly 4 Million downloads
Let's say just 1% of those donated at their minimum of $5.
That's nearly $200,000 they possible made.

So, yea. I'm going to hold them to a higher standard than the guy offering true freebies.
And they could (and should) easily log in and post a message to the probably minimum 10's of thousands of players out there that rely on their product.
ill 2nd that, if your gonna put your stuff out there, acquire tons of faithful followers, i would think its an obligation to maintain and update your product. especially working with/ or through curse. we as players- who pay damn good money to play arent really asking for much, just stuff that works. so what im saying is, if they have other and/or more important things going on, go do them. quit halfassing us around. rythal, who is a player, also has a real job, still took the time to fix their ****, even with his real life stuff happening and not expecting anything in return- except maybe alittle acknowledgement and thanks. from what ive been reading- all the work hes put into this, is very very unselfish. as far as im conserned the DEVS and curse and blizz should take a good look at him and raise the bar for their employees, because rythal has put them all in check. Rythal, my brother, if your ever in Zul`jin look me up. Móurnblade. you are top notch dude and i would be honored to run some PVP with ya. peace

09-10-12, 05:11 PM   #363
DJ Particle
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
ill 2nd that, if your gonna put your stuff out there, acquire tons of faithful followers, i would think its an obligation to maintain and update your product. especially working with/ or through curse. we as players- who pay damn good money to play arent really asking for much, just stuff that works. so what im saying is, if they have other and/or more important things going on, go do them. quit halfassing us around. rythal, who is a player, also has a real job, still took the time to fix their ****, even with his real life stuff happening and not expecting anything in return- except maybe alittle acknowledgement and thanks. from what ive been reading- all the work hes put into this, is very very unselfish. as far as im conserned the DEVS and curse and blizz should take a good look at him and raise the bar for their employees, because rythal has put them all in check. Rythal, my brother, if your ever in Zul`jin look me up. Móurnblade. you are top notch dude and i would be honored to run some PVP with ya. peace
This. So very much this.

I seriously was poised to donate once the official Carbonite came back out, but since (a) 5.041 is a buggy mess compared to the unofficial 5.004007, and (b) the Devs' attitude to the fan update is really *not* positive, when IMHO they should have thanked Rythal and possibly worked off his version for the next new version (since Rythal's version, you know, *works*).... I'm holding off my donation for now.

I understand the devs have their own lives and tasks, but when someone else puts functional bandaids on their product, and their response is to basically violently rip off said bandaids and put their *own* bandaids on only a few of the re-opened sores in the name of "it's ours, and Rythal shouldn't have touched it"...yeah, that's not exactly fostering good relations with the end users.

Fact of the matter is, a fan took it upon himself to update it *for now* so we'd have something that works. That fact can't be undone, and mark my words, other fans are circulating Rythal's latest version even now, despite Rythal no longer doing the same. That genie's not going back in the bottle.

The smart thing to do would be to take Rythal's update, and work out the remaining bugs from there, not ignore it simply because he's not part of CBC. That just smacks of elitism and selfishness.

What is needed, is for CBC to add Rythal as a dev. Rythal has the time, dedication, and is still an active player. The solution now, just seems obvious.

09-10-12, 05:54 PM   #364
zhigalov
A Defias Bandit
Please, give me file Carbonite-mop-50407.zip from Rythal. Version 5.041 dont work for me. Sorry my english. Email [email protected]

09-10-12, 06:04 PM   #365
DJ Particle
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by zhigalov View Post
Please, give me file Carbonite-mop-50407.zip from Rythal. Version 5.041 dont work for me. Sorry my english. Email [email protected]
keep in mind, Rythal's update is meant to work in conjunction with the official Carbonite 4.3, which is no longer available.

09-10-12, 06:04 PM   #366
Darkshadow29
A Defias Bandit
I also need this help. I made the mistake and took out the Fan update one for this one thinking that since the maker was gone for so long that this patch would be a patch, not some changed # to make it work with 5.0.4. Could someone plz email me the fan update to [email protected] . thank you for your help and time.

09-10-12, 06:12 PM   #367
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by DJ Particle View Post
keep in mind, Rythal's update is meant to work in conjunction with the official Carbonite 4.3, which is no longer available.
debated on saying this or not, but guess it doesn't hurt... the fan update will work against the official 5.041 since it's all the same as 4.3 except a couple changes in one of the files mine replaced.

09-10-12, 06:16 PM   #368
DJ Particle
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
debated on saying this or not, but guess it doesn't hurt... the fan update will work against the official 5.041 since it's all the same as 4.3 except a couple changes in one of the files mine replaced.
So the other files and folders are the same even in the official version?

09-10-12, 06:25 PM   #369
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by DJ Particle View Post
So the other files and folders are the same even in the official version?
yes, the only changes between 4.301 and 5.041 are in carbonite.lua & carbonite.toc both of which the fan version replaced.

09-10-12, 06:27 PM   #370
zhigalov
A Defias Bandit
Very thanks, Emi Briet, for files. Its WORK.

09-10-12, 06:32 PM   #371
DJ Particle
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

yes, the only changes between 4.301 and 5.041 are in carbonite.lua & carbonite.toc both of which the fan version replaced.
Ah, ok... I'll download the 5.041 and add your patch to it then so that the other 3 folders don't show up as "out of date".

09-10-12, 06:34 PM   #372
bmtphoenix
A Fallenroot Satyr
I emailed the fan update to those who asked for it, and will do so again, if requested.

This whole situation is asinine. You don't write a mod that replaces vital functions of a game with ones that are improved, then both abandon it and claim a license. Then they have (he has?) the guile to show up a month later with a still broken version, acting like the guy who kept your stuff going for you somehow did something wrong.

To be decent people, the developers really only have two options: keep the addon in good working order or release the license. This is just common sense and decency, nothing more.

09-10-12, 06:37 PM   #373
OrlyYarly
A Murloc Raider
Check your PMs.

09-10-12, 06:50 PM   #374
zhigalov
A Defias Bandit
Many thanks to all who responded to my request.

09-10-12, 07:30 PM   #375
[email protected]
A Murloc Raider
Rythal, the pinacle

Originally Posted by bmtphoenix View Post
I emailed the fan update to those who asked for it, and will do so again, if requested.

This whole situation is asinine. You don't write a mod that replaces vital functions of a game with ones that are improved, then both abandon it and claim a license. Then they have (he has?) the guile to show up a month later with a still broken version, acting like the guy who kept your stuff going for you somehow did something wrong.

To be decent people, the developers really only have two options: keep the addon in good working order or release the license. This is just common sense and decency, nothing more.
bmtphoenix, glad to see we`re on the same page. i once again have to give Rythal props, cause if i went to all the trouble to fix someone elses failings, then get a very cold shoulder for basically covering their asses, i`d be blind with anger, especially when its a benefit for so many people. but f#!k them, cause we all very much appreciate his effort

09-10-12, 07:36 PM   #376
[email protected]
A Murloc Raider
still ranting

as a matter of fact, i wouldnt use their update if they paid me. im using Rythals proudly. itll be beter than the DEVs. theirs will be bugged to death anyhow and string us along untill they can get their asses out of starbucks and feel like getting it right. ok, im done bitching now

09-10-12, 08:50 PM   #377
Rexall51
A Murloc Raider
I don't know why everyone else is having problems, could be other addons causing conflicts but I am having no trouble with the new version. I have'nt had one lua error since installing it.

09-10-12, 09:26 PM   #378
skyesfury
An Aku'mai Servant
I was actually going to say this, too. I was lucky enough to find my old download link in firefox so I could use that to get a proper, working version of Carb. The map blanking out all over the place without hovering over it is just unacceptable. Rythal's version doesn't do that. Funny how the fan update is more polished than the dbag author's.

09-10-12, 10:52 PM   #379
rumpelstiltskin
A Kobold Labourer
5.041 broken here...LF 50407

I have DL'd and tried the official Carbonite 5.041. Seems that I may have conflicts with other addons as my map shows a black circle in a 100yd radius with no detailed map for my immediate location.

If anyone can suggest a fix that would be appreciated.

Otherwise, can someone please send Carbonite-mop-50407.zip from Rythal to a-m-mooneyATmsn.com? Thanks.

09-11-12, 03:25 AM   #380
judaz14
A Murloc Raider
can someone please send me the "Carbonite-mop-50407.zip from Rythal" per mail, too??

[email protected]

the "official" version from carbonite doesn´t work for me as i´m playing in german, and i already updated (to fast)!

thanks a lot...

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite 5.04