09-04-11, 12:09 PM   #1
horse21
An Aku'mai Servant
Trying to recover my UI

So, something happened that has caused some issues. I'm not sure if it was running WoW in linux through wine, or installing the auctioneer mod.

When I log in, none of my RDX frames show up. The RDX main menu backdrop and button names display, but not the buttons. The floating RDX circle button also displays. When I /reloadui, the RDX main menu buttons come up, but none of my frames. The only error that comes up is when I mouseover something, something about 'attempt to index upvalue 'bkdtmp' (a nil value)' in GameTooltip.lua, though I assume the game tooltip wouldn't drop my UI.

It seems like all of the RDX main menu buttons work after I reload the UI. However, the only entries in the Repository Object Browser are:
WoWRDX
desktops
scripts

WoWRDX has almost nothing in it (Party_fset only)
default seems like it may have everything
desktops is empty
scripts is empty (though I believe it was before this happened anyhow)

So, all of the default themes, as well as my own package are no longer there. When I try and click on the 'UI->Themes' in the RDX main menu, the Themes dropdown does not show up.

What may have caused this? Most importantly, what file would my UI be located in, in case I need to reinstall? I hit the Backup Packages for my package a couple times, but I don't see anything in the Addons/RDX_recovery/RDX_recovery.lua file

Thanks for the help!
09-05-11, 05:16 AM   #2
Narinka
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Try to reinstall WoWRDX OOBE maybe or just make fresh install of RDX.
Your recovery file should be in SavedVariables folder (RDX_Recovery.lua), not in "Addons", but in \WTF\ etc..
09-05-11, 08:49 AM   #3
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
This is the second time someone is posting this kind of problem.

RDX has a file system (or repository). it seems it is corrupted.

To repair your rdx, do this:
/rdx masterReset

Did you have a WoW crash ?
Or WoW didn't stop find ?
You said that you were playing under Linux ?

Can you provide the list of addons you were using ?

Do a regulaly backup of your repository, a file name RDX_filesystem.lua.
It should be somewhere under WTF\ folder.
09-05-11, 11:53 AM   #4
horse21
An Aku'mai Servant
I don't see the recovery, unfortunately... Does it get cleared out by something? Perhaps at that point part of the file system was already corrupt?

I switch back and forth between Linux (Ubuntu) and WIndows 7. I had more or less created the majority of my stuff in Windows, hadn't logged into Linux until this happened. Also, I had no other mods installed until this happened, until I installed the Auctioneer package.

I believe Auctioneer consists of:
Auc-Auctioneer
Auc:Filter:Basic
Auc:ScanData
Auc:Stat:Histogram
Auc:Stat:iLevel
Auc:Stat:Purchased Stats
Auc:Stat:Simple
Auc:Stat:Std Deviation
Auc:Util:FixAH
BeanCounter
Enchantrix
EnchantrixBarker
Informant
SlideBar
Stubby
Swatter

After that, I had the RDX and the RDX media package from the site

Everything was working well while as I had been playing in Windows for a while. The only mod I had installed was RDX. I started up my computer one day and decided to tinker around with Linux. I also knew I had a lot of things to put on the auction house, so I installed Auctioneer. Actually, I may have:
  • loaded the game in Linux properly
  • saw I had a lot to auction
  • exited game
  • installed auctioneer
  • loaded game again
  • RDX file system corrupted
That actually sounds like what happened. WoW did not crash, it didn't produce any big error or anything, just that tooltip one I mentioned, but it seems unrelated.

Looking at this, my guess is the filesystem got corrupted after I loaded/exited the game in Linux. Then the next time I logged into the game Things were screwy, but no errors or crashes.
09-05-11, 12:25 PM   #5
horse21
An Aku'mai Servant
strange, when i type '/rdx masterReset' I get an invalid command response, telling me correct commands.... one of them being '/rdx masterReset'
09-05-11, 12:49 PM   #6
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
Ok moving from Linux to window has certainly break the file.
The Linux file do not use the same returnline caractere than a windows file ...

When you switch back to windows, the file was unreadable by windows...

Sorry.

About Master reset, you have a link available on the main menu. Button 4, Master Reset.
09-06-11, 12:43 PM   #7
horse21
An Aku'mai Servant
Thanks Sigg. Is there a way to make this os agnostic so switching around isn't a problem? I like being able to run WoW in Linux from my windows partition, keeps everything in one place. I assume using backups to transfer from a windows to linux installation of WoW would work, but that's a lot of hassle.

That button worked and I'm up and running again, though I was still unable to find record of my old work. On the plus side, I took more time to make my unit frames look nice this go around, haha. Out of the ashes!

Thanks again!
09-06-11, 03:56 PM   #8
Brainn
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
as narinka said, the recovery-file should be in <wow folder>\wtf\account\<accountname>\savedvariables\

if it really is caused by corrupt encoding there are tools to fix that stuff, google should help you with that.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » OpenRDX » OpenRDX Community » OpenRDX: Community Chat » Trying to recover my UI