Hai,

is mine big??? do i need to remove it?

thanks ..
05-22-09, 04:59 PM   #22
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
That quite possibly might actually be the best option. I was really hoping that there was a better option than that - and you almost think why no one has created something to help with this.
the missing link for me remains the apparent inability to leave these images hosted on the game signature site that generates them, and just pick a URI at random, from a list hosted and supplied by that signature site, for display in my signature.

however i slice/dice it, for a "rotator" capability, i have to download all of those images and "post-process" them in some way, rather than just reference them where they live.

my fault for building so many characters... i had a lot of them at the level cap at one point, too many to meaningfully progress at this point.
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"
05-22-09, 05:58 PM   #23
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by acapela View Post
however, it seems that, as far as a busy topic would be concerned (i.e. the comments section for Aloft, where my posts appear numerous times per visible page), all of these rotated signature images would get used anyway (i.e. no real efficiency/download volume win, on page view, versus an animated GIF containing all of them).
It should only be picking one image each load and using it for every instance. To demonstrate this, I'm using the script to serve up 4 simple images (I claim immunity from punitive effects for the purpose of this demonstration!) Compare the signature of this post to the one of my previous post.
05-22-09, 06:39 PM   #24
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Ok I have yet to try images, but before I was using HTML. Might that be the case because it is trying to show HTML tags and such rather than viewing it from the URL working fine?

I'll try images next when I get the chance.
05-22-09, 06:51 PM   #25
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Psychophan7 View Post
It should only be picking one image each load and using it for every instance.
yes, my point being that: if i want to randomize N signature images, and i often have more than N posts visible on any given page of my addon's comments, then if perfectly random all N images would be downloaded on the typical page view there, and in terms of bandwidth that would materially be no different than a single animated GIF containing the same N images.

so, if a user is viewing a page where i have a large number of posts, going to all this trouble to host PHP and randomize images will not necessarily save them anything versus using the animated GIF. of course, the animated GIF always guarantees the worst case, in terms of download size, so maybe it is worth it.

if there is a way to randomize URIs, however, saving me the trouble of transferring and "post-processing" images, i could see that as a definite win .
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"
05-22-09, 07:07 PM   #26
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
If you have 5 images in the directory, and you have 20 posts on a page, then the PHP script should only load one of the five images for all 20 posts, instead of all 5 throughout the 20 posts.
05-23-09, 05:30 PM   #27
endx7
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by acapela View Post
yes, my point being that: if i want to randomize N signature images, and i often have more than N posts visible on any given page of my addon's comments, then if perfectly random all N images would be downloaded on the typical page view there, and in terms of bandwidth that would materially be no different than a single animated GIF containing the same N images.
It doesn't work that way though. You can influence the browser to reload the image each time it is "viewed", but it will only load the url once per page. If they reloaded the page, all yours sigs can change, but they'll still change to the new randomly picked image.

(Technically, I guess a browser could reload the image again every time it's seen in a page, but I don't know any browser that does that.)
05-25-09, 11:55 AM   #28
Ackis
A Cliff Giant

I R SORRY!

05-25-09, 12:02 PM   #29
Ackis
A Cliff Giant

Whee! I R FIXED!!!!

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Signature Rules