06-06-08, 10:16 AM   #1
Veltor
A Defias Bandit
RAM type and RAM Speed, confused

I want to upgrade my computer RAM from 1gb to 2gb. But I did checked the Product Specifications of my computer, and my Motherboard specifications table, and they dont say the same thing??

My Computer Spec table says:
Maximum RAM allowed
1.0 GB (2 X 512 MB)
Speed supported
PC2700 MB/sec, 184 pin, DDR SDRAM

My Motherboard specifications table says:

2 x 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets
Support up to maximum 2 GB memory (2 X 1024 GB)
Supports unbuffered PC2700/2100 non-ECC DDR SDRAM memory

So my Motherboard spec says that I CAN have up to 2Gb of RAM, while my computer spec says that I CANT... wich one says the truth? I checked on www.crucial.com, and it also says that I can upgrade to 2 Gb...

Also, the speed of the RAM is confusing, because I actually DO have one DDR PC3200 and one DDR PC2700 installed... but both specs says that I can only use PC2700. If so, how can I have a PC3200 working?

-Is all that confusion because my computer is an older one, and that PC3200 and 1Gb RAM didnt exist at the period the specifications was written?
-Or does it mean that I just cant upgrade anymore, and that my current PC3200 is actually damaging my computer?

Also, in all honesty, would upgrading my RAM from 1Gb to 2Gb make a difference? Will I get good improvement in FPS?

Heres the spec of my computer:
HP Pavilion a800n
AMD Athlon XP (B) 3200+ 2.2 GHz
400 MHz Front side bus, Socket A
2 x 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets
Actually with 1Gb of RAM
NVidia GEForce 6800 GT 256Mb

Thanks all for your help.
06-06-08, 10:39 AM   #2
jonathon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yes, it will help with the game performance, but eventually you will want to buy a new computer.

My question is this, When you say your computer is telling you, what do you mean? is the operating system telling you this? or some third party software?

I believe, and I could be wrong, that if you computer only supports up to 2700 and you put in 3200 that the computer uses the ram, just at a slower speed.

also, what operating system are you using?
06-06-08, 10:49 AM   #3
Veltor
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by wildlandfire21 View Post
Yes, it will help with the game performance, but eventually you will want to buy a new computer.

My question is this, When you say your computer is telling you, what do you mean? is the operating system telling you this? or some third party software?

I believe, and I could be wrong, that if you computer only supports up to 2700 and you put in 3200 that the computer uses the ram, just at a slower speed.

also, what operating system are you using?
I am talking about the spec sheets that came with the computer, the paper ones :-) I have both the spec sheet of the Mother Board itself, and the spec sheet of the computer.

And I am using Windows XP Famillial SP2 32 bit
06-06-08, 11:57 AM   #4
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I am no HP/Compaq expert, but from their site the motherboard for the Pavilion a800n is an ASUS A7V8X-LA. Indeed it has 2x 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets which support unbuffered PC2700/2100 non-ECC DDR SDRAM memory. So yes it should support 2x 1GB of RAM. I guess it can be 2100, 2700 or 3200, but like wildlandfire21 said you will not get anything better than 2700. Also considering the 2100 are becoming rare you may even get a better price on the 2700.

Now there may be a trick on the HP version of the motherboard itself (which is referenced Kelut-GL6E by HP, no clue where the trick is) because on the site they do mention "Support up to maximum 2 GB memory (PC manufacturer's maximum memory may differ)". Who knows what that means. I would call HP support and ask them...

Anyway if you Google for "A7V8X-LA memory" you should find plenty of options.

Last edited by Kaomie : 06-06-08 at 12:00 PM.
06-06-08, 01:49 PM   #5
digmouse
A Fallenroot Satyr
1GB X2 DDR 400 is OK, trust me
06-06-08, 01:59 PM   #6
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
If you put 2700 and 3200 the 3200 will downgrade to the 2700 .. the system will match their speeds to the slower of the two.

There should be no reason why you can not use 2gb. I would suggest that you but a paired set together in the same package. This will ensure compatibility with the two sticks. Also look around for memory that is compatible with that type of motherboard. In rare occasions certain brands or models of memory will not work in certain boards.

If you get the two and for some reason they don't work try looking around for any firmware updates that might fix the problem.

But I would say you should have no problems with going with 2gb .

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » RAM type and RAM Speed, confused