04-15-09, 07:45 PM   #421
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
There was roughly a 24hour warning. I read the article the day before the patch went live. The fact that some folks didnt see it is not unexpected in my eyes. Even if they gave a week i would guess that the number of angry posts would be the same or in all probability much higher. Some folks would have been appeased though i would imagine the number of those people would have been quite small judging by the number of people that have said a warning would be nice.
Let's face facts... A lot if not most of the people complaining about this have never set (metaforically speaking) foot on this web site. They never felt the need. I say bollocks to that! (did I get that right?)

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
04-15-09, 07:47 PM   #422
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by guice View Post
Did you know it has been dropping? It's why Google is going other routes, now. Online Office packages, business searches (we just bought a Google search packages to index a site for a client so we can use Google Search but through an API keeping our site intact).

I know EQI and WoWI has done it for a while now. I was quite acting during EQInterface's initial startup days. I even wrote tutorials (which are far outdated and no longer wrking) for EQ's interface.
Did you know the economy is dropping, and has been for some time now? I'm well aware that Google is branching into other revenue streams, but that does not change the fact that they created a billion dollar business on advertising. There are plenty of sites out there whose main source of revenue is ad-based, Google is just a high profile example.
Another example: Broadcast TV.
04-15-09, 07:52 PM   #423
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by voodoodad2000 View Post
Let's face facts... A lot if not most of the people complaining about this have never set (metaforically speaking) foot on this web site. They never felt the need. I say bollocks to that! (did I get that right?)
I agree completely. And yes i think you got it right

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
04-15-09, 07:58 PM   #424
Raventiger
A Cyclonian

The entitlement attitude of some people never ceases to amaze me. I've said it once I'll say it again, if you want to moan and complain, complain to WM for not hosting the addons you want to update like Curse and WOWInterface do. Of course they'd have to pay their own bills for doing so, so good luck in getting that to happen.

It amazes me that people are more then happy to use addons, provided to them for free, but they are not prepared to support the authors of those mods so that development on them continues.

Last edited by Raventiger : 04-15-09 at 08:02 PM.
04-15-09, 07:59 PM   #425
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
Did you know the economy is dropping, and has been for some time now? I'm well aware that Google is branching into other revenue streams, but that does not change the fact that they created a billion dollar business on advertising. There are plenty of sites out there whose main source of revenue is ad-based, Google is just a high profile example.
Another example: Broadcast TV.

nm. I don't wish to go into this discussion here. It's offtopic. The point still remains - the question is when will it falter, not how long can you hold onto it (Newspapers?).
04-15-09, 08:01 PM   #426
Ancandune
A Kobold Labourer
Working Together

It's a real shame that WoW Interface, Curse and WoW Matrix can't find a way to work together for the benefit of the community.

A working add on manager, like WoW Matrix, that is supported and works for multiple sites. That is something I would pay for.

This bickering hurts us all.
04-15-09, 08:06 PM   #427
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Ancandune View Post
It's a real shame that WoW Interface, Curse and WoW Matrix can't find a way to work together for the benefit of the community.

A working add on manager, like WoW Matrix, that is supported and works for multiple sites. That is something I would pay for.

This bickering hurts us all.
Now that I can agree with! Huzzah Ancandune!

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
04-15-09, 08:18 PM   #428
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by guice View Post
Curse is backed by IGE.
Ah not this crap again. Curse has never been even remotely related to IGE. WoWI here is part of ZAM, which blah blah blah IGE. We went down this road, what, a year ago? IGE isn't even in the picture anymore, but the relationships people try to create to justify not using a ZAM site never existed.

Hell, the same convo has been had on alla, wowhead, thottbot... IGE never owned, operated or funded anyone else that the parent company bought.
04-15-09, 08:46 PM   #429
thedom416
A Defias Bandit
First off I will be honest that I have read no more than the first post and the tail of the last page. That said I understand that bandwidth is expensive and definitely appreciate what the authors and the community does for WoW for everyone, it makes life as a player much easier and more convenient.

This is my problem tho, wowmatrix was the first program I tried that was remotely user friendly after wowaceupdater went under. If they were profiting then that really sucks and I hate it for the legit sites, but I would like to know if either site is ever going make a program worth me downloading and learning how to use. Last time I tried one it required me to find all the download links for the mods and the names and paths and frankly it was too much of a pain in the ass to try instead of just going and finding it on the website in the first place. It would just be nice to find a legitimate program (even for a small fee) that would find the addons, check for updates, and properly install them.
04-15-09, 08:51 PM   #430
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Thedom416, Both Curse and WoWI have installers. They both work quite well in their latest incarnations. The one from Curse pretty much nailed them all right off. The WoWI one, while slightly outdated and requiring me to input about 6 out of 90 addons I use, only took me about 5-10 minutes to initially setup and now is a one click wonder

Hope that helps
04-15-09, 08:57 PM   #431
thedom416
A Defias Bandit
Well with a vote of confidence in the updaters I guess I will have to give them a try, I really hate to sound like a selfish dick but I just don't see how can be so hard to find a balance and create a program that doesn't steal from the sites and still is fully functional.

I should admit its probably been awhile since I tried the updater (I think it was curse) but it was really just plain bad...
04-15-09, 09:00 PM   #432
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

All I can say is that I know the Admin's here are working tirelessly to get a well thought out and implemented updater out as soon as they can. We'll all just have to have patience and work with the tools we have at our disposal until it's ready.
04-15-09, 09:27 PM   #433
vauge
A Defias Bandit
You know Hulu is trying to keep Boxee from getting their content.
It's not working.

What makes you think your idea is any brighter and will stop people from getting your content? People flock to wowmatrix. Your shooting yourself in the foot, it is unfortunate you cannot see it.

Wowmatrix is a new concept, like MP3's - it is considered illegal/piracy/wrong/un-ethical but ease of use always wins the day. The public only has a conscience when it actually effects their own person.

If your new updater is JAVA based like the crap you have currently, I'll pass and update manually. Make it super simple standalone *not JAVA* for all OS like wowmatrix, and you could come out a winner and genius. Better do it soon. Clock is ticking.

I'm guessing WM is working hard on a workaround...
04-15-09, 09:47 PM   #434
Hic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by vauge View Post
You know Hulu is trying to keep Boxee from getting their content.
It's not working.

What makes you think your idea is any brighter and will stop people from getting your content? People flock to wowmatrix. Your shooting yourself in the foot, it is unfortunate you cannot see it.

Wowmatrix is a new concept, like MP3's - it is considered illegal/piracy/wrong/un-ethical but ease of use always wins the day. The public only has a conscience when it actually effects their own person.

If your new updater is JAVA based like the crap you have currently, I'll pass and update manually. Make it super simple standalone *not JAVA* for all OS like wowmatrix, and you could come out a winner and genius. Better do it soon. Clock is ticking.

I'm guessing WM is working hard on a workaround...
What's the problem with JAVA? Right now is by far the most widely used multi-OS language, and it rocks for exactly these kind of applications.

I actually did my own java "updater" back when Wowace went under. It used google and directed me to pages instead of downloading. All in under 4kbs of code.

BTW, quite sure that right now the Download protection is based on Java. You're using it and not even noticing, way to shoot yourself in the foot

Last edited by Hic : 04-15-09 at 09:52 PM.
04-15-09, 09:47 PM   #435
jbishhh
A Defias Bandit
golfclap

What’s truly unfortunate here is that WI has a crap client and curse client doesn't carry all the add-ons I like, or gives some crap guild pack in place of it. People didn’t flock to wow matrix because of moral practices. People flocked to wow matrix because it was twice the client that WI and curse are combined. The only thing that was accomplished here is a deeper resentment toward WI and curse. As soon as a better add-on site is available, ill be sprinting toward them with open arms.
Thank you both for making patch day the hell it was before I discovered Wowmatrix. I only hope you learn something from what happened and find a way to perform better.
04-15-09, 09:51 PM   #436
Hic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by jbishhh View Post
What’s truly unfortunate here is that WI has a crap client and curse client doesn't carry all the add-ons I like, or gives some crap guild pack in place of it. People didn’t flock to wow matrix because of moral practices. People flocked to wow matrix because it was twice the client that WI and curse are combined. The only thing that was accomplished here is a deeper resentment toward WI and curse. As soon as a better add-on site is available, ill be sprinting toward them with open arms.
Thank you both for making patch day the hell it was before I discovered Wowmatrix. I only hope you learn something from what happened and find a way to perform better.
Right, because if Wowinterface and Curse went under and your wowmatrix stopped working just the same, due to the lack of leeching source, now that would be cool and wouldn't make patch day a nightmare.
04-15-09, 10:04 PM   #437
Jalandar
A Cliff Giant
Bandwidth has never been the real issue

Bandwidth has never been the real issue. WoWMatrix has had a standing offer for any mod author who felt the bandwidth was a burden for distributing their mod to host it for them, for free.

If WoWI was smart, they would get in on the right side of this issue, and make a large public overture to WoWMatrix of how they can work together along the lines of my previous posts.

If they aren't, they will stay the course, and WoWMatrix will work around them yet again, and the situation will just return to the way it has been.

They are already close to that from what I see. Don't miss your opportunity.
04-15-09, 10:08 PM   #438
jbishhh
A Defias Bandit
I only hope you learn something from what happened and find a way to perform better.
I could care less if any of the content from wm was leeched or not, but I have to question the % of leeched content when I download your client and find that i have to go to the writers websites to find what i'm looking for because curse and wi don't have it. Defend this place to the death if you want but the fact remains that wow matrix NEVER posed any headache and never failed to provide any any up to date addon I have ever wanted.

Service speaks for itself and wow matrix had people flocking to it. What does that tell you?
04-15-09, 10:08 PM   #439
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Hic View Post
Right, because if Wowinterface and Curse went under and your wowmatrix stopped working just the same, due to the lack of leeching source, now that would be cool and wouldn't make patch day a nightmare.
Patch day would probably be a lot better if WoWI and Curse went down, because we would probably all have 1 or 2 addons instead of 4 bazillion to manage

(Which brings up an interesting point: I would be curious to know how many people who complain about having to update 300 addons actually checked to see if those 300 addons really needed updating, or if they just assumed patch = broken)

Don't answer that -- it was hypothetical and cannot be answered without bias.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
04-15-09, 10:10 PM   #440
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

As soon as a better add-on site is available, ill be sprinting toward them with open arms.
Iincgamers doesn't block WM. Go on now, do your sprint.

Service speaks for itself and wow matrix had people flocking to it. What does that tell you?
WM doesn't even have a forum. They have a "contact us" form and nothing more. I think you're confusing service and product here. People flocked to WM's product. As far as I've seen, their service is nonexistent.

Last edited by Tekkub : 04-15-09 at 10:13 PM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users