08-08-12, 05:12 PM   #1
Tempista
A Murloc Raider
Version is Old bug

Version 4.301 is now giving the "carbonite version is old" message.

08-08-12, 08:41 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yes. Again. However, there have been no recent updates. Again.

To fix the "nag" message (the out-of-date message), please see This Post. It explains where to find the part you need to change. I didn't figure out the fix, I just updated where in the code you can find it. The file you want to search in is the "Carbonite.lua" file, which you can find in your "Path to your WoW folder\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite\" folder.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

08-10-12, 08:42 PM   #3
Cherio
A Fallenroot Satyr
perhaps its a timer alert at developers end too to check game and addon :P

08-10-12, 09:41 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Cherio View Post
perhaps its a timer alert at developers end too to check game and addon :P
No. It's just a bit of code left over from when Carbonite was a subscription (read: paid for) based addon. It was updated much more frequently then, but the code has remained in use. It is safe to modify it so that the "nag" message goes away, and it is very easy to do.

Neither of the original developers of Carbonite play WoW very often anymore, but I understand that at least one of the developers children does (or at least did). They both lead very active lives, and with families and full time jobs there isn't very much time left over to either play WoW or work on Carbonite. Hopefully they'll be able to find the time to update it for MoP when the time comes.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 08-10-12 at 09:48 PM.

08-11-12, 03:58 PM   #5
SoonerBourne
A Kobold Labourer
First off...I love this addon, have loved it since before it was a paid addon to WoW, through the paid part, and now back to the free version. It has become an integrated part of how I play WoW and makes playing soo much faster/better.

Thanks for the fix on getting the nag message to disappear.

I did it a little different, and the fix still seems to work for me. If you search the LUA for the message "This version is pretty old" you can find where it prints the message to the screen using the Nx.prt(s) ability (line 22794). You can add two dashes before "Nx.prt(s)" and it will comment out the code that prints the nag message to the game. Not sure if anyone else wants to go that route, but I didn't want to have to try to find the date in the LUA again in the future to change. Of course, this may all be a moot point for MoP.

08-19-12, 02:18 PM   #6
Tempista
A Murloc Raider
Thanks for the fix!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Version is Old bug