04-15-09, 08:55 AM   #361
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by lycanther View Post
"WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users" is a lie...they are not protecting authors, or users, all that they are protecting is their advertising revenue stream.

When WoWMatrix was hosting their own repositories, WoWI and Curse called that evil, and when WoWMatrix no longer used their own repositories, they called that evil as well. It's just that WoWI and Curse are trying to form a cartel and force every user's eyeballs past those same banner ads.
WoWI and Curse had no problem with WM hosting their own repositories. It was the authors who did not allow for redistribution in their license, which WM ignored.
04-15-09, 09:35 AM   #362
Spyan
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by voodoodad2000 View Post
Attention, WM users! After the patch, I updated a total of 12 addons. One more addon seems to be completely broken with no sign of an update (autobar) and therefore was deleted. I counted mouse-clicks on each of the valid manual updates and it came to a total of 12 clicks per update. So, 144 mouseclicks later, I don't feel as if I've been violated too much by WoWI's new policy of blocking WM. I currently use 83 seperate addons, btw. 12 out of 83 isn't that bad. My point is, is it really all that nerve racking and painful to do manual updates until WoWI gets their updater,,, ummm,,, updated?

P.S. My right index finger is starting to hurt... maybe I should see a doctor,,,
144 clicks vs 4? Only 4? I think so. Two clicks to launch WM, one click to update, one click to close. And what is the time difference?
04-15-09, 10:12 AM   #363
kawye
A Defias Bandit
Curse client

Although Curse client 2 (at least for macintosh) was pretty bad, the version 3 of it seems a lot better and its working quite well.

It would be interesting if Curse and WOWI could work together to deliver a client that could download addons from both sites (making the reference on the addon list in which site is the addon hosted of corse).

I know that what i am saying is probably impossible and will probably never happen, but being Curse and WOWI the biggest addon hosts, this would be a handy solution.

Any way, was about time to ban WM.
04-15-09, 10:15 AM   #364
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Spyan View Post
144 clicks vs 4? Only 4? I think so. Two clicks to launch WM, one click to update, one click to close. And what is the time difference?
I had 5 addons in my favorites list to be updated this morning. So... let's count here.
  • I visit the site and see that I have favorites updated. I got to favorites - that's 1 click.
  • I use the quick download links next to the five addons. That's 5 clicks.
  • I open the My Downloads folder where I save stuff to (I used to have them sent to the desktop - that would eliminate this step. Hence, I'm just going to leave it out, since downloading to desktop is default, iirc.)
  • In my My Downloads folder where they got saved, I highlight the zip files and right-click to get the menu. (2 clicks)
  • Then I click "Extract Here" (from either the WinRAR or 7zip sections - your pick) - one more click.
  • I drag the still highlighted zips to the recycle bin.
  • I open my WoW folder from the shortcut on my desktop, and go to the addons folder. 3 clicks.
  • I highlight and drag the new addons into the folder. (2 clicks)
  • I click "Yes to all" for replacing files.
  • I'm done.

Total: 16 clicks
Time: 1-2 minutes

There are other ways to do this, too. I could have done "Extract files...", picked my addons directory from the menu and had them extracted right there automatically. (2 clicks, if you already had your addons directory selected) This would have made it 12 clicks.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-15-09, 10:41 AM   #365
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I chose not to use Wow Matrix before due to it being linked to the spate of keyloggers getting onto guild officer accounts during a 2 week period last year. Since then I have manually downloaded from either curse.com or wowinterface.com or the developers own site when Ive found it but today I can't seem to do that as it seems to think I am using a downloading tool.

I am using internet explorer on vista with a google toolbar with a pop up blocker installed. Yesterday before the servers came up I managed to download all my addons but now I seem to not be able to. Getting messages on wow that something is going wrong and on curse that Im using a downloading tool not authorised.
04-15-09, 10:47 AM   #366
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

I do wonder. In all the time some folks have been fighting vigorously for Wm have they updated their addon? Or have they been fighting all this time in the hopes of not having to do it 'the hard way' and refused to actually update until then?

All other things aside there have been very few mods that have completely broken due to this patch. I run somewhere around 95 addons. Took me all of 5 minutes to update the broken ones (about 15 or so) If 5 minutes is too much time for people then bigger issues are afoot here than the blocking of an addon updater that would have caused the site to go down anyway. Much like it did last time. The reason some of the supporters of WM dont seem to believe this is because you never went to the sites during that time so you wouldnt have seen the site locking up and going offline.

I fully believe the Wowi team had no other choice in this matter. Ive been working near them so to speak since the days of eqinterface and have never seen them do anything that wasnt in the best interest of the community as a whole. That being users AND authors. Most of the WM complaints are from users. Precious few authors seem upset by this.

Thanks for keeping the site up and running.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
04-15-09, 12:21 PM   #367
Aequi
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
It was either block them and stay online or not block them and have our severs flooded with requests because we are the only one not blocking them.
Funny thing though, if Curse and WoWi had closed down state'ing that the bandwidth costs from WM no long allowed you to stay open, you would had succeeded in making WM look bad in the eyes of everyone.
They are the bad guys, obviously - but people will not see it like that.

I know this isn't a popularity contest, but PR isn't something to be ignored.
(i do support the block, honestly!)
04-15-09, 12:34 PM   #368
Lightor
A Murloc Raider
The thing is you shut down WM, for good reason. But WM is popular and everyone loves it, did it ever occur that you could work out a deal with them? They pay for some of the bandwidth, maybe become partners?

But you shut it down, which Ok, I understand, you want us to view your adds (like many ppl i use add blockers away) and look at your site. See this is where there is a prob. Ever other click I'm getting server errors from your site, download buttons for addons aren't showing up and download speeds seem to be rly slow at time. All this frustration just made me feel more justified for using WM all this time.

(Lol, even in trying to post this reply I'm getting errors from your site, and yes, I've tried on multiple browsers.)
04-15-09, 01:17 PM   #369
Raventiger
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Lightor View Post
The thing is you shut down WM, for good reason. But WM is popular and everyone loves it, did it ever occur that you could work out a deal with them? They pay for some of the bandwidth, maybe become partners?

But you shut it down, which Ok, I understand, you want us to view your adds (like many ppl i use add blockers away) and look at your site. See this is where there is a prob. Ever other click I'm getting server errors from your site, download buttons for addons aren't showing up and download speeds seem to be rly slow at time. All this frustration just made me feel more justified for using WM all this time.

(Lol, even in trying to post this reply I'm getting errors from your site, and yes, I've tried on multiple browsers.)

Hi,

Yes at the moment you are getting server errors. Why is this occurring. Wow gee, I don't know, could it be that a major patch has just been released and everyone is downloading updates to their mods?

Naaaa, WOWInterface must be buggy.

*cough*

Here's the issue, if WM had done the right thing, and hosted the mods themselves, you wouldn't be having a problem right now. Also if WOWInterface/Curse hadn't blocked WM, this site come to a standstill. Why because of all of the WM users leeching bandwidth from WOWInterface. Bandwidth that WOWInterface and Curse have to pay for.

Or to put it another way, if WOWInterface and Curse had to shut down, not only would the membres of their communites suffer, but you WM users would too, simply because you wouldn't be able to get your addon's. So do us a favorite please. Inside of moaning here and complaining about this site and Curse. How about you moan and complain to WM. Obviously they have a great user interface for updating mods. Now all they have to do is pay the costs for hosting those mods themselves and your problems would be solved.

Finally if you actually bother to read through this thread you will see that both Curse and WOWInterface tried to work something out with WM and it didn't work. Please take the time to actually find out the facts of a situation before moaning and groaning about it.

Have a nice day.
04-15-09, 01:32 PM   #370
Tuhljin
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

First, for the umpteenth time, a partnership approach failed because WM didn't want a fair deal. You really should read the thread before you post in it, or at least read a sizable portion of it.

Second, the problems you're seeing with the WoWI server right now only underscore the problem that WM creates. They were putting too much weight on the server, so to speak, enough so that no one could use it.
04-15-09, 01:36 PM   #371
Lightor
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Raventiger View Post
Hi,

Yes at the moment you are getting server errors. Why is this occurring. Wow gee, I don't know, could it be that a major patch has just been released and everyone is downloading updates to their mods?

Naaaa, WOWInterface must be buggy.

*cough*

Here's the issue, if WM had done the right thing, and hosted the mods themselves, you wouldn't be having a problem right now. Also if WOWInterface/Curse hadn't blocked WM, this site come to a standstill. Why because of all of the WM users leeching bandwidth from WOWInterface. Bandwidth that WOWInterface and Curse have to pay for.

Or to put it another way, if WOWInterface and Curse had to shut down, not only would the membres of their communites suffer, but you WM users would too, simply because you wouldn't be able to get your addon's. So do us a favorite please. Inside of moaning here and complaining about this site and Curse. How about you moan and complain to WM. Obviously they have a great user interface for updating mods. Now all they have to do is pay the costs for hosting those mods themselves and your problems would be solved.
Well as for it being buggy, it is. Head over to curse and look at how little (I've notice no) problems they are having. I'm sure just as many people are downloading from there. Every other click on this site results in a server issue.

As for bandwidth, trolling through multiple pages, loading multiple images to update every addons seems like just as much bandwidth as pulling from the database just like wowmatrix does.

On the topic of them making a deal. As I read deeper into more posts and such I found that they did indeed try to. My mistake in claiming they didn't, I stand corrected. Would have been nice if it worked out though.

Last edited by Lightor : 04-15-09 at 01:48 PM.
04-15-09, 01:51 PM   #372
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Well as for it being buggy, it is. Head over to curse and look at how little (I've notice no) problems they are having. I'm sure just as many people are downloading from there. Every other click on this site results in a server issue.

As for bandwidth, trolling through multiple pages, loading multiple images to update every addons seems like just as much bandwidth as pulling from the database just like wowmatrix does.
Actually I ended up setting up torrents for QuestHelper last night because everyone was erroring out when they tried to download from Curse. Add to that, I've been unable to log in all morning. Yeah, Curse is doing perfect.

The difference between a user manually browsing, and the traffic WoWMatrix generates, is most users are only pulling 1-2 pages at a time, distrubuting the load, vs WoWMatrix, which hits everything at the same time (and over and over agian, it's not very efficient). WoWMatrix prevents anyone (including thier users) from getting addons.
04-15-09, 02:01 PM   #373
pridekit
A Defias Bandit
Ya know what i find amazing is that wowmatrix was able to update my curse add ons but not my wowi ones.... now i thought that curse and wowi were in this together, sounds like someone backed out...... maybe curse realized that this was a RETARDED time to pull a stunt like that... and i can see that keeping wowmatrix users from connecting to wowi has really increased the stability of the servers, now you are getting double the traffic because people are having to go through 3 + pages so that they can find the mod they want, and now your servers still cant handle.... good job wowinterface good job.....
04-15-09, 02:02 PM   #374
Lightor
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
The difference between a user manually browsing, and the traffic WoWMatrix generates, is most users are only pulling 1-2 pages at a time, distrubuting the load, vs WoWMatrix, which hits everything at the same time (and over and over agian, it's not very efficient). WoWMatrix prevents anyone (including thier users) from getting addons.
I can see how hitting every addon at the same time could be a prob, but it searches, check and updates in under a minute, this doesn't seem like it would be using that much bandwidth at all.
04-15-09, 02:09 PM   #375
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

It's really amazing how many of the people defending WM only have 2 or 3 posts under their names. Could it be that the only reason they're here is that their precious updater no longer works and they are coming out of the woodwork to complain about it? Surely not!

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
04-15-09, 02:12 PM   #376
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Attention, WM users! After the patch, I updated a total of 12 addons.
I had 1 (one) single addon of my creation break yesterday, and I already had a fix pending waiting for the patch to drop and the load on the sites to subside. A small number of my other addons had fixes released a month ago, so diligent users would already have the fix before 3.1 came down.

I had two other addons break fatally, both of which have fixes out that I've not yet downloaded because I don't *need* the addons to be functional yet. And finally I had one addon that works but has a new bug, for which a fix was made yesterday.

Originally Posted by pridekit View Post
Ya know what i find amazing is that wowmatrix was able to update my curse add ons but not my wowi ones.... now i thought that curse and wowi were in this together, sounds like someone backed out......
There's other places that WM pulls from, you certain that the addons it updated aren't hosted elsewhere as well?
04-15-09, 02:14 PM   #377
Lightor
A Murloc Raider
It's really amazing how many of the people defending WM only have 2 or 3 posts under their names. Could it be that the only reason they're here is that their precious updater no longer works and they are coming out of the woodwork to complain about it? Surely not!
How does the number of posts have anything to do with.... anything lol. I've used wow interface and curse for a very long time. Just because I don't post replies to anything until now doesn't really effect what I'm posting now.

Also please take note I have been a registered member longer then you.
04-15-09, 02:24 PM   #378
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I just wonder how big of an issue all of this misdirected 'hate' towards WoWI and Curse would have, had they kept it all hush hush and secret that they blocked WowMatrix? There would have been no one to direct the negative feelings at except WowMatrix. I'm sure these guys would have been capable enough to pull this off, but they didn't. They announced that they blocked WoWMatrix from deeplinking their files and they listed the reasons why. What kind of communication have you received, as wowmatrix users, from wowmatrix? Have they given you a shoulder to cry on, a forum to give them feedback, any outlet at all to express your feelings, supportive or negative?

WowInterface and Curse did the right thing, protected their resources and was upfront and honest while doing it. They even gave WoWMatrix users an outlet to bash WoWI and Curse, on their own site.

I just don't get it.
04-15-09, 02:31 PM   #379
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

How does the number of posts have anything to do with.... anything lol. I've used wow interface and curse for a very long time. Just because I don't post replies to anything until now doesn't really effect what I'm posting now.

Also please take note I have been a registered member longer then you.
Ahem... That would be "than you" (petty, I know) and I wasn't necessarily talking about you. There are many one or two post wonders here that just joined yesterday. Odd, that. And as to the fact that you joined before me and just started posting now... Well, I'll just let that speak for itself.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
04-15-09, 02:40 PM   #380
Dissy
A Murloc Raider
Is there a mac version of the Wow Interface updater? I am unable to find a link to one.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users