06-13-10, 05:46 PM   #1
JokeyRhyme
A Murloc Raider

[linux] [solved] iptables blocks Minion from starting

I'm having trouble getting Minion to run at all. What puzzles me is I've been doing some Android development and all of that (including the emulator) worked perfectly without needing to modify my system's Java settings. I am assuming this means I have Java installed correctly.

I have it installed in /opt/mmoui which is owned by my current user, and I've tried disabling my iptables firewall too but that didn't have any effect.

I installed it using (disabling the splash was the only way to get it to work):
javaws -verbose -Xnosplash minion.jnlp

uname -a
Code:
Linux 2.6.32-gentoo-r7 #3
  SMP x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
java -version
Code:
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)
java -verbose -jar minion.jar
(see attached: mylog.txt)

Any ideas? I just started playing WoW again on a Linux-only machine (Gentoo) so it would be terrific if I could find a working substitute for Curse Client.

UPDATE: I disabled both iptables and ip6tables and Minion runs now.

UPDATE: My iptables firewall was blocking traffic on the localhost interface. I simply added an exception for it (iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT). Minion now launches properly and one of my other programs is popping up now too.
Attached Files
File Type: txt mylog.txt (102.6 KB, 942 views)

Last edited by JokeyRhyme : 06-19-10 at 08:16 PM. Reason: issue partially resolved
06-13-10, 11:27 PM   #2
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Could you please instead give me the log file Minion generates? The file you gave me appears to come from the Java VM itself.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
06-14-10, 03:20 PM   #3
JokeyRhyme
A Murloc Raider

If minion's log file is supposed to be in the same directory as the jar file, then there was no log file. I waited 5 minutes before terminating the Java process. Not sure what's so strange about my Java setup that it breaks so early. This likely isn't a problem with minion, just need some ideas on what to try next.
06-15-10, 03:43 PM   #4
JokeyRhyme
A Murloc Raider

Okay, feeling a bit silly. After reading some of the sticky posts, I went hunting for a .minion directory. Found a .Minion direction with a log file!

Anyhow, I took a look at it and came away feeling like this might be a 64-bit JVM problem, but I'm not really sure. Any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt (2.8 KB, 366 views)
06-15-10, 03:57 PM   #5
JokeyRhyme
A Murloc Raider

I tried disabling iptables before to no success, but I disabled ip6tables too this last test and Minion popped up immediately.

What exceptions do I need to add to my firewalls to allow Minion to run?
06-19-10, 11:31 AM   #6
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
This actually isn't related to a networking issue; the exception is misleading because it uses the loopback facility in your computer to handle this library. However, this should be impossible -- this library is explicitly disabled for Linux.

Are you sure you downloaded the Linux version? If so I will need to take a second look at exactly how it's handling this frame.

EDIT: Though your comment with regards to iptables is strange. I will have to take a look at that as well. Is this your entire log file?
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

/(bb|[^b]{2})/
06-19-10, 08:18 PM   #7
JokeyRhyme
A Murloc Raider

Smile

This is totally my fault. I hastily configured the firewall on this computer and forgot to add an ACCEPT statement for localhost traffic. As updated in the original post and thread title, I've done this and can now launch Minion.

Very sorry for wasting your time!
06-20-10, 11:12 PM   #8
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
That's an interesting problem. I'm actually somewhat glad you came across it (and managed to figure it out); it will add something for me to think about in future troubleshooting for this issue.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

/(bb|[^b]{2})/

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » [linux]unable to start MMOUI Minion after installation