Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
12-26-15, 03:03 AM   #1
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
World of Warcraft "Legion" and the future of Aloft

So, with the advent of "Legion" (tentatively assuming Summer 2016 delivery, presumably to correspond to the release of the Tauren-free/Worgen-free theatric feature film... I cry with sad that my favorite race(s) seem entirely absent!!!), I am giving some consideration to returning to WoW.

Assuming I decide in favor of this, I would probably be interested in resuming maintenance of Aloft (it seems like the thing to do). However, while it seems the people who expressed a desire to take over maintenance of Aloft in my absence have not been particularly active in that role, I am not sure to what extent this is due to simple loss of interest, versus Blizzard "borking" nameplates generally and rendering nameplate addons somewhat obsolete (or at least very difficult to do properly).

Are there any active maintainers of nameplate addons out there willing to talk me through the current state of things? Are there any UI customization "super-users" and/or general addon authors willing to render an opinion regarding whether something like Aloft might still be of interest/utility to the community?

Finally, I am thinking about a comprehensive "rewrite" of Aloft ("Aloft2"?), starting with stripped-down (with emphasis on performance) and passive "reskin" addon that grants the user relatively comprehensive control over nameplate placement/appearance (with minimal-to-none "replacement" of nameplate graphical elements), but adds no new functionality or the ability to override existing Blizzard default functionality... then proceeding incrementally from there into mana/threat/crowd control/target tracking, and other such "added" functionality.

Regardless, Aloft would not be resurrected in any form very soon (it would be months, possibly into Autumn 2016, before there was anything useful on offer).

Thoughts?
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » Legion Beta archived threads » World of Warcraft "Legion" and the future of Aloft