12-11-10, 06:33 PM   #1
leansoli
A Murloc Raider
Is this addon working at all?

So... where to begin with?

I spent all day long fiddling with the bars and options, and all I could get was a huge load of frustration. Don't get me wrong, I love this addon (with all that implies: telling ppl to give it a try and donating to support it).

On to the issues:

I created several profiles, and every single time, I got the same result: Profiles were saved incomplete. After each load, I got bars with missing buttons. No, not the classic "?" sign when you are missing the skill due to a spec change. I had no icon at all. And yes, I checked all 4 options when saving the profiles.

Dual Spec... Tried both systems (I believe the user has two ways to use dual spec functionality, but I may be wrong). 1st, I used the profile manager's check box with proper and distinct names to no avail: Had to manually load the proper profile once I switched specs.
Then I switched to the bar property 'DualSpec= on' approach: After switching spec I would get the sign "?" here and there. Again, manual load.

Another thing that happened to me is that somehow the addon would not let me drag and drop a macro to a given spot in a bar. I play a warrior so I have the classic macro that Intercepts/Charges/Intervenes a target depending on the stance and target I currently am and have. When I dragged this macro to the slot bound to '5', I would drop it in vain since Macaroon would not accept that macro in that slot. But if I moved that macro to say slot '16', Macaroon would be happy with it. This bar is 10 columns width, with 20 buttons, giving me a 2-row, 10-column bar.

Last thing that happened is that I tried to perform a ReloadUI. I thought this could help somehow to the spec switching thing. But all I got was no bars at all. Not a single one of all the ones I made. Exit/logged back in and everything was there, but this is something I won't do in raids.

At the moment, I am browsing for other addons that could do this, yet after all this negative experience, I still feel reluctant to let Macaroon go.

Any help will be really appreciated, and any questions will be answered.
Thanks!
12-12-10, 12:47 PM   #2
Dwargh
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Do you have any of the old Macaroon addons still installed and still loading on login.. and still got their saved vars? deleting all of that old stuff is pretty crucial to this new versions functionality.

Dualspec, yes there are 2 differeft ways of handling it.
The profile swap or one where the bars change within the same profile.
I am using the latter and have not had any problems what so ever.
You said "Again, Manual load." when using the bar specific one. which I do not understand as you do not have to load any profile when you use that option.

Since the dragging of a macro worked to one button it should work to any button as long as that button is an macro or actionID button. (the macro button will be automatically made into an actionID button for Blizzard macros.)
However if the button have been given a PetID then it is not possible to drag any spell to that button. Make sure that's not what have happened here. And for even better functionality I'd really say go with a Macaroon macro, just copy paste the macro from your blizzard one into the Macaroon macro editor for that button.

The reload matter I am not sure of what caused it but perhaps it had something to do with the profiles malfunction.
Many have stated that in Macaroon 40000.1.11 the profile swap worked fine and thus have reverted to that version. It's a little hassle and not a fix and really a bad workaround, as you will miss some of the other bug fixes Maul made to Macaroon. But if you can't wait...
12-12-10, 02:38 PM   #3
leansoli
A Murloc Raider
Thanks for taking the time to reply, mate!

I might have an old version among my installation files. I quit wow on January and returned to play some of Cata, so I used an application to keep my addons up to date, developed by another well known addon site. I just checked it out, and I realized that it did not update all the Macaroon modules. Namely, Xtras, Profiles and Bags & Menu were not updated.

About the "Again, Manual load." thing is because it tried to perform the dual-spec bar-load upon spec change, but I didn't get what I saved in the profile it should have loaded, thus I did the manual load and I got the layout I saved.

I am not sure what caused or why I got that strange behavior with the macro thing. I will try Macaroon Macro module for sure. I am sure the bar was a common bar though, with no special flags or properties set.

I'll make sure every single module is up to date, and will try to set a layout again. If this doesn't work, I'll revert Macaroon to the version you mention.

Thanks for your feedback!
12-12-10, 04:28 PM   #4
Dwargh
A Theradrim Guardian

Make sure the only Macaroon modules you have installed, and loading are some or all of the following:

Macaroon! (now also including Extensions)
Macaroon: Alerts (Previously Loot)
Macaroon: Status Bars (previously XP, and CB)
Macaroon: Xtras
Macaroon: Spell & macro binder
Macaroon: Totembar (previously MultiCast)

If any old versions are loaded those may interfere with Macaroon 4.x
12-13-10, 05:32 AM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

Keep in mind also that if you load a profile and make any changes to your setup, your changes are NOT automatically saved back to the profile the way they are in every other addon I've ever used that supports profiles. You have to go back in and save the current settings to the profile. I can't count how many times I've changed something, forgotten to save it, and then switched specs only to realize that I'd just lost my changes.

Also make sure that, when you save a profile, you're checking ALL of the checkboxes underneath the Save/Load/Delete buttons.

Neither of these are very intuitive, so having overlooked one of them may be the cause of your profile-loading problem. I've never experienced anything like the other problems you describe, though, so I can't offer any suggestions there.
12-15-10, 05:55 PM   #6
leansoli
A Murloc Raider
Hey,

I made sure all the versions matched, and I can now confirm that works pretty damn good.

Many thanks for your help, and, perhaps, a constructive criticism: Why, using the addon manager developed by another addon site, made my versions screw up?

Is there anything you can do to control that all the modules that are downloaded belong to the same release?

Again, thanks for your help!
12-15-10, 05:58 PM   #7
leansoli
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Keep in mind also that if you load a profile and make any changes to your setup, your changes are NOT automatically saved back to the profile the way they are in every other addon I've ever used that supports profiles. You have to go back in and save the current settings to the profile. I can't count how many times I've changed something, forgotten to save it, and then switched specs only to realize that I'd just lost my changes.

Also make sure that, when you save a profile, you're checking ALL of the checkboxes underneath the Save/Load/Delete buttons.

Neither of these are very intuitive, so having overlooked one of them may be the cause of your profile-loading problem. I've never experienced anything like the other problems you describe, though, so I can't offer any suggestions there.
Relax, when I change Macaroon (4 changes since I started using it), I make BIG changes so not saving them is not an option.

As to the checkboxes, I learned to check them all the hard way a few releases ago xD

Thanks for your input anyway!
12-16-10, 07:56 AM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by leansoli View Post
Why, using the addon manager developed by another addon site, made my versions screw up?
I assume you're talking about the Curse Client, in which case there's nothing that can be done about it, as addon authors have absolutely zero control over its behavior. If you find it's frequently misbehaving with a particular addon, just tell it to ignore that addon, and continue downloading updates yourself.
12-22-10, 06:39 PM   #9
Mordreade
A Murloc Raider

Sounds more like he is talking about WoWMatrix, wich if he is, DOOD!!! stop using that crap, it don't get you up to date updates.
The Curse downloader works perfectly, especially since Maul keeps Mac updated there as well as here.
I wont make this an updater flame war, but Minion does not work right, and they don't seem to even try to fix it. Curse has the stupid ads, but I can live with them because the updater works. Sadly, neither site will work with each other to make their customers happy, silly childish corporate crap.
12-22-10, 07:18 PM   #10
anseloth
Coding Archmage

i know this is more than a little off topic, but i have been looking for a LONG time for an new, better updater for WoW addons.

i was hoping for one that works for WoWInterface.com and curse.com as effectively as the curse client works for (sadly, only) curse.com

do you know of any that work that well?

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Ion Engines, Engage! » Is this addon working at all?