12-21-09, 02:12 AM   #1
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Another scam email.

Got an email today that claimed i was reported for trying to sell my account which i obviously haven't. Not to mention i don't have my account linked to that address. The e-mail asks you to provide what essentially is all the information needed to take over your account including asking for cd keys, secret question and answer and just about everything else.

In short blizzard would not ask for this information especially in this manner. If you believe your account was reported contact blizzard directly through their official website. Never NEVER send this information through email.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
12-21-09, 05:46 AM   #2
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

Ive been getting them to.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
12-21-09, 06:05 AM   #3
Jooze
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Two useful things to remember:

1) Blizzard bans first and asks questions later.
2) They will NEVER ask for your password.
12-21-09, 05:17 PM   #4
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I gave them MidgetMage's info.

I have all email with the keywords *wow*, *blizzard*, *gold*, and *battle* filtered as spam.. I never see these emails.
12-22-09, 03:51 AM   #5
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I just received this email. It may explain some things.

I take security very seriously here at WarcraftRealms.com, but I will be the first to admit that I am no security expert. This site grew out of a hobby and has been a labor of love since WoW was in beta.

Due to the popularity and nature of the site, I am constantly under attack by hackers. One can only assume that these hackers wish to gather information pertaining to users' WoW accounts in an effort to hack, and use those WoW accounts for nefarious reasons (gold selling, character selling, etc).

While I do everything I can and know to do, a couple of months ago, the site was compromised and a breach did occur. The extent of the breach was not known at the time, but I have reason to believe that, at the least, the hacker(s) made off with the email addresses contained in my database.

The hole used was found and sealed. Hopefully there are not any others that have not been found at this time.

Those email addresses are now being targeted for various Phishing schemes, particularly for WoW account phishing scams. These scams typically attempt to get you to visit their site and enter your WoW account credentials.

Please always be very cautious when entering your information. Never click links in emails, but instead type the url of the site you wish to visit into the address bar of your browser.

As a further precaution, I urge all of you to get a Blizzard Authenticator which will with almost complete certainty protect your account from hackers.

Finally, please never use your WoW account name or password as your username or password to any online site.

Again, my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience anyone might have suffered due to this intrusion.

Always be safe,

Rollie
www DOT warcraftrealms DOT com
12-22-09, 06:42 AM   #6
RosyBijou
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
authenticator

I too received this email. It prompted me to change my password and explore the authenticator. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to actually get the authenticator up and running. I was under the impression that it cost money to use this service.

If you have an iphone or ipod that can download apps, you can obtain Blizzard's free app from the iTunes store that allows you to use the authenticator feature free of charge! Set up took all of 5 minutes and worked smoothly from the get-go!

Folks should be aware that the minimal fee for the authenticator is only for the unit-- those fortunate enough to have access to the use of iphone/ipod apps can authenticate their accounts without charge! That cute little corehound pup waiting for me on log-in was a sweet little surprise! (Having utilized this process without spending any money, I certainly didn't expect to find the promotional pup...)

Pretty cool in my book!
12-22-09, 09:53 AM   #7
xeross
An Aku'mai Servant

@Rosy: Hmm sounds a little off-topic

I've never ever received a WoW spam/phishing mail, just be careful and remember blizzard doesn't ask for things like passwords, etc.
12-22-09, 06:55 PM   #8
RosyBijou
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by xeross View Post
@Rosy: Hmm sounds a little off-topic

I've never ever received a WoW spam/phishing mail, just be careful and remember blizzard doesn't ask for things like passwords, etc.
Lol-- you're right... Probably should've looked for a more suitable thread... . From the sound of the original poster tho, I'm pretty sure that I received the same email....

It did freak me out, though, to receive this e-mail, just the thought that someone had the email that is linked to my account-- my initial gut reaction was panic, that someone might just be trying to get into my account... my next step was trying to be sure to secure the account so if I had fallen victim to a key logger, that at least I know that WoW was secure... And I was impressed that the authenticator setup was so easy to do!

The rest of the day was spent buttoning up my other password sites-- yeah, I over-reacted... and then stepped up on my authenticator soapbox here...

Last edited by RosyBijou : 12-22-09 at 07:45 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Another scam email.