08-12-10, 08:42 AM   #1061
eThuz
TeamBPS

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
My nets capped for the next couple day~uh oh, it's Friday the 13th~s, so really my vast collection of cartoons is all I got... Or, I can spend 15 minutes trying to load a simple webpage
08-12-10, 01:21 PM   #1062
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Ferous View Post
Comcast has one? Really?
COmcast has always had a 'flexible' cap. What that meant was that you had no fixed number. When I still had a home connection they called me up one month and said I'd transferred 'too much' the last month and if I did it again they would cancel my service.

Fine, How much is too much?

We can't tell you that.

So how do I know if I download too much?

We can't tell you that.

How do you determine what is too much then?

We can't tell you that.

As it turns out, it is something based on where you rank in their percentages of other downloaders. If your transfers are in the top 0.5% or something, they classify that as 'too much.'

I got rid of my comcast home connection then. Good thing, since in an average month I can easily transfer 600GB (My home machines are backups for my remote servers, so they are transferring full backups all the time).
08-12-10, 01:25 PM   #1063
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by akgis View Post
Any news about the next batch? Its been 20days
The last patch was the new launcher and the removal of the bug-reporting. Oh, and I think they stripped all the pets from the hunters. THat was released on
04 Aug 10, which is a lot less than 20 days ago.
08-12-10, 01:25 PM   #1064
Ocu
A Kobold Labourer
Batch of keys, not patch.
08-12-10, 01:30 PM   #1065
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Ocu View Post
Doh! Reading skills for the lose.
08-12-10, 01:38 PM   #1066
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Ocu View Post
Originally Posted by ezarra View Post
Doh! Reading skills for the lose.
Still you rather have things stable after a very system changing patch then send out a new batch of keys soon after .
08-12-10, 02:32 PM   #1067
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Take my word, if you guys get your keys before they get the new launcher a little more stable you will not be happy campers.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
08-12-10, 02:40 PM   #1068
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
Take my word, if you guys get your keys before they get the new launcher a little more stable you will not be happy campers.
My point exactly .
08-12-10, 02:40 PM   #1069
Talryn
A Fallenroot Satyr

Let's be honest. People without the keys would like to be in the beta. Having a key is better than not having a key. I think all of us not in the beta would be happier having a key even if we couldn't play it right away. There's no guarantee that you'll get into the beta if you don't currently have a key since Blizzard could stop giving keys for add-on authors at any time.
08-12-10, 06:22 PM   #1070
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by ezarra View Post
COmcast has always had a 'flexible' cap. What that meant was that you had no fixed number. When I still had a home connection they called me up one month and said I'd transferred 'too much' the last month and if I did it again they would cancel my service.

Fine, How much is too much?

We can't tell you that.

So how do I know if I download too much?

We can't tell you that.

How do you determine what is too much then?

We can't tell you that.

As it turns out, it is something based on where you rank in their percentages of other downloaders. If your transfers are in the top 0.5% or something, they classify that as 'too much.'

I got rid of my comcast home connection then. Good thing, since in an average month I can easily transfer 600GB (My home machines are backups for my remote servers, so they are transferring full backups all the time).
That scenerio was many many years ago .. I got the call once to but they actually told me my usage and where I neeed to be ...

Back then their cap was flexible, as you said, it was based on what you areas average usage was ...

That has all since changed as they now have a set limit.

Also runnning any kind of server is against the Comcast rules last time I heard. But that could have changed too for all I know. It was at one time against your contract to have a home network at one time too. If they found you had a home network they charged you more money a month.

Give it time and the 250 will be raised. It will have to be. With faster speeds as well as more and more HD online content sucking up bandwith either through the Comcast website or alternate sources (like Hulu) more and more people are using higher amounts of bandwith. There are so many things people are streaming now that the 250 limit will not be nearly enough.

I'm honestly surprised that there even is a limit. They claim that such a small percentage of people ever even come close to the limit .. why have it. One less thing you have to pay someone to look at when the little "someone went over the 250 limit" light blinks.
08-13-10, 03:09 AM   #1071
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
That scenerio was many many years ago .. I got the call once to but they actually told me my usage and where I neeed to be ...

Back then their cap was flexible, as you said, it was based on what you areas average usage was ...

That has all since changed as they now have a set limit.

Also runnning any kind of server is against the Comcast rules last time I heard. But that could have changed too for all I know. It was at one time against your contract to have a home network at one time too. If they found you had a home network they charged you more money a month.

Give it time and the 250 will be raised. It will have to be. With faster speeds as well as more and more HD online content sucking up bandwith either through the Comcast website or alternate sources (like Hulu) more and more people are using higher amounts of bandwith. There are so many things people are streaming now that the 250 limit will not be nearly enough.

I'm honestly surprised that there even is a limit. They claim that such a small percentage of people ever even come close to the limit .. why have it. One less thing you have to pay someone to look at when the little "someone went over the 250 limit" light blinks.
My question is - Who downloads more than 250GB? lol
08-13-10, 03:22 AM   #1072
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant

With Spotify and movie streaming services it can go fast .

EDIT: This is a list of biggest users from a belgium ISP: http://userbase.be/nieuws/telecom/36...te-downloaders look at the "Totaal volume" column.

Last edited by WyriHaximus : 08-13-10 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Edded the Telenet link
08-13-10, 05:30 AM   #1073
Nefrirr
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Talryn View Post
Let's be honest. People without the keys would like to be in the beta. Having a key is better than not having a key. I think all of us not in the beta would be happier having a key even if we couldn't play it right away. There's no guarantee that you'll get into the beta if you don't currently have a key since Blizzard could stop giving keys for add-on authors at any time.
While I don't think that Blizzard will stop giving out keys, yet, I very well understand and partially share that fear and the anticipation for the next batch of keys. Having no ETA makes waiting always worse - the best way is to try and forget about it. The sweet surprise when the key is in the mail will be even more triumphant if you manage to focus on other things.

No matter what, there is no need for any hostility between those having a key or organising the give-away and those waiting, as long as people keep it civil. Both begging or outright raging at the staff is just sad.

Also, I don't think that the beta folks want to talk down to us "outcasts" by mentioning the current technical issues - on the contrary, this is probably meant to comfort us.
08-13-10, 10:19 AM   #1074
Talryn
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Nefrirr View Post
While I don't think that Blizzard will stop giving out keys, yet, I very well understand and partially share that fear and the anticipation for the next batch of keys. Having no ETA makes waiting always worse - the best way is to try and forget about it. The sweet surprise when the key is in the mail will be even more triumphant if you manage to focus on other things.

No matter what, there is no need for any hostility between those having a key or organising the give-away and those waiting, as long as people keep it civil. Both begging or outright raging at the staff is just sad.

Also, I don't think that the beta folks want to talk down to us "outcasts" by mentioning the current technical issues - on the contrary, this is probably meant to comfort us.
I'm just trying to push the middle ground. People waiting are, of course, going to be excited and anticipating the key. A couple of people were completely unreasonable by attacking the staff but most people are nice and relatively patient.

Technical issues are, after all, part of the beta experience. I know I don't mind such things. Anyone doing software development is probably used to it though. :-)
08-13-10, 10:52 AM   #1075
Nefrirr
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Talryn View Post
I'm just trying to push the middle ground. People waiting are, of course, going to be excited and anticipating the key. A couple of people were completely unreasonable by attacking the staff but most people are nice and relatively patient.
That's exactly what I was trying to express. Just so there are no misunderstandings because of my sometimes unintentionally clumsy wording (after all, I'm German and thus no native speaker): I didn't actually count you as one of the troublemakers.

On the contrary, I just wanted to say that it would be a pity if people who are asking nicely (but are maybe a bit uninformed) would suffer because some jerks went on a conversational killing spree which is now instantly associated with ETA-questions by everyone following this majestic 2^10+x page thread since the early dawning of the glorious age of the beta give-away.
08-13-10, 11:34 AM   #1076
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I do. Consistently. My monthly transfers average between 300GB and 650GB a month, every month.

Now, more than half of that is the backups of my remote servers, but the rest is hulu and youtube and other streaming HD video sources.

Oh, and downloading WoW beta four times (twice on the wintendo, twice on the Mac) ate up 50GB or so…
08-13-10, 03:20 PM   #1077
Talryn
A Fallenroot Satyr

Downloading TV shows and movies is becoming very popular. If you're renting movies or especially if you're watching TV shows regularly then I'm sure you can hit that limit. It depends on the quality but you could be downloading 1G+ for each movie or TV show.
08-13-10, 05:47 PM   #1078
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
yeah... I stream movies constantly in addition to youtube and such and I still don't cap it :P I also download addons like crazy to look at the lua in addition to... other things... Arrrrr......
08-13-10, 05:59 PM   #1079
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

"Other things".... Pretty sure I don't wanna know...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
08-13-10, 06:13 PM   #1080
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant

yeah... I stream movies constantly in addition to youtube and such and I still don't cap it :P I also download addons like crazy to look at the lua in addition to... other things... Arrrrr......
Well or be a webdev and have to push complete websites from time to time .
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
"Other things".... Pretty sure I don't wanna know...
QFT

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Massive AddOn Author Cataclysm Beta Key Give-Away!