11-18-09, 12:41 PM   #1
Aquentvp
A Murloc Raider
SPAM from "carbonite quest: [crb]"

I was researching ways of improving lag in 25-man raids, and heard about an addon called AddonSpamFu.

I installed it, and found that I was receiving a large number of messages with the label "carbonite quest: [crb]," even though I don't currently have Carbonite installed.

Is there any way to block, deactivate, or otherwise prevent these messages from being received?

I tried to locate information about this, but haven't really found any.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

11-23-09, 06:16 AM   #2
gmillerd
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
You antispam program is checking all the channels, not just /general /trade. The Carbonite channels are shared through the Social options (share with zone / guild / friends). If you discontinue using those options you will not receive 'spam' from those channels.

However your antispam program is to blame for this.

12-04-09, 08:09 AM   #3
deveyus
A Defias Bandit
Actually, he said he didn't have carbonite installed, so there are no such options to turn off.

Those messages are on the Addons communication channel, and it comes from other people who have you on friends, in guild, and in party, having carbonite, they're sending out data on the addons channel to anyone that meets those criteria.

If you don't have carbonite installed ignore them, that's the way your computer handles data sent to it, and is the standard way for most communications systems. Without carbonite or something like carbonite attempting to decipher them, you won't -do- anything with those messages, and they'll just pass on by.

(Bear in mind, a simple piece of text like that would at most be a couple hundred bytes, not even kilobytes, just bytes, it's a insignificant amount of data.)

12-08-09, 07:11 AM   #4
aastarius
An Aku'mai Servant

Except in a 25 man raid it becomes a LOT of data and can indeed become so bad as to cause other people to D/C. This was happening in our raids and after investigating the decision was taken to make all raiders disable addons such as Questhelper, Carbonite, Gearscore, Recount (sync option enabled), etc. Result; we have a MT that is able to stay online which is handy during an encounter

because some of these addons generate so much spam the raiders have to /ignore others online in the guild who are not part of the raid but are running the addons. The antispam program does nothing more than keep a running total of both the number of messages and size of data received from each person and is therefore NOT to blame.

Try running it, the results can be ... scary!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » SPAM from "carbonite quest: [crb]"