09-24-16, 02:19 AM   #1
Maelynn
A Fallenroot Satyr

a teeny tweak in DagAssist

Dear people who are .lua savvier than I am,

as with all expansions, Legion caused a few blimps in existing addons. Most of these are updated by their respective authors to make sure they still work well in the game, but some have been abandoned over time. As long as they still work fine, that's okay. DagAssist is one of the latter kind of addons, which still works the way it should without throwing any error hissy fits. However, there's been 1 minor thing since Legion that makes it a tad difficult to use this addon.

You see, as soon as I hit the button to pull up the menu, everything else covers it. Inventory, even the quest tracker. In other words, I can barely see the things I listed in the menu. Which makes it pretty hard to pick something I need.

Seeing as how the original author hasn't been on this website in 2 years (last time on Curse was June), and I barely know enough of .lua to be able to make the occasional tweak suggested by other people, I was wondering if someone here would be able to fix this for me. I might go out on a limb here when I assume that it's just a minor tweak, a simple adjusting of a line in the code to force the addon to the foreground when it's pulled up... is it actually this simple? I really hope so.

If this is the case, would anyone please be so kind to tell me what I need to change in order to fix this? I'd be most grateful, because I'm still loving the addon and its simplicity/minimalism.
09-24-16, 02:44 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Probably:
Code:
DagAssis*****nu = CreateFrame("Frame", "DA_Menu", btnMinimap, "SecureHandlerBaseTemplate, DA_MenuContainer");
DagAssis*****nu:SetFrameStrata("TOOLTIP") -- add this line
DagAssis*****nu:SetClampedToScreen(true)
09-24-16, 02:56 AM   #3
Maelynn
A Fallenroot Satyr

Wow, thanks for the fast reply!

Just tested it, but unfortunately it doesn't work. I tried it both with and without semicolon at the end of the line, because I thought it required one just like the other lines.

Perhaps something needs to be altered in the config.lua file instead? I saw something about clamped and toplevel there.
09-24-16, 04:13 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Semicolons are not required in Lua, and should (IMO) generally be omitted because they're just useless visual clutter. If you're writing code with such ambiguous syntax that you need semicolons to clarify it, the semicolons are the least of your problems.

Try adding this in place of the line suggested in my last post:

Code:
DagAssis*****nu:HookScript("OnShow", function(self)
    self:SetFrameStrata("TOOLTIP") -- you can also try HIGH, DIALOG, or FULLSCREEN
    self:SetToplevel(true)
end)
This will just override the strata/toplevel properties every time the frame is shown, so it shouldn't matter what any other config code is doing.
09-27-16, 02:49 PM   #5
Maelynn
A Fallenroot Satyr

No luck either. I tried all words you suggested as alternatives, but the dropdown menu just keeps hiding behind everything else.
09-27-16, 05:02 PM   #6
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Along with the original code from Phanx, change:

Code:
DagAssist.MinimapButton = CreateFrame("Button", "DA_Minimap", Minimap, "SecureHandlerClickTemplate, DA_MinimapButton")
to:
Code:
DagAssist.MinimapButton = CreateFrame("Button", "DA_Minimap", UIParent, "SecureHandlerClickTemplate, DA_MinimapButton")
09-29-16, 10:29 AM   #7
Maelynn
A Fallenroot Satyr

Yes, that combo did the trick! Whoo!

Thank you both very much for taking the time to look into this. I'm very happy that I can keep using this addon, as I've grown too used to it to willingly give it up. ^^

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » a teeny tweak in DagAssist