04-21-10, 03:11 PM   #1
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

Thumbs down wow installer

first of all, i know this isnt the best place for help, but i thought i would give it a shot here. ive tried contacting blizzard and go to their forums, but to come up empty handed. so far i will keep this up to date incase other people have this problem and this might help others.
throughout you will see different screenshots from downloading vanilla > bc> wotlk. there in no order.

specs:
Operating System
MS Windows 7 64-bit
CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Windsor 90nm Technology
RAM
6.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 376MHz 5-5-5-12
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-E (Socket AM2 )
Graphics
19" @ 1280x1024 SOYO
768MB GeForce 9600 GSO (Undefined)
Hard Drives
244.20GB Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00GVC0 ATA Device (IDE)
Audio
SB Audigy
SS:

old
i just reformatted, and i need to reinstall wow. only problem is im getting this error.

ive tried going to the wow forums, but they said "they will look into it"

anyone else been through this?

(im using the wow installer)

Last edited by mankeluvsit : 04-25-10 at 07:35 PM.

04-21-10, 03:14 PM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
I'm not sure, I assume you tried ejecting the CD seeing if theres any dirt or scratches and putting it back in?

04-21-10, 03:15 PM   #3
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

im using the wow installer, i have no cds....

04-21-10, 03:17 PM   #4
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by mankeluvsit View Post
im using the wow installer, i have no cds....
Oh sorry, I'm not sure. Hope some one else has some ideas for you.

04-21-10, 04:01 PM   #5
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Hmmm... I just used the download installer last week with no problems (other than the almost 24 hours it took to dl the program and patches). It's definitely wierd for it to be looking for a cd when it's in download mode. Wish I could help.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

04-21-10, 05:19 PM   #6
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

i started getting alot more errors.

liek tomb could be read ect ect.

i think my hdd is going out ]: I HAVE A RAID TONIGHT NOOOOO

04-22-10, 12:44 AM   #7
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

this is frustrating as f**k

04-22-10, 11:34 AM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You said you just formatted... I realize you aren't using the CD, but be sure you have updated the firmware to your CD/DVD player. I cannot say for certain that this is the issue, but it's part of the troubleshooting process to eliminate all other possibilities.

04-22-10, 03:31 PM   #9
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
I'm assuming you've searched the tech support forums on blizzard? Called their tech support phone?

Also, before reformatting, best off to just copy your wow folder off to an external hard drive or somesuch - then to reinstall, just copy it back

Marth

04-22-10, 04:33 PM   #10
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

Thumbs down

updated everything, ran hdd test. ect ect..

i get at least 16 different errors each time, i just didnt screenshot them.

deleting temp files ect ect. contated tech support, checked forums and even posted there.

04-22-10, 11:17 PM   #11
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

i did some really hard thinking and remembered this happened to me with BC.

it was my ram, i guess when i oc'd it and reset it to default i messed something up. happy as can be its almost done [:

(ugh usually at this time its always slowwww)

04-23-10, 12:33 AM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

w00t, glad yer almost there!!

04-25-10, 02:54 PM   #13
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

again, my files got corrupted.
so im guessing its my RAM and hdd.

same problems came up ]:

04-25-10, 05:20 PM   #14
Sekrin
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
It might not be your machine - there has recently been a known issue with the downloaded EU installer - you can find more details on the EU Teach Support Forums: http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....79797981&sid=1

04-25-10, 05:41 PM   #15
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

ill read that too, but as you can see, im going to have to replace my ram ]:

*also ran memtestx86 and over 20k errors.
bye bye 6 gigs of ram /:
idk why i said 12 :P i mean 6

Last edited by mankeluvsit : 04-25-10 at 07:27 PM.

04-25-10, 10:08 PM   #16
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
I would test each stick individually ... you may be able to salvage some and just replace a few sticks.

Also once you get WoW installed burn the WoW folder to a DVD.

This way when you want to re-install WoW all you need to do is copy the CD to your HDD. There is no need to actually "install" WoW. WoW will run just fine doing this.

Good luck.

Is there anyone that you know that has WoW that lives near you that would allow you to burn their WoW folder?? Be a heck of alot faster than downloading 7.5 gb of data from Blizzard.

04-25-10, 11:42 PM   #17
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I agree. Test each stick individually.

When I was having Error 134's, that's how I tested mine. Luckily I only had to replace one stick. It's a pain in the ass to run a 6 to 8 hour test (or until you hit errors) for each stick, but well worth the time.

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post

Is there anyone that you know that has WoW that lives near you that would allow you to burn their WoW folder?? Be a heck of alot faster than downloading 7.5 gb of data from Blizzard.
Shouldn't take that long really. 7.5 gigs of data can be downloaded in less than 30 min. Once he gets new ram, after download from start to finish it's less than a 2 hour install (that includes patches). Not really all that long concidering time can fly by fast if you watch a really good movie during install hehe.

mankeluvsit,
Before you get ready to install the game again, be sure to prepare your system..... defrag, reboot, run chkdsk (from command prompt chkdsk C:/r ) if you haven't already.

Last edited by Petrah : 04-25-10 at 11:55 PM.

04-25-10, 11:48 PM   #18
xandora
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

How many sticks of RAM do you have? They could be paired/slotted incorrectly if there's more than 1.

04-26-10, 09:29 AM   #19
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
I would test each stick individually ... you may be able to salvage some and just replace a few sticks.

Also once you get WoW installed burn the WoW folder to a DVD.

This way when you want to re-install WoW all you need to do is copy the CD to your HDD. There is no need to actually "install" WoW. WoW will run just fine doing this.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
I agree. Test each stick individually.

When I was having Error 134's, that's how I tested mine. Luckily I only had to replace one stick. It's a pain in the ass to run a 6 to 8 hour test (or until you hit errors) for each stick, but well worth the time.

Shouldn't take that long really. 7.5 gigs of data can be downloaded in less than 30 min. Once he gets new ram, after download from start to finish it's less than a 2 hour install (that includes patches). Not really all that long concidering time can fly by fast if you watch a really good movie during install hehe.

mankeluvsit,
Before you get ready to install the game again, be sure to prepare your system..... defrag, reboot, run chkdsk (from command prompt chkdsk C:/r ) if you haven't already.
Originally Posted by xandora View Post
How many sticks of RAM do you have? They could be paired/slotted incorrectly if there's more than 1.
yeah, none of my irl friends play wow so this is out of the question, ill test each stick when i get off work. i dont mind downloading it cause it takes the most 2-3 hours, not much a big deal (i have patch backups on my external)
ill let you guys know whats up

04-26-10, 12:15 PM   #20
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by mankeluvsit View Post
yeah, none of my irl friends play wow so this is out of the question, ill test each stick when i get off work. i dont mind downloading it cause it takes the most 2-3 hours, not much a big deal (i have patch backups on my external)
ill let you guys know whats up
Once you get WoW patched up and if you have space on your external, you can copy the entire WoW folder over the external. Then if you replace the HD or otherwise have to reinstall, you can just copy your archived (and fully patched) WoW install over to its new home. It will save you a ton of time and maybe some money (aka not having to buy a fresh bottle of aspirin). WoW is rather "portable" in that everything is contained in its folder (unless you foolishly install WoW in Program Files on a Vista/7 machine). This means you don't have archive patches.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » wow installer