Quantcast
Is Carbonite Dead or in a Coma? - WoWInterface
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
08-20-11, 02:50 PM   #1
Palladia
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
 
Palladia's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 57
Is Carbonite Dead or in a Coma?

Is anyone else worried about the fact that the last time Verttex posted in Carbonite forums was on 7/5 and the last time CarboniteAddon posted was 7/15?
 
08-20-11, 04:10 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
jeffy162's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,357
Originally Posted by Palladia View Post
Is anyone else worried about the fact that the last time Verttex posted in Carbonite forums was on 7/5 and the last time CarboniteAddon posted was 7/15?
Of the two (that I am aware of) developers left of the original Carbonite team, faatal (aka: carboniteaddon) and Haavok, the last post I believe was on 8/11/2011 by Haavok. No offense meant towards Verttex, but he's a Carbonite user that also posts here occasionally to help everyone with their Carbonite problems.

I wouldn't go "nailing the lid on the coffin" just yet. "Real Life" has a way of kicking the stuffing out of many addon authors, and those two guys seem to be getting hammered lately.

Updates to Carbonite will, I am sure, come in the same fashion as always: When there is time for them to update it. So, worried? About as much as I am that the sun is going to explode in my lifetime.
__________________
Ahhhh, the vagueries of the aging mind. Wait.... What was I saying?


Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 08-20-11 at 04:18 PM.
 
08-20-11, 05:42 PM   #3
Haavok
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
 
Haavok's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 336
Originally Posted by Palladia View Post
Is anyone else worried about the fact that the last time Verttex posted in Carbonite forums was on 7/5 and the last time CarboniteAddon posted was 7/15?
There has only ever been two of us developing Carbonite: Me & CarboniteAddon. We try to keep it updated and working and we're actually going to be putting out a new release fairly soon with data for Firelands quests and a few other fixes. Unfortunately neither of us have time to actively patrol the forums but we do pop up from time to time
__________________
-Haavok
 
08-20-11, 06:12 PM   #4
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 960
You guys are doing a great job, Haavok. Keep doing it!
 
08-20-11, 06:58 PM   #5
Verttex
Super Monkey
 
Verttex's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 297
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Of the two (that I am aware of) developers left of the original Carbonite team, faatal (aka: carboniteaddon) and Haavok, the last post I believe was on 8/11/2011 by Haavok. No offense meant towards Verttex, but he's a Carbonite user that also posts here occasionally to help everyone with their Carbonite problems.

I wouldn't go "nailing the lid on the coffin" just yet. "Real Life" has a way of kicking the stuffing out of many addon authors, and those two guys seem to be getting hammered lately.

Updates to Carbonite will, I am sure, come in the same fashion as always: When there is time for them to update it. So, worried? About as much as I am that the sun is going to explode in my lifetime.
Originally Posted by Haavok View Post
There has only ever been two of us developing Carbonite: Me & CarboniteAddon. We try to keep it updated and working and we're actually going to be putting out a new release fairly soon with data for Firelands quests and a few other fixes. Unfortunately neither of us have time to actively patrol the forums but we do pop up from time to time
Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
You guys are doing a great job, Haavok. Keep doing it!
Yup, me is in no way in relation to the making of the Carbonite addon. Sorry for the confusion.
__________________
 
08-20-11, 07:25 PM   #6
Palladia
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
 
Palladia's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 57
Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the correction.

I appreciate the hard work and how RL interferes. I don't mind waiting as long as I know there's something to wait for. The quick responses give me hope!
 
08-29-11, 07:11 PM   #7
gOOvER
A Theradrim Guardian
 
gOOvER's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by Haavok View Post
There has only ever been two of us developing Carbonite: Me & CarboniteAddon. We try to keep it updated and working and we're actually going to be putting out a new release fairly soon with data for Firelands quests and a few other fixes. Unfortunately neither of us have time to actively patrol the forums but we do pop up from time to time
Then release Carbonite as GPL and maybe others Community Members will help to fix Bugs and Releases will come more often.

Last edited by gOOvER : 08-29-11 at 07:15 PM.
 
09-02-11, 05:29 AM   #8
gOOvER
A Theradrim Guardian
 
gOOvER's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by gOOvER View Post
Then release Carbonite as GPL and maybe others Community Members will help to fix Bugs and Releases will come more often.
Hmm No Awnser?? But it would be nice. Release Carbonite as GPL or CC. !!!!!
 
09-02-11, 10:04 AM   #9
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 960
I think Haavok and Faatal should continue to maintain Carbonite. If they want to hold close the code, that's their right.
 
09-02-11, 01:13 PM   #10
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
carboniteaddon's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,245
We have no plans to open up our code, but if we stopped working on it, then we would consider it.
__________________
faatal
 
 

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Is Carbonite Dead or in a Coma?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off