Quantcast
Rythal!! Read this... - Page 8 - WoWInterface
Thread Tools Display Modes
09-18-12, 05:21 PM   #141
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,458
Originally Posted by dozz View Post
I wonder 'bout language support. 'cause Carbonite didn't work @ russian realms for a long time and i'd be really glad if your addon would be available there
Right from the start I am using ace's localization libraries, so yes it will work whenever I reach that point.
  Reply With Quote
09-18-12, 06:32 PM   #142
txprogrammer
A Defias Bandit
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Noridin View Post
I think you should call it Ryonite.
This name gets my vote.

I am also a programmer (PHP mostly). Never done addon stuff, but I would be happy to donate my time if needed.
  Reply With Quote
09-18-12, 07:58 PM   #143
CaliPatriot
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Thumbs up My vote

First let me say that I don't post in forums, but I love carbonite and when WoW came out with the latest patch to prepare for MoP I was lost with out it. I kept checking the web site for a fix to no avail. I wondered if I could find an answer on the forums so I came a lookin. What I found was many people in the same boat as I was in. After spending an afternoon reading post, because I really had not been playing due to no carbonite, I found someone that had fixed the addon, I was one happy camper!!!! I d/l the fix and away I went ahhh life was good again. I was so happy that Rythal had fixed carbonite, I made an account just to post a thank you. I went off and played, but kept checking back for up dates. After the last one which I think was .7 I saw that that admin for the addon had returned to "fix" the addon, I was thinking WONDERFUL!!!! It's about damn time! But didn't post anything in regards to them. I continued to read the forums and found they didn't really "fix" it but broke it more than it already was due to lack of care of the last 5 years. So, by now I'm sure your asking what the hell my point is in telling you all the bull ****...well it is all to say THANK YOU again to Rythal for the fix to what "was" a great addon.

I love the idea of a pick and choose what you want addon. I am a big BGer so I really love the MAPS for the BGs. Next I would say is the punk buster. Anyhoo thank you again for fixing carbonite so I can get my "fix" of WoW. I look forward to your addon release Rythal. My vote for the name is the Ryonite.
  Reply With Quote
09-19-12, 03:48 AM   #144
SirPugg
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
So... my first challenge, is coming up with a name for it.. I've never been good at names for anything I've ever written (first WoW project, but been writing stuff for many previous games, hell some is even here on MMOUI for EQ2 under a different name :P)

I know a lot of you said names mixing google or carbonite, but my goal with the new project is something completely modular.. you can pick or chose what you want to run... so in theory it would be [NAME] Maps, [NAME] Quest, [NAME] PVP etc..

After I figure out a name, the next step is figuring out which part is wanted the most.. (I'm fairly sure I know the answer but really it's up to you the users which part you want first and one can never be sure)

So let the fun begin!
how about...... Rythalite
  Reply With Quote
09-19-12, 05:33 AM   #145
dozz
A Murloc Raider
 
dozz's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Right from the start I am using ace's localization libraries, so yes it will work whenever I reach that point.
yay! carry on, man
appreciate your effort in youknowthataddon that u fixed for us and we waiting impatiently for your project
  Reply With Quote
09-19-12, 09:16 AM   #146
tinyu
A Molten Giant
 
tinyu's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 838
Even though I don't play WoW anymore (atleast for the forseeable future) I would still like to post some suggestions and ideas.

My biggest issue with Carbontie (and probably most others aswell) was that the code was absolutely terrible they encrypted (obfuscated) it making it very hard to write even the most basic plugins, please keep your code clean and include documentation so other authors can write their own plugins, patches (just incase something breaks and your unable to fix it at the time) and modifications.

The options in Carbonite where just down right confusing, mishmash and just plain ugly, please keep your options neat, tidy and understandable.

While Carbonite had a lot of useful features not everyone used/liked them please make what every features you intend to have as separate modules (ie Map/PvP/Items etc).

If you are able to do most of this I honestly believe your addon could end Carbonite or at the very least wake the authors up.
__________________
"There's no such thing as too many addons."
Lothaer
Titan Dev Team Member.
  Reply With Quote
09-19-12, 02:27 PM   #147
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,458
Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
Even though I don't play WoW anymore (atleast for the forseeable future) I would still like to post some suggestions and ideas.

My biggest issue with Carbontie (and probably most others aswell) was that the code was absolutely terrible they encrypted (obfuscated) it making it very hard to write even the most basic plugins, please keep your code clean and include documentation so other authors can write their own plugins, patches (just incase something breaks and your unable to fix it at the time) and modifications.

The options in Carbonite where just down right confusing, mishmash and just plain ugly, please keep your options neat, tidy and understandable.

While Carbonite had a lot of useful features not everyone used/liked them please make what every features you intend to have as separate modules (ie Map/PvP/Items etc).

If you are able to do most of this I honestly believe your addon could end Carbonite or at the very least wake the authors up.
yeah I don't plan on any obfuscation, if I decide to stop playing WoW I don't want people to have to work ages just to do anything with it like I had to with carbonite... I still question how they are allowed to obfuscate it when that's against blizzards terms, and they've told me specifically they obfuscate it to keep it out of blizzards hands. It's the same reason we will probably never see a public release that anyone can mod. But everyone's turned a blind eye to it from blizzard down so *shrugs*
  Reply With Quote
09-19-12, 03:50 PM   #148
ajamison
A Defias Bandit
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
yeah I don't plan on any obfuscation, if I decide to stop playing WoW I don't want people to have to work ages just to do anything with it like I had to with carbonite... I still question how they are allowed to obfuscate it when that's against blizzards terms, and they've told me specifically they obfuscate it to keep it out of blizzards hands. It's the same reason we will probably never see a public release that anyone can mod. But everyone's turned a blind eye to it from blizzard down so *shrugs*
It looked to me (just my novice opinion) that they did that less for copy prevention and more for Minification, that is to say that they stripped out all the spaces to reduce the size of the file, when you have a large file the blank spaces between characters and blank lines can add up to a few mb of space.

If this is the case then should you need to do this just save a non-minified version you call source for those who wish to edit it.

Also you might want to take a page from Carbonite as bad as that sounds and use your webpage for announcements/news and use wowinterface as your development platform. This way you could use your own domain you currently have as a informational site listing changes/suggestions and what not and use the resources here to manage and maintain your code.
  Reply With Quote
09-19-12, 09:26 PM   #149
tinyu
A Molten Giant
 
tinyu's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 838
Originally Posted by ajamison View Post
It looked to me (just my novice opinion) that they did that less for copy prevention and more for Minification, that is to say that they stripped out all the spaces to reduce the size of the file, when you have a large file the blank spaces between characters and blank lines can add up to a few mb of space.
even if the included all the spaces it would be near impossible to read the code
__________________
"There's no such thing as too many addons."
Lothaer
Titan Dev Team Member.
  Reply With Quote
09-20-12, 03:07 PM   #150
Nalli
A Defias Bandit
 
Nalli's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
Rythal!! Read this...

Hi, Rythal...Thank You for your work on the other thing...couple of things: 1) can you help me reinstall your version again, not sure what file it needs to go under and 2) I was thinking of a name for your new and improved project and being that most people are saying the maps being the biggest part, how about the name "Rythmin" (Rythal and Garmin blended), or even "Rymin" Can't wait for it!!! Good Luck and Happy MoPin'
  Reply With Quote
09-25-12, 06:58 PM   #151
Šoomęd
A Kobold Labourer
 
Šoomęd's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
im french canadian and carbonite helped me a lot , while playing a english game . but now i feel lost whitout it , ive reed that i could aply a patch made by you Rythal but im no good with computer files manipulation ( im only a good gamer , and i wonder about that ...XD ) . but dont be a shame to use your full name on Rythalmap , Rythalquest , ect .....for now you seem to be the only one to care about us . i just wonder one thing...? how much time could it take to make this ? because as many others i was a carbonite Junky , and the wowmap doe s not satisfy my needs ! a year ago i made a donation to carbonite , so if you come up with something , il be glad to send at least 20$ ( canadian $$$ sorry ..lol )

PS : sorry for my bad english , did my best !
  Reply With Quote
09-29-12, 07:18 AM   #152
globalduck1313
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9
Thanx For stepping up Rythal....iffin ya need testers I can help ya out......Night Devils on Proudmoore Alliance side....On that note...how about calling it Ooogle......since we will be oogling the beautiful design and functionality as well as playing on the whole Map mod thing...just my 2 cents adjusted for inflation. :-)
__________________
  Reply With Quote

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Rythal!! Read this...

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off