08-28-06, 05:53 AM   #1
Zeksie
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
X-Perl - Odd freezing issues with showing frames

I have an issue with, well. Let's say X-Perl for want of a better cause. It's mine, so why not lay the blame at my own feet to start and go from there.

If I disable all raid frames, then re-show them (assuming you've been running WoW for a bit and raid is full etc) the 1 line of code that does the Perl_Raid_Frame:Show() (master frame holding all the raid frames). There can be up to a 3.. 4sec freeze just on this one line.

The odd thing though, under same conditions, you can open up the world map, then when you close that you get the same freeze. 3 to 5 secs duration.

Repeating either of these things over and over does not freeze. It's only the first time every few minutes.

To a smaller degree, but still quite noticable, clicking on raid frames can cause a very minor 1 or 2 frame freeze.

So, I suspect shear amount of frames visible + some amount of lua memory fragmentation is causing this, but I don't have enough internal experience to form a more educated answer. I have made many frame optimizations where possible, changed many many things. Made lots of sub-addons optional. But it doesn't cure the root problem.

So, my question really is why does showing some frames freeze so badly, and how to fix that. And are certain frame arrangement methods causing an excessive amount of cpu cycles for WoW?

If anyone else has come accross similar issues and have been able to make some real improvements, please do let me know

Thanks,
Zek

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » X-Perl - Odd freezing issues with showing frames