09-11-12, 12:58 PM   #61
Serra44
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
It is our addon. We did not ask, nor do we want someone else modding it.

I won't tell you to work for free or give your property away, so please don't tell us what we should do with our property.

I think my answers have been direct and to the point, but that is just my opinion.
SHAME ON YOU!

Rythal has taken your project which you abandoned, kept it alive while leaving you with ALL the credit. Even encouraged people to donate to YOU instead of himself. Without Rythal's update, people would have swapped to other addons by now as you couldn't be bothered giving the community any kind of information and your addon would be dead. And not even a bloody thank you! I am disgusted by your response.

You probably haven't taken the time to read any of the forum threads on 'your property', but the whole community pulled together under Rythal's lead to make it work. People were offering help translating, testing, offering server space, answering each other's questions. It was heartwarming and beautiful.

And this is your response... shame on you.

09-11-12, 01:40 PM   #62
alchemy1
A Defias Bandit
hmmm....

I concur Serra44 as well as most people on these forums have a general consensus and make a number of valid points. I believe he should give cred where cred due and eventually GIVE THIS PROJECT TO THE COMMUNITY!!! the people who supported this add-on for all this time deserve more than patch work & fixes here and there. I think our community would make this add-on awesome again he should open the field up and open source the whole damn thing instead of beating it with a stick every patch or in the very least enlist others help to keep it with the times

09-11-12, 02:38 PM   #63
Shaddoh
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs down

So, the author comes back, releases an "update" and breaks the addon. PURE.****ING.FAIL.

09-11-12, 03:30 PM   #64
Pennet
An Aku'mai Servant
<cough>

I added Rythal's 50407 update to my zipped copy of 4.301, and uploaded it to a popular file sharing service, one that involves eyepatches and wenches and ARRGH! It is indexed and searchable now.

Last edited by Pennet : 09-11-12 at 03:47 PM.

09-11-12, 08:08 PM   #65
DJ Particle
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

As mentioned, Rythal's update works with 5.041 as well

09-11-12, 08:45 PM   #66
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
One thing that I will never understand is the sheer number of people that will complain about the Authors of carbonite in this very thread and how they are outraged over their handling of the situation.

Yet the greatest way to show the creator of a product you are unhappy is to STOP using it, and that is for the most part not happening.

Some statements I've seen that need correcting. You make a donation as a donation. There are no conditions attached to it. If you FEEL it is to encourage development/patching that is your right. It does not change the fact that it is simply a donation with no strings attached.

It does not matter if you want the addon released to the public domain. You are in no position to make any demands, state what SHOULD be and so on. It is not your property to control in any way.

I bring these things up because of one very simple fact. No amount of fast talk, insults, internet tough guy attitude, reasoning, coding experience or anything of the sort is going to convince the Authors contrary to what has been clearly stated. They have no intention to release it to the public nor do they want anyone making updates for public consumption. A fact that Rythal was extremely aware of as he stated.

This leaves you with 3 options. 1)Accept it and wait for an update (hopefully one you can actually use)or update your local copy. 2) Find alternatives for said addon as some are doing and encouraging others to follow suit. I applaud this simply for its community spirit. Just think, half the work is already done for you or 3) if you simply cannot play the game without carbonite than it might be time to hang up the spurs and ride off in to the sunset.

Please also stop using Rythal as your justification for outrage. He has made it clear he knew what he was getting in to and seems rather ok with it all. If your mad, be honest and just be mad.

**grabs the flame-resistant tinfoil hat**

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

09-11-12, 08:58 PM   #67
Stateless573
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Serra44 View Post
SHAME ON YOU!

Rythal has taken your project which you abandoned, kept it alive while leaving you with ALL the credit.
They're here, so obviously it wasn't abandoned.
Also, I they took credit for Rythal's work, they just said they didn't want someone other than them modifying it.

09-12-12, 12:01 AM   #68
Serra44
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Stateless573 View Post
They're here, so obviously it wasn't abandoned.
Also, I they took credit for Rythal's work, they just said they didn't want someone other than them modifying it.
They're here?
- 3 Weeks after the patch they post a 'fix' which doesn't work?
- They couldn't find 10 seconds anywhere to reply to all the questions on the forums about whether they wanted to continue developing their addon in months?
- Rythal managed to get a Darkmoon Faire map working in two weeks. The Darkmoon Faire in it's current form has been in the game since the 29th of November 2011. That is 10½ months ago. Are you seriously saying the devs have not abandoned their project and are on the ball with it?

They're here only to mark their territory by pissing over what Rythal, with help of the community, managed to do. Not to fix their addon or take any real interest in it.

09-12-12, 01:12 AM   #69
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Serra44 View Post
- They couldn't find 10 seconds anywhere to reply to all the questions on the forums about whether they wanted to continue developing their addon in months?

They're here only to mark their territory by pissing over what Rythal, with help of the community, managed to do. Not to fix their addon or take any real interest in it.
10 seconds? I think I've spent a few hours responding to a bunch of the threads - saying to give the authors time and that they would tell us when they decided to no longer continue the project (as they previously posted). As to three weeks after the patch, they didn't know about it for about 2 weeks - so not too bad in keeping a busy life (I'm assuming when they say they are busy, they tell the truth).

As far as I understand, they haven't specifically named Rythal by name or called him out. But the mentioned that they do not want anyone updating their project, that is their decision - not ours. I believe Rythal has acted well in all this - because he has spent a lot of his own time on the fan update and at the risk of pissing off the authors. I'm restating what another had said, if you feel so horrid about what has happened - stop using Carbonite and never look back. It allows the remaining community to continue on and provide useful feedback instead of clogging the forums with hundreds of negative non-helpful posts.

09-12-12, 02:09 AM   #70
EmyrB
A Murloc Raider
Wow, the amount of hate towards Faatal is amazing, and uncalled for. First let me get this out there.

Rythal I salute you and thank you from the bottom of my heart. You did an excellent job and all us carbonite users sure do owe you a pint of something cold for helping us when patch 5.0.4 hit. What you did goes beyond heoric, it was titanic. As has been noted, you didn't have to do it, but you took it upon yourself to make an excellent addon work with the new patch.

Faatal I also salute you and thank you from the bottom of my heart to come back to a project and update it so people can use it.

To the whiners I say this, have you ever been part of a coding project? If the answer is no, then go and set one up and once you put it out there and get bug reports, feedback and such, try to maintain it. Then one day you will find real life steps up and taps you on the shoulder and gently reminds you of your other commitments, be it a partner, children, a job, whatever. Once you have a busy real life and the coding project isn't your day to day way to eran a crust, then see if you can find the time to maintain it after reading all the whiners comments.

As Faatal said, he doesn't play WoW, so he had no idea that Blizzard had patched it. The same happened for Cataclysm and WoTLK as well. I only hope that Faatal is commited to iron out the bugs, get to know the new API's and figure out how to rework stuff. As to Faatal saying it's their project, that's not a birdie to the community, after all it is their work, which they have spent a lot of time and effort on producing.

That's my 1 pennies worth. Now if you will excuse me, I'm off to wrestle with Patch 5.0.5!

09-12-12, 07:19 AM   #71
yodawhip
A Murloc Raider
This addon is the best gathering addon that i have used & I can't go without it.
The fan update is what the author's should expect b/c ppl are asking for info regarding an update & getting nothing.

I can appreciate that the authors got a raw deal on a piece of work that is worth its weight in gold, but get over it and make a choice to push the code to an open source (and get on with your lives) or step up to the plate & provide some insight as to what is happening and when things like updates will be released.

If u don't want to maintain Carbonite, then pass the torch. The concept of destroying something that you can't have is antiquated & counter-intuitive.

The guy that did the fan update is awesome! I cant thank him enough for his great work.

Last edited by yodawhip : 09-12-12 at 07:34 AM.

09-12-12, 07:26 AM   #72
EmyrB
A Murloc Raider
Rythal Fan Update & Carbonite 5401

Correct me if I am way off the mark here, but we can use Carbonite 5401 and paste into it Rythal's brilliant Fan Update?

Last edited by EmyrB : 09-12-12 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Typo's

09-12-12, 08:50 AM   #73
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by yodawhip View Post
If u don't want to maintain Carbonite, then pass the torch. The concept of destroying something that you can't have is antiquated & counter-intuitive.
Same as the concept of "If you have a problem with the way it works, go create your own" or "Don't beat up on the people that are giving you free things that you use or you may just never see them again.".

They have no need to pass the torch, they are not destroying their creation, they may be slower than some of the community wants - but you will never please everyone. In addition, if they were to let Carbonite wither away does not mean they are destroying it, they are letting it run its life cycle without extending it by giving it to others. If I remember correctly, I saw a post of over 5,000 man hours going into this addon - who wants to give up 2.5+ working years of their life to someone else to just take over?

Anyone (ie: Rythal, should he follow through) looking to "pick up the torch and run with it" needs to create their own add on from scratch and maintain it (there is no second guessing if you missed something that way too). When someone actually creates something better than Carbonite, people will flock to it and Carbonite will go off into a memory. As a follow up, I feel bad for anyone looking to take that torch, god forbid they get sick a day or two and come back to 20-30 threads with many posts flaming them for being slow to update and filled with bug reports as Carbonite has. May they have thick skin, for they will need it.

09-12-12, 10:09 AM   #74
DJ Particle
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by EmyrB View Post
Correct me if I am way off the mark here, but we can use Carbonite 5401 and paste into it Rythal's brilliant Fan Update?
Rythal's update *will* work with the other folders/files from 5.401, just the version number will revert back to 5.004.007. The upside though, is the other 3 folders will no longer come up as "out of date" in your add-ons list

09-12-12, 12:17 PM   #75
EmyrB
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by DJ Particle View Post
Rythal's update *will* work with the other folders/files from 5.401, just the version number will revert back to 5.004.007. The upside though, is the other 3 folders will no longer come up as "out of date" in your add-ons list
Fantastic.

09-12-12, 01:15 PM   #76
Muezick
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Welp.

I'm going to continue using Rythal's update till it breaks...After that, I wont be back.

Good job running "your" addon into the ground. It's a good thing Henry Ford didn't take automobiles to the grave with him, huh. I used to think you were an all right guy Faatal, I paid for the original carbonite. But after this? NOPE NOPE NOPE.

09-12-12, 01:48 PM   #77
DJ Particle
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Muezick View Post
It's a good thing Henry Ford didn't take automobiles to the grave with him
To be fair, Ford didn't invent the automobile... he just made them affordable.

The first automobiles actually date back to the advent of the steam engine...over 100 years before Ford built his first car in 1896.

09-12-12, 03:14 PM   #78
sinclsw007
A Defias Bandit
Carbonite has never been a "community" project addon - if that bothers you, don't use it.

If you think you are entitled to get something for nothing - tough, you're not.

If you're dissatisfied with its current state and can't wait until it's debugged - don't use it.

If you think the first version of any addon after the patch was perfect - really?

09-12-12, 03:25 PM   #79
Lunchbox.Charlie
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Whoo! That escalated quickly!

Last edited by Lunchbox.Charlie : 09-12-12 at 03:32 PM.

09-12-12, 04:07 PM   #80
skyesfury
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by sinclsw007 View Post
Carbonite has never been a "community" project addon - if that bothers you, don't use it.

If you think you are entitled to get something for nothing - tough, you're not.

If you're dissatisfied with its current state and can't wait until it's debugged - don't use it.

If you think the first version of any addon after the patch was perfect - really?
It is now. The "copyright" expired last year.

What makes you think anyone feels entitled? What sort of asinine assumption is that?

Many of us don't have to wait for it to be debugged. We have Rythal's fan update that actually works.

It's not about "first version after the patch". So my reply to that... really?

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite 5.0