01-14-13, 12:58 AM   #1
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Alt-Tracking addons - Altoholic? Bagsync? Comments?

I've been using Altoholic pretty much since I started playing WoW - it was the second one I had, after I was badgered into downloading QuestHelper (all hail QuestHelper, never recovered from Cata...)

Since patch 5, Altoholic has been throwing me errors right, left, sideways, and upside down, combined with lost functionality wrt professions, among other things. qq

I came across a reference to Bagsync, and it looks like it does similar things, as completely... but among the things it says on the front page of the addon is that it can't track across accounts, that it's not possible. Which is interesting, because Altoholic claims to... I haven't created another account to test this, but I see no reason to doubt it, as the ability woudln't be listed in the dropdown otherwise.

Does anyone have any experience with them, and could possibly let me know what the similarities and differences are? I don't want to lose functionality, but I'd also like to lose the errors...

Thank you. If this comment is in the wrong place, mods, please feel free to move it and let me know so I can follow.
-Bar
01-14-13, 01:54 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I haven't used either one, but a quick glance at the Altoholic documentation explains that its "multiple account support" is really just addon communication -- you log on to both accounts, and then send the data from A to B, and from B to A. It's not anything different than any other addon that syncs with other players. Technically you could even sync data with a friend, a guildmate, or any random stranger. If you don't actually have multiple accounts, though, the presence or absence of this feature is probably irrelevant for you.

You should be able to install both addons alongside each other to check out their differences.
01-14-13, 03:36 PM   #3
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Barleduq View Post

Since patch 5, Altoholic has been throwing me errors right, left, sideways, and upside down, combined with lost functionality wrt professions, among other things. qq

I'm not getting a single LUA error from Altoholic, so maybe a clean reinstall of the addon might help you. Take note though that it will reset all of your settings for Altoholic.

Delete all of the folders in your Addon folder that relate to Altoholic.
Go into the WTF folder and proceed to Account\AccountName\SavedVariables. You will see two files related to Altoholic (Altoholic.lua and Altoholic.lua.bak). You can either delete both of those files or temporarily move them to another location (desktop or elsewhere).

Re-download Altoholic and install as usual. Now you can log back into the game and into each of your characters to do the normal setup of Altoholic. You shouldn't see anymore lua errors from Altoholic. If you do, you can post the lua errors here and someone can point you in the right direction to either help you get them fixed or to help you report the errors to the addon developer(s).
01-14-13, 05:52 PM   #4
Xruptor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I've been using Altoholic pretty much since I started playing WoW - it was the second one I had, after I was badgered into downloading QuestHelper (all hail QuestHelper, never recovered from Cata...)

I came across a reference to Bagsync, and it looks like it does similar things, as completely... but among the things it says on the front page of the addon is that it can't track across accounts, that it's not possible. Which is interesting, because Altoholic claims to... I haven't created another account to test this, but I see no reason to doubt it, as the ability woudln't be listed in the dropdown otherwise.

Does anyone have any experience with them, and could possibly let me know what the similarities and differences are? I don't want to lose functionality, but I'd also like to lose the errors...

Thank you. If this comment is in the wrong place, mods, please feel free to move it and let me know so I can follow.
-Bar
Hi, I'm the creator of BagSync and I can tell you that no addon will have absolute support for multiple accounts. It just isn't possible with the way Blizzard has setup how data saves data for addons on accounts. Right now data is saved on account basis and is not shared across accounts. So addons cannot grab data that is on another account because it doesn't have access to it.

Now this doesn't prevent you from MAKING a way forcefully on windows to do this. This goes outside the scope of Addons and WOW client. Since you have to do this manually yourself.

If you go to the comments section of BagSync, tmcnabb created a guide to link the BagSync variables together across accounts.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download....html#comments

I will quote it here just in case:

Originally Posted by tmcnabb
Just gonna chime in here

TL;DR
just make a symbolic link of your bank toon account folder and your main character folders like so

Open escalated cmd prompt and type
Code:
mklink /D "C:\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<banktoonaccount>" "C:\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<MainToonFolder>"
Make sure to copy the contents of the <banktoonaccount> folder into the <MainToonFolder> folder then delete the <banktoonaccount> account folder

It is possible as I do it. This can be done if you run windows Vista/7/8

This method shares all settings tho.

You have to make a symbolic link of your <Account1> and <Account1> folders.

First make a copy of your wtf in case you mess it up

Code:
mklink /D  [LINK NAME] [TARGET]
First I would copy all my character named folders inside of my secondary account name folder into the main account named folder.

Then delete the secondary account named folder from WTF/Account

Then open up an ADMIN promoted CMD window by hitting the windows key then type CMD in the box .. you should see the CMD window program up top ..then right click it and run as administrator.

CD to your wow directory

so lets say my wow is installed on the z: drive in "z:\World of Warcraft" then I would type in the admin CMD window

Code:
z: 
cd World (hit tab it will complete it for you)
cd wtf
cd account
Type "dir" to make sure you are in the right spot. You should only see one folder .. the account name of your main account..(because we deleted the other one)

Type

Use the quotes in these commands
if you get an error "file already exists" then you either didnt delete the secondary or you have the folder names reversed.

Use at your own risk

if it works you will see

symbolic link created for Z:\Todd Stuff\w\WTF\Account\2 <<===>> Z:\Todd Stuff\w\
WTF\Account\1

or something similar

LOVE this addon btw .. lets me see the crap I have on all my bank toons ...

Thanks

TL;DR

just make a symbolic link of your bank toon account folder and your main character folders like so

Open escalated cmd prompt and type
Code:
mklink /D "C:\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<banktoonaccount>" "C:\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<MainToonFolder>"
Make sure to copy the contents of the <banktoonaccount> folder into the <MainToonFolder> folder then delete the <banktoonaccount> account folder

if (sizeof(sadness) > sizeof(happiness)) { initDepression(); }
01-15-13, 05:14 AM   #5
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I haven't used either one, but a quick glance at the Altoholic documentation explains that its "multiple account support" is really just addon communication -- you log on to both accounts, and then send the data from A to B, and from B to A. It's not anything different than any other addon that syncs with other players. Technically you could even sync data with a friend, a guildmate, or any random stranger. If you don't actually have multiple accounts, though, the presence or absence of this feature is probably irrelevant for you.
Which I have done twice; it hadn't occurred to me that that was the method, I had assumed it was working with file-sharing across the account directories in a similar way to file sharing across toons on the same account.

You should be able to install both addons alongside each other to check out their differences.
Heh. I'm somewhat interested in lightening the load I put on the machine, not increasing it. I suspect that my persistent 'script ran too long' messages are due to having an older machine. I should probably find something to use other than firefox, also... Tonight, while running WoW, I had pidgin and one firefox window open, wiht a bunch of tabs - here, wowhead, norganna's forums, gmail, imgur... and my cpu monitor was pegged, and my FPS was waffling between 2 and 32.
01-15-13, 05:26 AM   #6
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
I'm not getting a single LUA error from Altoholic, so maybe a clean reinstall of the addon might help you. Take note though that it will reset all of your settings for Altoholic.
Yeah, I've done it before. With 11 toons on Shu'Halo, 8 on Stormrage and 5 on SilverHand, it's a right PITA.

...You shouldn't see anymore lua errors from Altoholic. If you do, you can post the lua errors here and someone can point you in the right direction to either help you get them fixed or to help you report the errors to the addon developer(s).
I've been posting them to the comment page for Altoholic. One frequent commenter has told me I'm running too many addons. Given that there are people who claim they run twice as many as I do and have no problems, I'm hoping that is *not* the case. After getting stuff help with the aftereffects of the superstorm, I don't have any discretionary cash left for a new machine.
01-15-13, 05:35 AM   #7
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Xruptor View Post
Hi, I'm the creator of BagSync and I can tell you that no addon will have absolute support for multiple accounts. It just isn't possible with the way Blizzard has setup how data saves data for addons on accounts. Right now data is saved on account basis and is not shared across accounts. So addons cannot grab data that is on another account because it doesn't have access to it.
*nods* This is why I ask questions here. I'm not a coder, tho I was tolerably able to mod shell script for my work when I last had a job.

If you go to the comments section of BagSync, tmcnabb created a guide to link the BagSync variables together across accounts.
Yep, I saw it. I don't run on windows at all, but I get the gist. I've recently followed the advice of someone in another thread and started using a free 'cloud' service to sync my data across two machines. I expect the same theory would work for two accounts as well. In fact, if I *did* have more than one account, I expect.... I'd have to figure out how to merge info. ... now i have to think about that... but I haven't started seeing more errors since I started that... hmph.
01-15-13, 06:08 AM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

I've recently followed the advice of someone in another thread and started using a free 'cloud' service to sync my data across two machines. I expect the same theory would work for two accounts as well.
I'd strongly advise against using a cloud sync service to sync the contents of multiple folders on the same machine. Use a junction/symlink instead.
01-15-13, 12:53 PM   #9
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I'd strongly advise against using a cloud sync service to sync the contents of multiple folders on the same machine. Use a junction/symlink instead.
That's precisely what I do, using DropBox. I just have my WTF and AddOns folders in DropBox and symlink to that from the WoW folder on different machines (I actually have two WTFs since I run 2560x1440 at home and 1920x1080 at work).

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
01-16-13, 04:51 PM   #10
Farmbuyer
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Rundown makes use of the same DataStore libraries that Altoholic uses, and I've had no errors or other problems. You need to make sure that you're using 4.2.002 of DataStore though, and not the -nolib version (the author screwed up the disembedded dependency list).

On a related note, if all you're looking for is tracking inventory between alts, you might take a look at Rundown. There are plenty of things that it doesn't track however, so it doesn't suit everybody.
01-17-13, 05:06 AM   #11
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
That's precisely what I do, using DropBox. I just have my WTF and AddOns folders in DropBox and symlink to that from the WoW folder on different machines (I actually have two WTFs since I run 2560x1440 at home and 1920x1080 at work).
Given that I have this set up... if I was going to do a clean install, I think I would have to remove it from one machine, but not install it... and then remove it from the other and do a clean install there, so that there would be a blank slate for the clean install to write into, rather than have it trying to overwrite possibly bad files.

... ?

I've managed to confuse myself with the concept of whether it matters if data is being overwritten or merged. I'm wondering if part of my problems with altoholic is that it might be getting confused by the file overwrites.

I don't *think* so... it should be that it has the most recent data all the time, no matter which machine I'm on.

I think.
01-17-13, 06:37 PM   #12
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You should have the latest data unless one of your machines doesn't have network access to synchronize the files.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
01-21-13, 05:06 PM   #13
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Farmbuyer View Post
You need to make sure that you're using 4.2.002 of DataStore though, and not the -nolib version (the author screwed up the disembedded dependency list).
Hopefully what's included with the latest update of Altoholic on this site is acceptable; I wasn't able to find a version number in any of the files I looked at. (Which doesn't mean it isn't there, just that I didn't find it, or really know where to look.)

On a related note, if all you're looking for is tracking inventory between alts, you might take a look at Rundown. There are plenty of things that it doesn't track however, so it doesn't suit everybody.
One of the things I rely on it for is keeping track of the professions of my alts, so not only do I know what I have, but know what I need for pattern X when my bankalt is online and I'm trying to make a deal for e.g. my tailor to do something and quote a price.

Trying a clean install for now.

Thank you, all, for help so far.
-Barleduq
01-21-13, 09:58 PM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
One of the things I rely on it for is keeping track of the professions of my alts, so not only do I know what I have, but know what I need for pattern X when my bankalt is online and I'm trying to make a deal for e.g. my tailor to do something and quote a price.
If your alts are all in the same guild, the default UI does this now through the guild UI.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Alt-Tracking addons - Altoholic? Bagsync? Comments?