03-16-15, 06:37 PM   #1
kaytotes
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Addon causing WoW Crash

A couple of my users and myself have noticed that BlizzImp seems to cause WoW to crash with:

This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal exception!
Error occurs with only BlizzImp installed, I believe this started with the addition of the chat module though I am honestly unsure.

The crash occurs when handing in certain quest such as Apexis Daily, Ore Trader etc. But seemingly not all quests.

I figured it would just be best to link to my GitHub for ease of reading.
03-16-15, 06:55 PM   #2
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Could be one of these global strings you're replacing, and even if it isn't I believe replacing the global is going to taint every blizzard function that uses it anywhere, which could cause other problems in the interface.

Specifically, if I had to guess, one of the quest strings you're replacing, and I strongly suspect this one..
Lua Code:
  1. ERR_QUEST_REWARD_ITEM_MULT_IS = "|cffFFFF00+ %s |cffFFFF00(%d)";
Because the original value is this..
Lua Code:
  1. ERR_QUEST_REWARD_ITEM_MULT_IS = "Received %d of item: %s.";
And you swapped the %d and %s, so it's trying to put a string where it's expecting a number.
03-17-15, 04:45 AM   #3
Lombra
A Molten Giant

Have you looked closer at the error details? Sometimes it actually says which addon, line and function that causes it.
03-17-15, 08:12 AM   #4
kaytotes
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
Have you looked closer at the error details? Sometimes it actually says which addon, line and function that causes it.
If only it were that simple! I'd looked through the dumps in Errors and also the various Log files and came up with nothing though. Though Semlar seems to have found the issue much much quicker than I did. Swapped it around and hopefully it should be fixed.
03-17-15, 08:35 AM   #5
Dorwido
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
I think anyway not a good idea to change a global string, other addons maybe relay on it too for example translation reasons would be kinda better to directly manipulate the string.
03-17-15, 08:49 AM   #6
Elkano
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

if it's really caused by replacing that global string, you could also try something that is iirc not part of standard Lua but included in WoW: changing the arguments' order

since the original string has the amount before the item's name, that's the order the arguments are passed to format. So try:
Lua Code:
  1. ERR_QUEST_REWARD_ITEM_MULT_IS = "|cffFFFF00+ %2$s |cffFFFF00(%1$d)";

That should change the order in which the arguments are inserted.
03-17-15, 09:06 AM   #7
kaytotes
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Dorwido View Post
I think anyway not a good idea to change a global string, other addons maybe relay on it too for example translation reasons would be kinda better to directly manipulate the string.
I hadn't personally considered this, do you have an example of the direct manipulation as I'm not sure I follow.
03-17-15, 04:02 PM   #8
Dorwido
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by kaytotes View Post
I hadn't personally considered this, do you have an example of the direct manipulation as I'm not sure I follow.
usually such stuff is called from an blizzard addon and you could just hook into it and change the text or change it when the frame is drawn, looks like this one is just a chat output and would prolly need to hook the whole chat which is kinda expensive (but maybe there is also an event you could listen too, didnt realy look into it) and prolly nobody use this one but just just in general i dont find it is a good idea to change globals.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Addon causing WoW Crash