05-13-09, 11:56 AM   #1
srtzero
A Murloc Raider

Replacement for Carbonite

I was wondering if anyone can tell me of a good replacement for carbonite. I like the mini map and quest tracker function, along with the way point system and enemy detections. Since that is about all I want I don't see the reason to have Carbonite since its pretty big with all the other features it has.Does anyone know of another mod or mods that can do this just as well. Any suggestions would be great.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
05-13-09, 12:24 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yeah, I pretty much dumped Carbonite when they had to merge the paid version with the free version. The free version was all I needed - rofl.

Quest Helper is a pretty good replacement but I don't think it replaces everything and doesn't have a map builtin.

But I eventually got rid of both and now having fun doing my quests as I get to actually think where I need to go instead of having an arrow point me the way. After 3 80s I should know most of the quests by heart now

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
05-13-09, 09:43 PM   #3
Baltharus
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Yeah, I pretty much dumped Carbonite when they had to merge the paid version with the free version. The free version was all I needed - rofl.

Quest Helper is a pretty good replacement but I don't think it replaces everything and doesn't have a map builtin.

But I eventually got rid of both and now having fun doing my quests as I get to actually think where I need to go instead of having an arrow point me the way. After 3 80s I should know most of the quests by heart now
haha

im to lazy to read quest logs.. i just accept it open my map and go in a direction
05-20-09, 10:11 AM   #4
havoxx
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Baltharus View Post
haha

im to lazy to read quest logs.. i just accept it open my map and go in a direction

I was actually having issues with the latest QH so I grabbed carbonite. But, you might try getting these 4 addons, Questhelper, Mapster, TomTom, and QuestGuru, those are what I used to use.
05-20-09, 11:08 AM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by srtzero View Post
I was wondering if anyone can tell me of a good replacement for carbonite.
I've never found anything that comes close to replacing Carbonite, and hope I'm never forced to.

As for QH, there's not enough cash in the world to tempt me to use it.
05-20-09, 01:34 PM   #6
Curumtiny
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Personally I like the Carbonite + Tour Guide + Tom Tom + Light Headed + Wow-Pro.com Alliance Guide or Wow-pro.com Horde Leveling Guide.

These addon's are great for leveling.
05-24-09, 10:20 AM   #7
Apraxia
Clippy Crit Chicken

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Curumtiny View Post
Personally I like the Carbonite + Tour Guide + Tom Tom + Light Headed + Wow-Pro.com Alliance Guide or Wow-pro.com Horde Leveling Guide.

These addon's are great for leveling.
Carbonite already eliminates the need for using Tour Guide or Tom Tom. Utilizing the favorites portion of Carbonite is one part, and Tom Tom is practically fully replaced by Carbonite's default way of tracking and setting way points but can go a STEP FURTHER and offers the option to set carbonite to work like Tom Tom OR Cartographer.

Light-headed is the only thing I add to my questing leveling alts with Carbonite. I tried that leveling guide thing (before I knew of carbonite.) and It was just as lengthy reading through the damn thing, after carbonite I realized to toss the guide just pick up every damn quest along the way and follow the lightheaded notes about the chain and I got it done in triple the speed of those guides since carbonite auto tracked and displayed way points for all questing and light headed filled in the details whenever I was stumped...

TLDR: Dump Tour Guide, and Tom Tom, your duplicating addons. Carbonite is capable of going beyond them both and was made to do so. You could free a lot of memory usuage as well.

05-27-09, 12:34 AM   #8
dneice
A Murloc Raider

lightheaded and questhelper are my faves

Last edited by dneice : 05-27-09 at 12:38 AM.
06-01-09, 03:18 AM   #9
sgtoutlaw
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Apraxia View Post
Carbonite already eliminates the need for using Tour Guide or Tom Tom. Utilizing the favorites portion of Carbonite is one part, and Tom Tom is practically fully replaced by Carbonite's default way of tracking and setting way points but can go a STEP FURTHER and offers the option to set carbonite to work like Tom Tom OR Cartographer.

Light-headed is the only thing I add to my questing leveling alts with Carbonite. I tried that leveling guide thing (before I knew of carbonite.) and It was just as lengthy reading through the damn thing, after carbonite I realized to toss the guide just pick up every damn quest along the way and follow the lightheaded notes about the chain and I got it done in triple the speed of those guides since carbonite auto tracked and displayed way points for all questing and light headed filled in the details whenever I was stumped...

TLDR: Dump Tour Guide, and Tom Tom, your duplicating addons. Carbonite is capable of going beyond them both and was made to do so. You could free a lot of memory usuage as well.
Can't help but think you don't know what Tour Guide does by the way you talk about it.

It does that whole auto completing and showing arrows to next objective thing and all of that, the thing that Tour Guide does that Carbonite can't, is show you where to go to get the quests needed, so you don't have to go to the same place over and over for different quests.

Like say if I get quests from this hub and then I go off to do one of them near me, then I go off and I find another quest over in this other place, and have to go back to that same area to do that quest. Instead the guide will generally get you all the quests for any relevant area before hand.

I will say though that this isn't as necessary anymore since WOTLK is so full of chain quests.

In general though, Tour Guide doesn't involve any 'Reading'.

You are right about tom tom though, enable the arrow for carbonite and you don't need tom tom, it will work with Tour guide and everything.

Last edited by sgtoutlaw : 06-01-09 at 03:22 AM.
06-01-09, 06:46 PM   #10
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

uummm just enable quest giver locations in carbonite and it shows them all right on your map along with what part number of a chain it is and what level is required to get the quest

06-01-09, 06:47 PM   #11
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by sgtoutlaw View Post
Can't help but think you don't know what Tour Guide does by the way you talk about it.

It does that whole auto completing and showing arrows to next objective thing and all of that, the thing that Tour Guide does that Carbonite can't, is show you where to go to get the quests needed, so you don't have to go to the same place over and over for different quests.

Like say if I get quests from this hub and then I go off to do one of them near me, then I go off and I find another quest over in this other place, and have to go back to that same area to do that quest. Instead the guide will generally get you all the quests for any relevant area before hand.

I will say though that this isn't as necessary anymore since WOTLK is so full of chain quests.

In general though, Tour Guide doesn't involve any 'Reading'.

You are right about tom tom though, enable the arrow for carbonite and you don't need tom tom, it will work with Tour guide and everything.
Carbonite has a quest database for each zone. I can view that database and it tells me where the quest is located, who it begins with, who it ends with, and if I want I can make it a GoTo so my arrow points me right to the quest giver. Once the quest is complete it gets moved to the quest history. Also, you can have every single quest exclamation point in the zone show up on the map weather you have the quest or not. You can disable each one at a time as you finish the quests.
06-02-10, 08:01 PM   #12
Sykotic13
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by srtzero View Post
I was wondering if anyone can tell me of a good replacement for carbonite. I like the mini map and quest tracker function, along with the way point system and enemy detections. Since that is about all I want I don't see the reason to have Carbonite since its pretty big with all the other features it has.Does anyone know of another mod or mods that can do this just as well. Any suggestions would be great.
The minimap guide data is the only thing I haven't found a replacement for. That is very handy in cities. Overall, I just am not all the impressed with Carbonite. It does a LOT of things, but I haven't found any granular way to turn off most of the features that I don't use.
06-12-10, 12:12 PM   #13
DMStehlek
A Murloc Raider
No Carbonite or Lightheaded here

I used to use a combo of Lightheaded + Questhelper, then I switched to Carbonite. Then I realized I pretty much know where most quest objectives are now. I use QuesterRouterLite. That's it. Puts POI's for quests on the Mini-Map, no need for an arrow, though it will use TomTom if you have it installed.

Only one issue I've found, it does cause some frame-rate problems if you have the tracker update set low, I just bump it up to about 10 second intervals and off I go!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » General » nUI: Community Chat » Replacement for Carbonite