08-14-12, 09:28 AM   #1
mikenowo
An Aku'mai Servant
Carbonite out of date message incorrect

I keep getting the message below that Carbonite is out of date EVEN though I have the most recent version from the website (4.301). Why is this displaying when there is NO newer version?

[11:01:42 AM] CARBONITE
This version is pretty old.
Visit carboniteaddon.com and check for a newer version

08-14-12, 06:23 PM   #2
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Because there is code in the carbonite.lua file which says "after x date, display this message". It's after whatever date is set in there, so it displays the message. You should just ignore it. If you just can't do that, then search these forums — there have been at least a couple of threads about how to find the right spot in the code and how to editit.

08-14-12, 11:41 PM   #3
mikenowo
An Aku'mai Servant
Smile

Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
Because there is code in the carbonite.lua file which says "after x date, display this message". It's after whatever date is set in there, so it displays the message. You should just ignore it. If you just can't do that, then search these forums — there have been at least a couple of threads about how to find the right spot in the code and how to editit.
Heh, I've programmed for over 30 years I'm sure I'll find it. Thanks for the heads up.

08-15-12, 03:23 AM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
From another, older, post on the subject:

Open that file and search for 120327, not the numbers in the other thread. Those numbers equate to YearMonthDay. The day the message started was 2012, March 27, or 120327. Change it to 130327, save the changes, and you should be good to go.

In my "Carbonite.lua" file, they are on line 18168, but I've seen different lines for the same things in Lua files from the same addon before, so...... Hopefully, that is not the case here.
Apparently when they fixed the nag message they rewrote, re-ordered, or added(?) some other things.

The date you're looking for is 120807, and it is now on line 13967. I had to find it by searching for the function line "function Nx.Sec:VaT()" which is the function the message is part of. That function starts on line 13965 and ends on line 13973. Nine lines of code, but one of them occasionally causes some serious irritation.

I'm not too sure why you would have to change the date, though. If you updated Carbonite to the latest (4.301) version, the nag is gone. You'll start getting it again on August 7, 2012 if there are no further updates til then.
The file you would search in is the "Carbonite.lua" file that you can find in the main Carbonite folder in your "AddOns" folder.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

08-15-12, 07:30 AM   #5
mikenowo
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
From another, older, post on the subject:

The file you would search in is the "Carbonite.lua" file that you can find in the main Carbonite folder in your "AddOns" folder.
Yeah I see line# 13968 'local x=120807' in function 'Nx.Sec:VaT()', that's when the message started heh.

08-25-12, 11:44 AM   #6
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by mikenowo View Post
Yeah I see line# 13968 'local x=120807' in function 'Nx.Sec:VaT()', that's when the message started heh.
I've said it before, I'll say it again, this is just about the worst possible way to code an update warning, especially since Carbonite updates so infrequently that you spend more time with the warning than without.

09-01-12, 12:55 PM   #7
WeaveDiva
An Aku'mai Servant

the sad thing is, the only thing listed (as far as i can recall) in the last update, was removing that warning message! how ridiculous!...maybe a hidden one was left in as a reminder for the devs to get off their butts?

09-05-12, 08:44 AM   #8
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by WeaveDiva View Post
the sad thing is, the only thing listed (as far as i can recall) in the last update, was removing that warning message! how ridiculous!...maybe a hidden one was left in as a reminder for the devs to get off their butts?
Actually, and this will probably be considered by some to be a mere technicality, the Carbonite devs never actually said they "removed" the reminder. They said they "fixed" the reminder.

In fact, it's still in the current code, and will again begin "nagging" us on September 28, 2012, or (as it is written into the coded function) 120928. Unless, of course, said date is changed somewhere along the line.

There is, in fact, no "hidden" reminder message. It's written into the code, and is in plain sight........ If you know where to look, and there are entire threads on the Carbonite forums dedicated to this exact subject. Finding it, or even "fixing" your local installation of Carbonite, is not a problem.

For those of you that actually want to see it, the date is on line 14658 in the current "Carbonite.lua" file. The entire function is contained in lines 14656 through 14664.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

09-05-12, 09:33 AM   #9
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
yeah I debated long and hard about leaving it in or not and finally decided at least for now to have it nag again the day MoP comes out since not everyone is following the updates / fixes, and I have no other way to say "hey look another update".

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite out of date message incorrect