04-17-09, 10:59 AM   #1
Shoglo
A Defias Bandit
Red face Noob help, please

Hi everyone:

While I am thoroughly addicted to WOW, I have only been playing about 6 months. Therefore, I am still ignorant to much. That being said, I need some help! I understand the issue with WowMatrix and am so very sad to see it go away. What they were doing was not right, but it made playing the game so much easier for me, without having to understand the technicality of add-ons. I do not understand the language of add ons (mod, HUD, plug ins, code, etc.). Can anyone point me to a site or thread where I can understand (in noobie terms) how to get my add-ons back? Without having to take a course in programming or something? Also, I may have been using a number of addons that did the same thing. I would like a little, ok a lot, of help. Thank you and please be gentle with me.

Sincerely,

Shoglo
04-17-09, 11:08 AM   #2
noble8
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Shoglo View Post
Hi everyone:

While I am thoroughly addicted to WOW, I have only been playing about 6 months. Therefore, I am still ignorant to much. That being said, I need some help! I understand the issue with WowMatrix and am so very sad to see it go away. What they were doing was not right, but it made playing the game so much easier for me, without having to understand the technicality of add-ons. I do not understand the language of add ons (mod, HUD, plug ins, code, etc.). Can anyone point me to a site or thread where I can understand (in noobie terms) how to get my add-ons back? Without having to take a course in programming or something? Also, I may have been using a number of addons that did the same thing. I would like a little, ok a lot, of help. Thank you and please be gentle with me.

Sincerely,

Shoglo
You are in luck, you need 0 programming knowledge to download/install your addons, you can get these addons from a multitude of sites, to name just two:

- www.wowinterface.com
- www.curse.com

Some helpful guides on installing your addons can be found here:

- How to install - http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f..._howto_install
- Any Issues - http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14762

Enjoy <3

Last edited by noble8 : 04-17-09 at 11:12 AM.
04-17-09, 11:09 AM   #3
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

On your journey to learning more about addon installs, I would start the path here: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14762 Just about everything you will need to know is there and alot more in the rest of the stickies floating around here.

If you have any questions after reading through that info, by all means post away
04-17-09, 11:13 AM   #4
Shoglo
A Defias Bandit
Smile Thank you

Thank you so much, I will get started now. Thank you so much!!!

Shoglo
04-18-09, 12:12 AM   #5
hostmaker
A Murloc Raider
Wow Interface is my favorite of those
04-18-09, 02:51 AM   #6
donchupa
Premium Member

Premium Member
hi matey well like most new people to wow adons u can almost guarentee u have addons that do the same thing, just remember before u dl(download) and install them to have a read on what they do.

try to stick to specific ones u need and dont grab the world and its oyster just because it sounds good.

Omen threat meter if your raiding.

Deadly Boss Mods is a most for boss info/annouces during raid fights.

Recount is handy to follow dps youve/raid is dealing makes it easy to have a look at your rotations etc.
(If your guilded you will probably find a list of required addons on your guild site for raiding)

Gatherer is a most if you have a gethering profession it will mark the nodes on the map for you that your guild mates have collected etc.

Rating buster is one that i find handy it gives u stats on the gear u are mousing over compared to the gear u are wearing great for seeing if that chest piece etc is better than what u are wearing.

that is the basics you will need there are loads more bar modifies etc etc plus class specific ones, hope that helps you to start with

Last edited by donchupa : 04-18-09 at 03:16 AM.
04-18-09, 08:12 PM   #7
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Without an install manager like WoWMatrix, it's just downloading and extracting files. It's not hard, just tedious.
04-24-09, 09:54 AM   #8
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

I also have had to resort to a fair amount of tedium in the name of being lazy, but hey, what can you do? >.>

I would encourage you to keep an eye on this site for the release of WoWI's addon manager. From what I've gathered thus far, it's going to be as simple as WoWMatrix, but with no issues regarding any legalities. ~_^

04-26-09, 06:32 AM   #9
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I would personally advise you to go slow with your addons. This is so you don't get over whelmed.

Try 1 addon at a time. Just 1.

Have the addon page on wow interface you downloaded it from open
Try out that addon.

Did you like it ? *alt-tab* and click the Favourite button.

This means that when you load up the Wow interface update client there your favourites will be to update

You can also go to the front wowinterface page and then go Options->Manage favourites for a nice list of your addon favourites listed by when it's been updated last.

Also give the addon update policy in my sig a go. I have 89 addons i watch regularly. Checking once per week over a cup of Jo and a bagel it takes me no more then 15 minutes to download 4 updates and install em.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Noob help, please